Hacking WiiU VWii "Wii U Menu" Channel exploit?

maxsnipez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it just me or has anyone found that little channel on the VWii a little interesting...
backtowiiu.png

Being the nature of how the channel seems to interact with the WiiU's OS from inside the VWii, Im wondering if that couldn't be tweaked on a Hacked VWii to make changes to the WiiU OS.

Tell me if I am just crazy but this is something that I have been thinking about for a little bit..

SirAileron

Seeker of Truths
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not that I hold any technical know-how on the subject, but from having stuck around here, I gather that the channel itself just exits Wii mode, and doesn't actually hold anything exploitable. Kinda like a traditional reset button in terms of functionality.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have a WiiU, so I don't know how it even behaves when you do that...

But, in addition to what SirAileron said, if it doesn't just reset the console, it would presumably be starting a new title to kick it back to the WiiU... while in vWii mode already, likely already having been hacked if you're asking this question. Point being anything that you try to do would probably be in vWii mode and not carry over to WiiU mode, because of a) when/where it was launched, and b) the WiiU probably flushes the memory to some extent before loading the SM, most likely foiling whatever was trying to be accomplished.

This still also brings up the point that if anything were to come of it, "Well, I think I found an exploit... now what?" in the sense of there being no publicly available SDK to work with, system functions not being fully documented, and the fact that everything would still need to be properly signed until the SM is hacked.

In other words: no, very, very unlikely that anything could possibly come of this, and even if something could, it's still a whiles off from even being usable.

SirAileron

Seeker of Truths
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty much right on the money with that one.

I feel I should also mention that this channel was one of the very first things to be looked at for a potential exploit, back when the Homebrew Channel was able to be installed on the vWii not even a month after the system's launch. :ph34r:

maxsnipez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, well its good to have my mind at ease about this strange little channel now.
Also have you heard any new news about any upcoming hacks other than wiikeyu. (which my not be legit yet..)
Last I checked it sounded like TeamTwiizers either quit or was quitting to prevent piracy and because of it "being a closed console".

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing really seems to be in the pipeline, afaik.

Just like with the 3DS, I think it's best to just keep it a "It'll happen when it happens" perspective. Both of those systems are still quite new, so maybe the right person just hasn't come along yet and gotten their fingers on it.

SirAileron

Seeker of Truths
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main thing was actually lack of interest, since the hardware wasn't really all that new/strange/magical to them. They already figured out how the tablet controller gets its video signal, which is actually just your standard WiFi network adapter using a modified output signal.

maxsnipez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I guess..
Sucks though, iPhone has yet to have iOS7 jailbreak confirmed, 3DS isn't hacked and WiiU isn't hacked either.
I guess hackers are just taking a break then.. :glare:

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Yeah I guess..
Sucks though, iPhone has yet to have iOS7 jailbreak confirmed, 3DS isn't hacked and WiiU isn't hacked either.
I guess hackers are just taking a break then.. :glare:
Why is it that guys like you always make these guesses at exactly the wrong time? Both the 3DS and wiiu can play their backward compatibility hacks/exploits just fine. They both have mod chips in beta (albeit not without issues on the 3DS). And tueidj recently updated devolution so you can play your gamecube games on your wiiu.

But here you are, saying that hackers are taking a break because you see a 'return to wiiu'-channel on your console. Right...

maxsnipez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is it that guys like you always make these guesses at exactly the wrong time? Both the 3DS and wiiu can play their backward compatibility hacks/exploits just fine. They both have mod chips in beta (albeit not without issues on the 3DS). And tueidj recently updated devolution so you can play your gamecube games on your wiiu.

But here you are, saying that hackers are taking a break because you see a 'return to wiiu'-channel on your console. Right...
Ok lets get things straight here.

1. The "return to wiiu" channel is not why I guessed that. The fact that there is no softmod for wiiu mode with a hbc is why
  2. I don't want a mod chip, I don't support piracy and don't want to open up my WiiU + The mod chip for WiiU is based off piracy as proven in their news area.
  3. I don't need backwards compatibility I need a WiiU hack to be equal if not greater than a Xbox360 with a Jtag/RGH.
  4. I want to be able to develop for the WiiU and see other possibilities with the gamepad.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Okay...seems like we were off on a wrong foot here. I'll reply to your points, but please keep in mind I don't mean offense. :)

1. why didn't you say that, then? :)
2. true. But it's still a hack.
3. I just started reading up on those, but AFAIK, neither of those hacks were what they were today within the first year. Which makes it still a bit early to assume things. :unsure:
4. good. :) In that case, I recommend you check out wiibrew.org if you haven't already. Yes, their documentation is for the wii. But knowing how to make homebrew for the wii will come much in handy when the thing does get hacked.

maxsnipez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay...seems like we were off on a wrong foot here. I'll reply to your points, but please keep in mind I don't mean offense. :)

1. why didn't you say that, then? :)
2. true. But it's still a hack.
3. I just started reading up on those, but AFAIK, neither of those hacks were what they were today within the first year. Which makes it still a bit early to assume things. :unsure:
4. good. :) In that case, I recommend you check out wiibrew.org if you haven't already. Yes, their documentation is for the wii. But knowing how to make homebrew for the wii will come much in handy when the thing does get hacked.

Ah, then my apologies for snapping, Im sorry if I offended you in any way as well.
And I mentioned the channel because its just a strange thing on a home menu, and thought it would be interesting to look into, and possibly find a exploit or something else helpful.
And as for wiibrew I have a old wii in the closet so I guess it wouldn't hurt.

maxsnipez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been playing Blackops2, Nintendo World, Scribble Nauts, new super mario bros u, Virtual Console and VWii.
It got kind of old though.. Waiting for Pikmin3 and some other Mario platformers..

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I didn't mean play games with your Wii, I meant play with your Wii as in develop homebrew for Wii. I was talking about your post #10, where you said you wanted to develop for the Wii U, but since that not hacked yet then there is always the Wii to develop for (or PS3).

Yea, that sig looks a bit tall yet. Look at post #3 for a better idea for sig size.

maxsnipez

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why does the size matter for signatures if Im hosting it on my own web server?
Might as well listen, don't want to get banned I guess..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Water park was quite fun
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    die?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes I'm in mortal danger
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes I'm in mortal danger