wii's graphics

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by chaseincats, Jun 11, 2008.

Jun 11, 2008

wii's graphics by chaseincats at 10:19 PM (2,903 Views / 0 Likes) 26 replies

1. chaseincats
    OP

Member chaseincats GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    given that the wii is far less powerful than 360/ps3

Mario Galaxy was one of the best looking games on any platform last year (w/o HD of course)

if the wii is powerful enough to make games look as good as mario galaxy why do other games look so ugly?

2. Endogene

Member Endogene GBAtemp Fan

France
    because the avarage buyer doesnt care so the publisher doesnt bother

3. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    because developers see the wii as a quick way to earn some cash with shovelware.
    which is very unfortunate ofcourse. indeed galaxy has shown us that the wii is capable of far better graphics

4. Celice

Member Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    It's not just shovelware. Mario Kart Wii looks slightly better than a GameCube game, due to some lighting effects, and that's really it. Same goes to Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn and other games.

It's one of the things I really am starting to hate about Nintendo. But there are a few games which look good--Lost Winds isn't even a full title and it has some better looking models than many other games, even Toki Tori if you feel like chucking that in there. What really irks me the most, though, is how all games look so good on the back of the box, and nothing like that on your actual TV. Not to mention, the Wii only putting out a max of 480p--I'd like to take advantage of my setup Nintendo, if possible.

5. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    I think that's close to the truth, but not quite. I'd say that the "average" buyer perhaps is willing to settle with less simply because the price is less and the promise of Wii-specific gameplay is something that drives them / us to buy Wii games with sub-par graphics. But everyone loves a good show, and visuals have always had a huge "aww..." factor for people. Graphics matter to the average buyer, I think, but people still buy the games. Hopefully it will change as the whole Wii fad dies down. At some point publishers will have only gamers to sell to again on Wii, and we'll see better material. We're already seeing better-quality visuals on the horizon.

Another thing, though, that I think plays into the low-quality of graphics for some games is that we're seeing a lot fledgling developers work on Wii games. But the 360 has its share of dogs, too, in terms of graphics. If publishers can require a level of visuals on par with the best the Xbox1 had to offer, I'll be satisfied in that department.

6. Gamesphere

Member Gamesphere GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I believe the reason is due to lazy developers.While not all developers are lazy, look at the shovelware being produced for the Wii. What is their core audience? Kids and Family Casual Gamers. These 2 groups could really care less about the graphical capabilities of games let alone acknowledge them to the calibur that veteran gamers do.

With SMG,SSBB,Zack and Wiki,and RE4 as proof, Im sure theWii can produce Launch-360 graphic capabilitiy.

The lightingand textures in SSBB, along with the color and shapes of SMG, With some time and honest effort the Wii can produce very good looking games.

It is said that the Wii has more power than the original Xbox, Anyone remember Conker: Live and Reloaded or Ninja Gaiden and how great that looked?The same is very much possible on Wii proved with SMG.

7. LagunaCid

Member LagunaCid GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Gamecube was about as powerful as the original Xbox...

8. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    yes. and i had trouble even saying that it was better than a ps2 like a week ago.

9. dmonkey21

Member dmonkey21 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Not quite. More powerful than ps2, tho. They had to down-size textures for re4 when it went to the ps2 XD. I think you're getting ahead of yourself if you think the wii can have launch 360 graphics. Go back and play Perfect Dark Zero or PGR 3. Wii can't do that. The developers of Galaxy were able to ration the wii's graphics power in such a way that it made the game look great, but if you compare just the models, textures, or shaders used in galaxy by themselves, they are sub-par to most other games. Basically, I think Galaxy's graphics show more how good developers can make the most out of a systems weaker hardware and create good looking games, but it has nothing to do with the machine itself. The same went for the Gamecube. Many gamecube games looked better than a lot of the xbox's, but it was due to the developer's care in creating them.

10. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    It is a shame that publishers don't give their devs enough time to add a bit of sparkle and polish to their games, but thing is its cheaper for them to do so. Even last year we had PS2 games that looked like PSX, its just the way it is.

I'm no graphic whore, I prefer style over graphics, to me Wind Waker is the most beautiful game ever made but I think the standard should be at least Zelda TP & Resident Evil 4. Ok they were Gamecube ports but I still find them more than acceptable nowadays.

11. MagNetCZ

Member MagNetCZ GBAtemp Fan

Czech Republic
    Yes, there's definitely not enough polish on most of the games. Even lowpoly and lowres games can look pretty good if the vertices are placed correctly and the pixels plotted thoughtfully. I like how the developers of the upcoming Wii game Conduit which looks pretty damn good (at least in some places) have the "Look at what the Wii can do! Stop slacking you damn other devs!" attitude [​IMG] It definitely looks like Unreal or Half-Life for the Wii, the MP can be in my opinion damn great with all these weapons and stuff [​IMG]. But thing is really, they're trying to prove that there is place for such game on the system, if they happen to be right there will prolly be more games like that but if they fail they'll simply hear "We told you ." from the other publishers and devs and there won't be too many new hardcore games like that. I'll be prolly buying it, if only because I've still got WiiD in my Wii and even with the newest upgrade, of which I'm not even sure if it works, it still has the 001 error.

12. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    Simply put they're not trying and no one with any power will take them to task over it so it continues right along with all the false excuses chucked around it such as not caring, no game base for X title, etc when all of it when you really look has no fact to it as the matter has still yet to be outright tested with something quality outside of 1st party titles sadly. Games like 'The Conduit' and others who are using the TEV system in the Wii to do most the gfx effects the other guys can do (just not in HD obviously) do bother and look damn fantastic in what we have seen so far and that's before all the spit n' polish.

13. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    That's pretty much how I see it. Resident Evil 4 (GCN) was one of the best-looking games of last generation, perhaps on par with Ninja Gaiden, so there's plenty to be said for the finesse developers are able to exhibit in coaxing out the most from the hardware they're working with.

14. Defiance

Member Defiance oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...

United States
    It's just Nintendo using their cheap marketing tricks.

15. chaseincats
    OP

Member chaseincats GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    makes sense thanks guys

16. TanookiSuit

Member TanookiSuit Game Reviewer/Writer -- formerly Vampire Hunter D

United States
    I just posted an answer to this thread in the CONDUIT one so sorry if some read it as it's a cut-n-paste...

^Don't believe the fanboy assholes because the Wii can do 'current-gen' effects such as dynamic environment mapping, interactive water with real-time reflection, and four-stage texture composition including gloss, diffuse, and bump mapping you mentioned and more.

Do a little google search for TEV (a Texture Environment Engine) that the unit has. It will allow for all that and more as Hollywood is capable of a pixel fill-rate of almost 2 G/pixels. Having such a high fill-rate capability means that the Wii can perform advanced shaders, advanced texture filtering and advanced multi-layer texture effects without much hassle, especially as it only has to produce graphics @ 480p.

I yanked those last 2 sentences from here: http://forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?p=2436097
    (Wii Graphics Myths debunked) and also hits on the ability to do physics Wii hating douchebags tout as impossible with even a nice youtube file(if it's still active) linked that dispels that nicely apparently too.

I suggest giving this the 5min or less you'd need to scan it and be happy to know Wii developers are mostly lazy asses and the system can do a crap load more such as Conduit is now making people aware of.

17. Hardcore Gamer

Member Hardcore Gamer GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Okami proves it's better than a PS2, there's a comparison trailer on gametrailers and the PS2 version seems really washed out and grey looking compared to the vibrant colours of the Wii version.

Personally, it doesn't bother me. I didn't buy a Wii because I was a graphics whore, I bought it to have some fun and it's given me it in spades. I just need a mame disk that works properly and I'm the happiest Wii owner ever.

18. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    The internal hardware architecture of Wii is directly based on Gamecube. Its CPU, GPU, and audio processor, are functionally identical in most known ways except clock rate. It's part of the reason Wii lacks optical audio or output above 480p.

This is also why Gamecube games run without any co-processor or emulation. Even PS2 and DS use a co-processor for backwards compatibility, Wii does not.

19. da_head

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    metriod prime: corruption looked pretty sweet too

20. OrcMonkey©

Banned OrcMonkey© Banned

IT looked
    extremely awesome