Wiinja: Official GBAtemp Review

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Costello, Feb 9, 2007.

Feb 9, 2007
  1. Costello
    OP

Administrator Costello Headmaster

Wiinja: Official GBAtemp Review

The first Wii modchip

[​IMG] Update: The Wiinja team have officially decided to drop the price of the Wiinja to 25 euro (+taxes), for all new orders and preorders starting from 09/02/2007 !

shaunj66 and Costello have just finished writing the Official GBAtemp Review of the Wiinja.

[​IMG]

The Wiinja is the first real Wii modchip. It supports both Wii & GameCube backups, but only from your own region (PAL or NTSC-U/J).
    Want to know more?

[​IMG] Read the review!

2. azndragonguy115

Member azndragonguy115 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
  3. yee

Member yee DOTA 4EVER

Canada
    Time to read!

EDIT: Product sounds excellent, same as with the review, both excellent.

Time to save up for a Wii.

4. KINGOFNOOBS

Member KINGOFNOOBS GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    interesting...

5. Renegade_R

Member Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    Its strange...the way you word it, it seems like NTSC-U consoles will have no problem playing the NTSC-J games. Is this true or not?

6. ProdigySim

Member ProdigySim GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Can you do GCN backups on full size DVD-Rs?
    Why aren't there any comments on GCN backups/homebrew?

7. Magus19

Member Magus19 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Yeah the NTSC-U NTSC-J is unclear. I buy all my english games but I would use it for japanese games and cube games.

8. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    They don't have an NTSC Wii, so they can still only speculate on this feature. It's assumed.

I had a question about DVD media. Why exactly is DVD-R preferred over DVD+R? I understand somewhat there is a technical difference, but it didn't look like you tested any DVD+R. Is there a reason why the -R versions are recommended?

9. IBNobody

Member IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

United States
    Thank you for the review. I appreciated the compatibility list.

I have a suggestion for you two, though.

Can you put the "Marvel Ultimate Alliance" NTSC entry in a separate table or separate it from the PALs with a blank line? When I first looked at the table, I thought the chip wasn't 100% compatible. It wasn't until I noticed the NTSC header that I figured out why.

10. Magus19

Member Magus19 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Did anyone see a NTSC review somewhere? I found another review and the guy had a PAL system too.

11. Hellfenix

Member Hellfenix GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I need to know about the ntsc-j/ntsc-u compatibility also.. only reason i want chip

12. Mystic-Homer

Member Mystic-Homer GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I'd also love to know if this does make a North American Wii able to play Japanese games or not...

As soon as I know for sure, I'm importing Naruto Shippuden EX!

13. phoood

Member phoood taking it to a whole new level.

United States
    I had no idea...

So every product you review is based on the capabilities of the average product.

14. ChrisBloodShot

Newcomer ChrisBloodShot Member

United States
    I noticed in your review it said "MultiDisc/MultiGames" in the official features list. Does this mean the Wiinja supports multigame GC disks? If so, how do you select which game the Wii will boot? This wont really effect my future purchase decision. I just always wondered how a drive mod could pull this off without some sort of GUI, or at all.

I was leaning towards the cycloWii, epically after the upgrade ability announcement. The recent debate on the truthfulness of that announcement has put me back at square one in my decision making process. I would love to say I would wait on the Wiikey to finally be revealed, but I've got the itch to bust open that shiny white case and spew some molten metal all over a PCB with my soldering iron.

15. Vidikron

Newcomer Vidikron Advanced Member

United States

I'd like to know this too. Also, if DVD+R really doesn't work... will DVD+R work with the booktype set to DVD-ROM? This actually makes a big difference with some of the XBox DVD drives. I'm curious if the same is true with the Wii.

16. putamierda

Newcomer putamierda Advanced Member

Andorra
    I'm also interested in the NTSC-U NTSC-J issue, if they can play both regions, then that's a workarround the problem.
    Also, if it's so difficult to implement a region free solution, then this chip is great.
    I'll have to get a NTSC-U or NTSC-J WII and wait for the chip price to drop down, and off we go [​IMG]

17. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    Nice review. [​IMG]

In other topics I remember reading that the Wii does take DVD+R media though don't quote me on that lol.

The fact that the cheap disc came up with a DRE is nothing to do with 'The cheap brands have less protection layers on discs', but the fact that different discs use different dyes, cheaper discs generally use a low quality dye such as CMC resulting in inferior burns AND increased difficulty for the laser reading the disc. Always buy good quality media, don't cheap out! Verbatims are the bees knees. ^^

18. BlueStar

Member BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Possibly a stupid question, but is there any possibility of someone working out how to break the region protection on the games themselves so we could play other region games with a chip like this? Or would that not be possible because of the way the chip works?

19. furbyhaterex

Newcomer furbyhaterex Advanced Member

Switzerland
    AFAIK, the current method of booting games only allows 1:1 copies, so any changes to the games structure (ntsc->pal, for example) would render them unbootable...

20. amrum

Member amrum GBAtemp Regular

Portugal
    To Shaun, Costello & all the people who bought the Wiinja,

Did you try the new freeloader to see if it boots the NTSC Gamecube backups ?
    [​IMG]

If yes, then we have a hope that a freeloader for Wii games could boot the Wii backups from all the regions ?