Gaming WiiU to have Retail Disks and Digitial Download Versions of Games

GolfDude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
- Don't expect a big price difference between retail and digital as digital will be sold at retailers, will be available at WiiU launch
- Digital pricing will be set by retailers and not Nintendo

http://gonintendo.com/

they are offering you to buy the dvd, buy it via the eshop directly, or buy a code card at a store and then input it in the wiiu shop to download it at launch

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
excellent, now if there was a slight reduction on the digital games if you have to supply your own storage i would be happy as a pig in muck

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This is awesome.

If there's no difference in price, I'll stick with physical copies.

It's more convenient in my opinion, and I like getting my money's worth by having the actual packaging. There's also the option of trading it in too.

Edit: Do you have a direct link to the article?

DarkShadow96

LA96£
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
This is awesome.

It's more convenient in my opinion, and I like getting my money's worth by having the actual packaging. There's also the option of trading it in too.

This this this and this.

Hopefully the retailers that are selling the games on the eShop put a discounted price on the games.

It makes sense anyways to do that since you gotta waste more space on the hard drive where as I'm assuming with the disks it's doing the same as the PS360.

Well anyway, it's good news that Big N is finally going the road of modern days =). (Recent Update of the 3DS makes me think of that sentence a lot more)

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Nintendo's Digital Distribution model is so ****ing stupid.

the whole ****ing point of dd is to cut out the retailer to pass savings on to the consumer
and nintendo are penny pinching because they'd have to accept more transactions.

But we've got this tweet: Digital wholesale price will not be the same as packaged as inventory risk is different
So retail SHOULD price them lower, will we see that? Let's see... Nope.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
This is awesome.

Hopefully the retailers that are selling the games on the eShop put a discounted price on the games.
They won't. Game resellers would throw a massive tantrum.
I can see the codes you buy from the store being cheaper though

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
No sauce?
https://twitter.com/#!/gibbogame
Investor's twitter feed.

Iwata doesn't think retail margins will be coming down as a result of digital.
Let's see...
1. sold at same place
2. you get a code, and no nice box
3. you have to download the game
4. you don't get it any earlier
5. likely to be the same price
6. no re-sale value

Yeah, it'll really effect retail game sale with all those great pro's.
^sarcasm.

Pretty sure this whole thing is about NOT cutting out the middleman. The middleman here is kind of big and really rich and probably won't like being cut out.
So what if they won't like it?
They're causing game developers to lose money by not giving them their fair share on used games.
Cut them out, and guess what: You don't need them anymore.

Reactions: 2 people

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol. Originally I was thinking "Yay, Digital Downloads! No More HeroesDisks" Then I put some thought into it if I used digital downloads:

- My downloads would be very slow
- I would not have the actual packaging
- My downloads would be big (I'd imagine a lot of games would be several GBs)
- My downloads would waste space on my HDD as opposed to being on a CD

See what I did? :creep:

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo's Digital Distribution model is so ****ing stupid.

the whole ****ing point of dd is to cut out the retailer to pass savings on to the consumer
and nintendo are penny pinching because they'd have to accept more transactions.

But we've got this tweet: Digital wholesale price will not be the same as packaged as inventory risk is different
So retail SHOULD price them lower, will we see that? Let's see... Nope.

You've never dealt with PSN... have you, or -any- Digital distrabution? Because most of the time they are the same at retail or online.

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
You've never dealt with PSN... have you, or -any- Digital distrabution? Because most of the time they are the same at retail or online.

face_gaben (I use steam)

Also, the PSV sells digital copies cheaper, doesn't it?

as consumers can purchase the software through the Internet, they do not have to visit the retail outlets, be concerned about an out-of-stock situation or even carry around multiple game cards in order to play digitally downloaded counterparts when they are away from home.​

1. sold at same place
2. you get a code, and no nice box
3. you have to download the game
4. you don't get it any earlier
5. likely to be the same price
6. no re-sale value
Good enough for me, really. If they hit the price-point on the head, I'm okay without having the box, and I don't mind not being able to trade it in if it's a good game.

ieatpixels

Trophies
XP
Country
Nice.
A few games on current consoles do this, but having all games doing it would be nice.

I'm not sure if I'd buy digital though. I'd need more details.
But if we could buy digitally from other countries, that'd be sick. No having to wait the couple weeks for it to come in the mail.

and yeah, I'll be annoyed if the prices aren't lower than physical retail copies. (Like iTunes & PSN currently do)

The Minecrafter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think that they should do occasional sales on digital distributions, like Steam does. That way, people are more likely to buy more games if one is a little bit cheaper for a limited time.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a feeling all games are going to be powered by either Steam, Origin, Uplay or a combo of the 3, on a game by game bases. I like Uplay because you get spendable point for your achievements, and the points can be spent on any Uplay game unlockables. It would be nice if Nintendo used the spendable points angle for all WiiU games. It's how the Nintendo coins of the 3DS should be earned. The walking system for coins is stupid.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Hey, VSauce. Where are your fingers?