WiiU will have downloadable GameCube titles...

MigueelDnd

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
gamecube-sunshine.jpg

"NintendoGal.com Interviews Amber McCollom E3 2011

AM: My name is Amber McCollom and I’m the Director of Entertainment & Trend Marketing at Nintendo of America.

[...]

NG: I noticed on backwards compatibility at the press conference that the GameCube was missing. Why is this?

AM: You know it’s interesting that you bring up backwards compatibility and Nintendo’s history usually goes back one system. The Wii was compatible with GameCube and Wii U will be compatible with Wii and that’s pretty traditional in launches from Nintendo.

NG: So the Wii U will not support the discs or accessories?

AM: Actually the GameCube discs will not be compatible with Wii U, but a number of the games that were playable on GameCube can be downloaded from WiiWare."[/p]

If that guy is right, then it's gonna be awesome. We'll probably have to use the Classic Controller Pro to get a full experience, though; because accesories including controllers are not getting supported. And now that I think about it, it makes sense. First we got N64 games in Wii and now GameCube games for WiiU, sounds right.

icon11.gif
Source

Jockel

This is where you're wrong, kiddo
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
NintendoGal has always been full of shit.
They've been known for making up rumors on the spot.

Edit: dear god.
"You know it’s interesting that you bring up backwards compatibility and Nintendo’s history usually goes back one system."
"A number of the games that were playable on GameCube can be downloaded from WiiWare."
It's cringeworthy.

Goddamn retarded. If you fake articles, at least do it properly.

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If it is true then I am very happy with Nintendo, if I fellow their pattern on Virtual Console games;

Nes, Snes and N64 then it should go a generation father, example Nes, Snes, N64 and Ngc!
biggrin.gif

But this step should be logical. Because the Wiiu supports Wii games also.(And Wii did Nintendo Game Cube)

Also Cube had no virtual console so you can say that there is no pattern, in fact thats right but if you think logical then this could be true!

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
that is a complete con, nintendo are basically making people who own a huge library of gamecube games to rebuy them all over again, well a big FU to nintendo for trying to rip me off, they are getting just as greedy as sony.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, I'd be so hyped if this happened. I'd love to see some downloadable games from the Gamecube. Melee with the possibility of online makes me moist.

But....

machomuu said:
Wait...she's talking to someone in NoA? Then who gives a crap? What they say doesn't matter.
This.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
You know it’s interesting that you bring up backwards compatibility and Nintendo’s history usually goes back one system.

ermmm....and "usually" is refering to the DS playing gba games and the wii playing gc games... two instances hardly = "usually" for me

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
If this is true and that the Wii U can run GC games but the disc drive doesn't support those kind of discs, then I would at least like to see them make an external drive attachment for those that do own some GC games.

Old8oy said:
QUOTE said:
You know it’s interesting that you bring up backwards compatibility and Nintendo’s history usually goes back one system.

ermmm....and "usually" is refering to the DS playing gba games and the wii playing gc games... two instances hardly = "usually" for me

Don't forget the GBA playing GB/C games, and the GBC playing GB games.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The WiiU doesn't have a hard disk and only 8GB of flash memeory, this will fill up way too fast with gamecube games.

MigueelDnd

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
Wait...she's talking to someone in NoA? Then who gives a crap? What they say doesn't matter.
They're still part Nintendo, though; and they should know their stuff. Moreover, it is likely.

DiscostewSM said:
QUOTE(Giga_Gaia @ Jul 20 2011, 09:40 AM) The WiiU doesn't have a hard disk and only 8GB of flash memeory, this will fill up way too fast with gamecube games.

Didn't they say something about connecting an external HD to it? I swore they did.
You're right, WiiU will support external HDDs.
Quote from 1Up:
"WiiU support SDHC, but it's also been stated it will support external HDD via USB, so storage capacity isn't going to be a problem"
http://www.1up.com/news/wiiu-everything-you-need-to-know

Tonitonichopchop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I swear to God, if Nintendo announces a VC service with Gamecube games, I'm just gonna start sending Nintendo my money by the bagful. But like everyone else mentioned, this isn't really confirmed considering this article.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
so the wu isn't compatible with cube games but you can download them anyway for a price? i'll be keeping my wii to play cube games thank you. nintendo are starting to get a little bit greedy.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bladexdsl said:
so the wu isn't compatible with cube games but you can download them anyway for a price? i'll be keeping my wii to play cube games thank you. nintendo are starting to get a little bit greedy.
I agree partly. It's a bit concerning that you have to pay for it regardless of whether you have already bought it or not. But it's great for those of us who never had these games in our collection.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
jalaneme said:
that is a complete con, nintendo are basically making people who own a huge library of gamecube games to rebuy them all over again, well a big FU to nintendo for trying to rip me off, they are getting just as greedy as sony.
Are you retarded? They aren't FORCING you to get rid of your GameCube or Wii and stop playing your GCN games. If anything, you're greedy for bitching at Nintendo because they aren't going to keep adding backwards compatibility for old systems into their new consoles, just because you have a lot of GCN games you want to play. Here's a solution: BUY A GAMECUBE!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night