Hacking WiiU now requiring update to use online features

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ODE will require a software exploit to set up, for what it's worth. That doesn't mean it's any harder to patch, though. The ODE hardware itself isn't really a hack. Also what's this about the kernel exploit being removed in 5.1.0? I've seen no evidence of this.

They did this on the Wii, too.

Some of the other consoles ODE's have brought unsigned code to the table. Sure a software exploit may be required initially just to install the backdoor, but once its installed, it won't matter if nintendo patches the exploit once the backdoor is installed though :)

As for the kernel exploit, I tried finding the thread in regards to that, so I think I'm mistaken lol. Taking a look at the Wii U hacking discussion, makes my comment about that null and void :P

loco365

Trophies
XP
They did this on the Wii, too.

They did? I never noticed it before. :/

Anyways, when I start my system, I get this for a message:

"In order to use online services, a system update is required. Go to System Settings to perform a system update."

Looks like I need to either update, or have Homebrew ;o;

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
This is baaaad... Ninty's bringing out their big guns. First block the only possible exploit with an update, then require you to install that update...

9on-coincidence-i-think-not.jpg

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is baaaad... Ninty's bringing out their big guns. First block the only possible exploit with an update, then require you to install that update...

Updating your system to patch an exploit that could be used to harm users and developers and then telling users they need to update to play online. That's... pretty standard fare for updates on any platform.

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They did? I never noticed it before. :/

Anyways, when I start my system, I get this for a message:

"In order to use online services, a system update is required. Go to System Settings to perform a system update."

Looks like I need to either update, or have Homebrew ;o;

HOMEBREW!!!!! :P

As for the wii, they're attempts to block people from using online with a hacked console was completely futile. They blocked certain channels from accessing the internet without updating (shop channel, weather channel etc etc etc), but people quickly found a way to update those channels accordingly without touching they're system menu, or any IOS's outside of the ones required for the updated channels in question. As for playing games online, you could play online regardless of system menu version. If the game booted (via blocking disc updates or w/e) and it had online functionality, it would work just fine with an ancient system menu. Reason being is the system menu didn't actually have anything to do with the games running. It literally just serves as a menu for launching different channels and games, but the minute you launch something through it, the system menu closes entirely. Its not even running any processes in the background lol. Everything is handled by IOS's from that point on. Have the appropriate IOS installed? The game will run perfectly, as simple as that. That was a major flaw in the original Wii's design.

With the Wii U its a different story, as the Cafe OS handles all of Wii U mode for the most part (its always running). So even when you try to connect in game, it still kicks you out and gives you that error. Nintendo isn't playing games with the security on the Wii U (pun intended). They're going to continue aggressively stomping out anything sort of hacking they possibly can. They don't want another Wii Scene on the Wii U. They're making this pretty clear. But us hackers and devvers are going to prove them wrong :)

Reactions: Ryanrocks462

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lame. But oh well. I kinda feel bad with all the hacking my Wii and vWii already have. If Nintendo is smart enough this time to at least implement some restrictions, then I'll hand it to the this time. Plus I feel like this is an indication that if in the future if they can figure out if you've hacked your Wii U mode, they may be able to block online features for you entirely. Happened with the PS3 and 360, don't see why it couldn't happen on the Wii U now either.

That's why you keep it on the version it is for all of eternity (or upgrade with patched downloaded updates once you know they're safe) so they have no way to be told that you've hacked your Wii U because they get no data sent to them about that :P Simple logic. Your Wii U is a sandbox(for the most part), once you have access to a kernel exploit and IOSU access you pretty much can do whatever the hell you want (provided you know what you're doing).

TeamScriptKiddies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Updating your system to patch an exploit that could be used to harm users and developers and then telling users they need to update to play online. That's... pretty standard fare for updates on any platform.

In an ideal world, all platforms would be open and free (as in freedom) :)

loco365

Trophies
XP
You make a good argument there, TeamScriptKiddies, but I think the reason as to why they did this is so that people can't go online with a modified system and hack the online like the Wii had with Mario Kart and people abusing the online. So in a way, it keeps the online clean and fair, but at the same time, gives those that want to keep downgraded a headache. At this point, I might as well just cut my Wii U off from internet access and allow it only localhost access since I can't play online anymore.

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
You make a good argument there, TeamScriptKiddies, but I think the reason as to why they did this is so that people can't go online with a modified system and hack the online like the Wii had with Mario Kart and people abusing the online. So in a way, it keeps the online clean and fair, but at the same time, gives those that want to keep downgraded a headache. At this point, I might as well just cut my Wii U off from internet access and allow it only localhost access since I can't play online anymore.

You're right, I guess the need to block IP's is gone since all online is disabled without latest update installed...

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

loco365

Trophies
XP
I find it funny though, the vWii doesn't check for the latest firmware to be installed, which means I can still make purchases on my vWii and play games on there, which is nice. I won't update to 5.1.1 until a more solid bug than the browser exploit is found, though, so that I can have the ability to jailbreak on a newer firmware and still have online.

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find it funny though, the vWii doesn't check for the latest firmware to be installed, which means I can still make purchases on my vWii and play games on there, which is nice. I won't update to 5.1.1 until a more solid bug than the browser exploit is found, though, so that I can have the ability to jailbreak on a newer firmware and still have online.
How is any one bug more solid than another? Anything that couldn't be patched in an update will work regardless of system software version.

headpie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is any one bug more solid than another? Anything that couldn't be patched in an update will work regardless of system software version.

I think he means that the browser exploit only might lead to a usable exploit going public. So it isn't solid in the sense that it isn't done? Just a guess...

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe there will be a vuln that can't be patched... 0_0

Well yeah, my point is that any bug that couldn't be patched would be at a really low level and thus independent of system software version. Though I guess you'd still need a higher-level exploit to get at whatever that'd be.

crwys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow I was just playing online today too.
Went on and checked, yep, wants a system update -_-. Think I am going to update then, I've been wanting to buy some stuff off the shop channel anyways. Maybe i'll go buy another Wii U, one for homebrew.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1