WiiPlay as a Channel?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by HowardC, May 4, 2008.

May 4, 2008

WiiPlay as a Channel? by HowardC at 4:03 AM (4,767 Views / 0 Likes) 27 replies

1. HowardC
    OP

Member HowardC GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Ok, first off I recently found out about the wad packers and the VC/wiiware releases because I wasn't aware of this site and other more sites are too scared to post legitimate news if it leans towards piracy. So if what I'm asking has been covered before, please let me know.

After breaking apart a wii play iso, it appears to me that the actual game files are less than 100mb! I also noticed that the exe in the system folder of the game partition is a dol file. From what I understand, dol files are packable into wads. Would it be possible, with some hacking, to put wii play and possibly wii sports on a channel? Those games are sort of pick up and play for a minute or two, so it makes sense to me to simply have them in the menu for easy access. I tried some experiments with a elf/dol launcher, but I didn't get anywhere. I think the problem lies in the fact that the main.dol is in a "system" folder and all the game's other files are in a "root" folder at the root of the partition.

Has anyone else attempted this? Any ideas?

2. chascheung52

Newcomer chascheung52 Newbie

Hong Kong
    Um... I think to put wii sports on a channel is impossible.
    For wii internal memory just only 2Kmb.

3. Supertag

Newcomer Supertag Advanced Member

United States
    What? The Wii's internal flash ram is 512MB. A small game could theoretically fit on the internal memory/ 2GB SD card

4. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States

What ever your smoking dude, I think I speak for GBATemp's entire user base when I say "I WANT SOME!"

You have a Wii with 2000megabytes of internal memory... DAMN! The rest of us only got 512megabytes... that's one hell of a mod dude! Post some instructions on how you did that!

5. teonintyfive

Member teonintyfive GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Greece
    I thought he meant kilobytes.
    And you understood gigabytes, because 2k MB = 2000 MB. But I guess that 'm' was added in confusion.
    [​IMG]

6. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    2000 divided by 1024 = 1.95

So, if he were saying he had 2000Megabytes, that would be 1.95Gigabytes.

If he meant 2000Kilobytes, that would be 1.95Megabytes.

Both very wrong. The Wii has 512Megabytes, or 524,288Kilobytes of internal storage. Where he got 2000 whatever is very confusing, and it's actually making my brain hurt to try to figure out how.

7. chascheung52

Newcomer chascheung52 Newbie

Hong Kong
    Dear all,

Sorry for I make a mistake on this topic.
    Let me to clarify.
    I misunderstand the memory size below.
    That should be socket quantity.
    [​IMG]

BR
    CHAS

8. HowardC
    OP

Member HowardC GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Heh, maybe I asked this in the wrong forum then. I thought you guys were aware of the fact that a lot of wii isos are full of garbage data. The actual size of wii play seems to be around 88 megs unless I'm missing something. (Which I obviously could be). Wii sports could be 2 gigs in size if that's what he meant, but considering that it's roughly the same game with the same amount of data as wii play I doubt it. 250 megs would be a reasonable size though. Regardless, it should squeeze on there size-wize, I'm just asking what would be required to take the dol file of an iso along with the data and get it running inside a wad/channel.

9. Knocks

Member Knocks GBAtemp Advanced Fan

nevermind

10. Arakon

Member Arakon GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    modification of the entire game code to make it look at the internal flash instead of the dvd-rom, and that is likely the smallest problem.
    also, you'd fill up your available space to the very brink with a 250 MB game. the nand has quite a few megs reserved for system space etc.

11. superrob

Member superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Denmark
    Well god luck getting a Wii game to fit on the around 200MB Flash we can use on the Wii.

12. Knocks

You should start by looking at smaller GameCube games. Animal Crossing, for example, is so small that once it's loaded in GameCube's RAM, it never looks back on the disc again. And it won't fill your NAND.

13. Arakon

Germany
    and it won't ever work, because in GC mode, there is no NAND memory. that's why you still have to use GC memcards to play GC games.

14. Knocks

Pay attention. Once you're in GC mode, of course you can't access Wii-specific features. You launch the game prior to switching to GC mode though. Once AC is loaded, it doesn't need NAND or the SD slot anymore.

15. Arakon

Germany
    wtf? how exactly are you gonna launch a GC game without going to GC mode? and there's at most 3-5 games small enough to fit completely into RAM AND have enough RAM left for the game to work.

16. Knocks

Animal Crossing is not just small enough, the game does not access the DVD drive AT ALL once it's booted. You can take the disc out and play it for weeks. So the software itself won't care where it's loaded from.

17. Hit

Member Hit GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Actually games that ar trimmed are smaller when they get rarred, but when you unrar them they just appear as the actual size again atleast I thought

18. bardeg

Newcomer bardeg Member

United States
    cool

Last edited by bardeg, Nov 28, 2016
  19. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom

I have a whole pile of books that say there are 1024 bytes in a kilobyte, 1024 kilobytes in a megabyte, 1024 megabytes in a gigabyte etc.
    Are all my books wrong?
    It is far easyer for a computer to represent 1024 than it is 1000, you can only blame early computer guys for calling 1024 bytes a kilobyte etc.

[edit] Although, it would seem, my book are all out of date. for some f*cked up reason 'the powers that be' decided to CHANGE the meaning of the term kilobyte, megabyte etc. after around 50 years of use!!!!!!1111!!!!! so now 1MB if 1000bytes rather than 1024!!! needless to say there have been dozens of lawsuits about this (people being pissed off that there mas storage device has a lower capacity than advertised). So now I stand corrected and totally pissed off that now I have to learn new words for things we already have old words for.

20. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    2mb != 2MB

bits vs bytes