Hacking WiiU - firmware update v4.0.3

lucasanti

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Can someone confirm if the Homebrew Channel on vwii is still working after the upgrade to the new WiiU fimrware v4.0.3 ?

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
what does ios 59 do? is that the one for wii u gamepad? sorry if thats a silly question. also ive read on a few other sites its fine but havnt done it myself.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
what does ios 59 do? is that the one for wii u gamepad? sorry if thats a silly question. also ive read on a few other sites its fine but havnt done it myself.
IOS59 is used for ONE game which is, to my knowledge, a Japanese-only game. (it's interestingly enough, though, the part of vWii that has received the most updates ... which kinda makes me curious.)

My homebrew channel works fine, no worries.

Reactions: jammybudga777

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IOS 59 is also used for the vWii to communicate with wii u hardware somehow. That is how they can add features where the vWii can use the gamepad by only updating IOS59. Also worth noting that IOS59 is the only one with the WFS module, which is (apparently) the same filesystem used by the Wii U.

Reactions: jammybudga777

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Also worth noting that IOS59 is the only one with the WFS module, which is (apparently) the same filesystem used by the Wii U.
This would make more sense. Only one IOS is loaded at a time so IOS59 is ONLY running when THAT game is running (which would mean it's the ONLY game to be able to use the gamepad ... which is not the case.) The change to allow/disallow video to be shown on the gamepad is done when still in Wii U mode. Nothing in vWii mode can have any effect on it other than setting/disabling the widescreen letterbox setting.

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They have updated IOS59 several times since the release of the Wii U, notably every time they add features to the vWii. I know that only one IOS is loaded at a time, and that the IOS is specified by the running title. I suspect that IOS 59 is loaded at some point (possibly by the system menu) to set up connections to Wii U hardware. Actually, what IOS does the vWii SM run on? It seems odd that they would keep updating this IOS in particular when there are no updates for it on the real Wii, and it isn't used by any games or channels outside japan.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Updated to 4.0.3 (tried to get around it, but to no avail) all is working well :P Why they patched an IOS for a game not even in the US or EU is beyond me.

I too tried to find a work around for this, with no luck... Thats a scary thing to discover as now they can prevent us from stopping the update, the only way to not update is the take the Wii U off the network!

if an update happened to come that DID block exploits and the HBC, there isn't a lot we could do the in the prevention of updating if we didn't know one was coming!

that said, i think smash stack is pretty solid in the way it works, I've read that it can't really be patched very easily so i guess newer installers for the HBC would arise :)

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I too tried to find a work around for this, with no luck... Thats a scary thing to discover as now they can prevent us from stopping the update, the only way to not update is the take the Wii U off the network!

if an update happened to come that DID block exploits and the HBC, there isn't a lot we could do the in the prevention of updating if we didn't know one was coming!

that said, i think smash stack is pretty solid in the way it works, I've read that it can't really be patched very easily so i guess newer installers for the HBC would arise :)

Yes it is scary indeed and it's quite a problem these days (it's the reason why the wii u and 3ds scene can't prosper like it did in the past), the only way to stop the auto updating is to completely delete the internet settings on the wii u prior to the exploit being known and that would also mean turing off your router too so the console doesn't phone home.

I wouldn't be bothered if nintendo removed homebrew channel on wii u, my old wii still works and that will never be able to auto update like new consoles do.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't be bothered if nintendo removed homebrew channel on wii u, my old wii still works and that will never be able to auto update like new consoles do.

Thats true! The problem with me is that i just started up my own gaming channel on youtube, and i hook my Wii U up to my capture device, if i ever want to do any sort of retro game I play it via emulation so i can record it :)

the capture device only has HDMI and component so i'd have to buy a component cable for my Wii to record :P

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Thats true! The problem with me is that i just started up my own gaming channel on youtube, and i hook my Wii U up to my capture device, if i ever want to do any sort of retro game I play it via emulation so i can record it :)

the capture device only has HDMI and component so i'd have to buy a component cable for my Wii to record :P

Component cables are dirt cheap for the wii, I've even seen them in poundland a few times too lol

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is a secret to everybody.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/IOS59

Oh Nintendo and their ever-trivial updates :D A fix for an unreleased game, how cute ;) They sure know how to troll lol XD. I mean seriously, what the hell are they trying to do? I'm disconnecting my console from the network.

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my wii u just updated itself, although I blocked WiFi last time it was on. so that fucker already downloaded the update and forced me to install it when it booted up the next time. I am going to MAC-adress block my Wii U, now. Fool me once, Big N...

Reactions: Ray Lewis

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay