WiiOSX Tool

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by RisnDevil, Aug 15, 2011.

Aug 15, 2011

WiiOSX Tool by RisnDevil at 8:22 PM (3,105 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. RisnDevil
    OP

Newcomer RisnDevil Advanced Member

United States
    Ok, so I'm stuck in Afghanistan right now. I don't have a Wii, but I DO have access to some Wii games. I have also been messing around with Dolphin to learn what it can do since I've never used it. Now, I don't have the ability to just pop games into a Wii, back them up, transfer them to my Mac, and then use them in Dolphin.

SO, I started doing some searching.

I found WiiOSX.

But there's a problem......it won't read retail discs.

So I searched some more.....

The same guy who made WiiOSX made WiiOSX Tool. In one section of his website (http://chris-fletcher.com/projects/), it says it will make your Mac able to read retail Wii discs (or at least not kick them out so other programs such as WiiOSX can read them to back them up): trying to download directly from the link in the section that states this fails. Finding another section of his website that mentions this file (http://chris-fletcher.com/tag/tricks/) it does not state anything about the tool allowing your Mac to read the disc, but the download link here works. I downloaded this software, and surprise surprise, it is not making my Mac read the Wii discs.

So, long story (not so) short, I need to find a tool (or tools), preferably for Mac, that will allow my Mac to directly backup RETAIL Wii discs for me to use with Dolphin. Worst case scenario, if I have to, I can try any programs needed on my Windows Virtual Machine, though no promises it will work if the Mac wants to kick the disc out anyways.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    First: You should read better. I quote from the Blog of the creator of WiiOSX:
    Like you now maybe know, only special drives can read Wii-Discs (for example the LG GDR-8164B). You would need to buy one, install it successfully (no idea if this would work on a Mac or via an VM. Windows is a must-have anyways.) and then use RAWDump to dump it. After that, you should be able to use it in Dolphin.

Now, it would be easier, cheaper and faster if some friend of yours already has a Wii with an Homebrew-Channel and the latest IOS58. In that case, just use CleanRip, which should be easy to use, just follow the steps it will give you.

Also: Dolphin isn't perfect, and needs a very powerfull computer. I wouldn't really recommend to use it, but it's your choice. Just be shure that the experience won't be 1:1 with a real Wii and you will experience problems, slow speed and bugs.

3. RisnDevil
    OP

Newcomer RisnDevil Advanced Member

United States
    You know, if you would have read everything I stated, you would have seen that I understood what you said and quoted from the author, having looked at the site myself. Now, what I asked, which could have been answered WITHOUT the snobby, high-and-mighty connotation, is if there is anything out there that would allow me to do this (considering his blog posting is greater than two years old and things DO change).

So, THANK YOU for your EXTREMELY HELPFUL answer. Truly.

4. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    I don't see any snobism in his answer (but I see some fast aggressive in yours)
    His answer is actually valid and tells you that only special drives can read legit Wii discs

To quote WiiOSXTool author:

So no, you didn't read correctly.
    You're welcome.

5. terminal_illness

Member terminal_illness Dark Hadou Master

Canada

how can people act stupid and expect us to not call them stupid... seriously. and then he has the nerve to say the response he got wich was well worded and helpful was snobbish? GFY.

i also think its hilarious when people get angry for being told to search harder. did you read the entire internet? no? then stfu and go look again.