WIIU 5.4.0 updated to 5.5.1 on its own

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Maverick923, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Maverick923
    OP

Maverick923 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2015
    United States
    My WiiU that has been offline until now because of the most recent developments. The console has been prompting me to update, and I kept saying no. Now I see it updated on its own even though auto updates is disabled. I did not authorize any update. Has this happened to anyone else?

Last edited by Maverick923, Mar 7, 2016
    street likes this.

2. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    I forgot which firmware version it was (was about a year ago), but it had in the changelog that it would download firmware updates in the background. It obviously can't install the firmware in the background, but it could be just a wrong click from one of your room members.

Didn't have it happen myself. But really: there's a good reason why all guides on this section start with actually blocking the site outside of your wiiu.

3. skalienx

skalienx Advanced Member

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Wii U will update and install system updates in the background, in sleep mode, if you blink, ect... unless you block updates with tubehax or by blocking update servers in your router (ideally both). Automatic updates setting pertains to game updates, not FW updates.

Last edited by skalienx, Mar 7, 2016
  4. Maverick923
    OP

Maverick923 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2015
    United States
    It was just me, and I did not even see it install. I just booted it up and it was there. I had auto update disabled. This is super disappointing. I could not even get homebrew launcher installed.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

That sucks!!! I thought all this time it was for FW updates. I only got to play pong and that is as far as I got. I sure hope this does not happen to anyone else.

5. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Damn, that's kinda annoying. I hope it gives a warning while it does all of this, as I tend to just unplug shit, to save energy.

I don't own a Wii-U, yet.

6. crwys

crwys GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 26, 2008
    United States
    Why do people keep making threads like this. No one fucking cares, boo hoo, waaaaa, read the stickies. Christ

cmdj13, shaneod, CeeDee and 5 others like this.
  7. Raylight

Raylight Paranoid Temper

May 10, 2014
    United States
    Who wants to know?
    you should be fine just block the future update that kernal exploit should be out soon and it supports 5.5.1 afaik

Last edited by Raylight, Mar 7, 2016
  8. deinonychus71

deinonychus71 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 12, 2008
    United States
    Chicago
    Don't blink. Blink and your console is updated. Nintendo is fast. Faster than you can believe. Don't turn your back. Don't look away. And don't blink. Good Luck.

Sorry.

Ailuros27, cmdj13, Slashㅤ and 10 others like this.
  9. Raylight

Raylight Paranoid Temper

May 10, 2014
    United States
    Who wants to know?
    fast but not fast enough to keep up with the trends.

10. Maverick923
    OP

Maverick923 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2015
    United States
    You cared if you replied. You have added nothing constructive to this thread. Why not try some positive reinforcement. I am sorry, but I use google to do my searches, and maybe I did not see a stickie.

Fatih120 and Raylight like this.
  11. crwys

crwys GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 26, 2008
    United States
    Lol you think someone replying to a thread means they care about a certain post? Hilarious.
    Stickies are "stuck" at the top of every forum category. (Generally) You can't miss them. And are pretty much common knowledge that they exist.
    Don't worry I won't "care" any more.
    I'll just leave this here.
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/goodbye...-was-fun-while-it-lasted.417723/#post-6142253

Azeryn likes this.
  12. Maverick923
    OP

Maverick923 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 28, 2015
    United States
    Thank you for your input. I am sorry my thread was such an inconvenience for such a veteran user like yourself. I know you don't care, but thank you for your response.

digipimp75 likes this.
  13. yahoo

yahoo G͝B͢A͜t͞em҉p̡ R̨e͢g̷ul̨aŗ

Aug 4, 2014
    United States
    [​IMG]

14. wartimekillers

wartimekillers Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2016
    Indonesia
    I care, yesterday my wiiu updated itself even i've setup tubehax and block nintendo server url, it's somehow just still connected and updated

15. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tuvalu
    My wiiu tried to download the update itself, it changed the DNS settings on its own somehow and got around tubehax.

16. Raylight

Raylight Paranoid Temper

May 10, 2014
    United States
    Who wants to know?
    It resets the dns everytime i go into internet settings

17. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tuvalu
    That explains maybe what happened to me, I cancelled the update by powering off and then running the update remover and it got rid of it.

18. Raylight

Raylight Paranoid Temper

May 10, 2014
    United States
    Who wants to know?
    Im already on 5.5.1 so idk i get the "X" on the updater but everytime i go into internet settings the dns it back to factory settings

19. jmrodrigues

jmrodrigues Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 13, 2016
    I don't know how would it change the DNS automatically. I just keep a fixed IP, fixed DNS to TubeDNS and Wii MAC blocked on the router, no issues here.

20. Cava

Cava GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 26, 2016
    Hungary
    I was a lot in internet settings but never changed it back the dns settings or any other settings to factory. (5.3.2)