Hacking Wiiu and vWii on same hdd

fanni

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Has anyone tried to partition the WiiU usb hdd so that we can set up the other partition for the vWii

Will save me swapping the hdd's over if i want to play some old wii games

Reactions: Matson25
D

Deleted User

As of now, this is not possible.
If you want to connect a hard drive to the Wii U OS, the Wii U requires that it owns the entire hard drive. This means formatting the entire drive in Nintendo's own proprietary file system. Attempting to partition the device later on will lead the Wii U to think the drive is corrupted, and it will re-format the device again, removing any partitions you created.

The only way to fix this is by CFW, but the redNAND tools need to be polished a little, first.

Zonse

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The only way to fix this is by CFW, but the redNAND tools need to be polished a little, first.

So what you're saying is there's hope for this in the future? Every time I've seen this question asked it seems to be a definitive "No, it's not possible". I've been holding off getting an external until partitioning becomes feasible.

D

Deleted User

So what you're saying is there's hope for this in the future? Every time I've seen this question asked it seems to be a definitive "No, it's not possible". I've been holding off getting an external until partitioning becomes feasible.
Yeah, with CFW we can modify the system to accept partitioned drives, or even accept FAT32 or NTFS file systems as input.
All in due time, my friend.

K

KingpinSlim

Yeah, with CFW we can modify the system to accept partitioned drives, or even accept FAT32 or NTFS file systems as input.
All in due time, my friend.
Are you absolutely certain you know what you are talking about?

You are aware that NTFS is a proprietary format by microsoft and support for it is likely never going to happen right?

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Are you absolutely certain you know what you are talking about?

You are aware that NTFS is a proprietary format by microsoft and support for it is likely never going to happen right?
Since USBloaderGX, amongst others, already supports it on the Wii/vWii side of things - maybe the guy was just talking about that partition?? ;)

K

KingpinSlim

Since USBloaderGX, amongst others, already supports it on the Wii/vWii side of things - maybe the guy was just talking about that partition?? ;)
But how does that any sense when Linux has so many issues supporting ntfs and mac just... doesn't do it.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
NTFS has more features than just "file copy/delete/rename" (like streams, rights, and sparse files).
on Wii and homebrew in general, that's enough for what you need (launching games or videos etc.)

we don't need a full support, just what's required for the homebrew.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Can't wait for season 2