WiiU pad feels surprising nice in the hand

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Deltaechoe, Nov 18, 2012.

Nov 18, 2012
  1. Deltaechoe
    OP

Member Deltaechoe The Dopefish

United States
    I have small hands and I thought that the pad would be absolutely atrocious for me since I usually have to end up buying smaller sized 3rd party controllers for everything. I was pleasantly surprised when I held the gamepad however, it seems nintendo did something right as this controller fits my hands pretty well.

So for anyone that is hesitant on purchasing because they think that the pad will be cumbersome, it really isn't, it's well balanced and fits a normal hand pretty well.

2. Kadin

Member Kadin Ain't no rest for the wicked...

United States
    And as many others have stated in the reviews, it's lighter than you'd expect. My only minor gripe is that I have to adjust my grip to get to the buttons when I'm holding it. Just have to adapt to it but otherwise it's a great controller.

3. Deltaechoe
    OP

United States
    Well the lightness isn't too surprising considering that the pad is pretty much a "dumb terminal" using the WiiU to do most of the processing. This eliminates the need for most of the dense heavy components, except the battery of course. If the handset actually did do the computing it would be much heavier.

4. LightyKD

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    the pad size is ok but im disappointed at the lack of analog triggers.

5. The Real Jdbye

Member The Real Jdbye D:

Norway
    Considering its battery life it probably has a tiny battery as well. And that's usually most of the weight with tablets, so I understood why they made it that way, but they should at least have given it a 7-8 hr battery life.

A dual core ARM CPU or similar wouldn't weigh too much though, it would increase the price sure, but it would be worth it just to have online functionality etc. when the Wii U was off.

6. Deltaechoe
    OP

United States
    Eh, the battery life seems fine to me, doesn't take too long to charge and you really shouldn't sit and play for as long as it takes to run out of battery power in the first place. That said, looking over the controller and the internals (especially the bottom port and power terminals) from what I can see right now with limited information it shouldn't be too hard to make some sort of battery extension for this system

7. Dartz150

Member Dartz150 GBATemp Official Lolicon Onii-chan™

Mexico
    I have tried one at Wallmart today, and yeah, the first sensation about it is amazing, it really doesn't feel that big, is like you were holding something more ligther than a PSP, srsly.

8. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    That gives me the feeling that Gamecube VC may not come unless games could be played without them.

9. LightyKD

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    It mostly affects Luigi's Mansion, Mario Sunshine, Rogue Ops and racing games. In those cases you could just use the Pro or Classic Controllers. Still... it's kinda stupid that there are no analog triggers. WTF Nintendo?!

10. McHaggis

Member McHaggis Fackin' Troller

United Kingdom
    I believe the pro controller also lacks analog triggers, so CC would be needed.

11. ieatpixels

Member ieatpixels GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    They'll probably revise the Pro controller. Didn't they revise the original Wii's Classic controller for golden eye? and the Circle Pad Pro was only made for Monster Hunter.

12. Deltaechoe
    OP

United States
    There are plenty of places to make attachments for the pad (just look on the backside) so I don't think there will be too much of a problem, if it is really necessary to have the triggers then nintendo can easily produce an attachment for the controller