Wiimotes. Tell me some games that justify them.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am generally of the opinion that the Wiimote was a barely serviceable control scheme, one the tech was just not there to properly handle (and likely won't be consumer affordable for some time yet). However I recently got into a discussion wherein the other person claimed it was some kind of unfairly dismissed tech and had improved games and gameplay styles as a result.

As it has now been several years since the Wii finished having games (few less since the wii hardware stopped being made, though it should be noted its successor has also been and gone) we should be past the fanboy, hype and justification of purchase/choice phase of life.

To that end I am looking for games and gameplay styles that were improved for having a wiimote over a gamepad, and if you reckon it also beats out mouse and keyboard then so much the better. If there is a learning curve after which it all clicks then that is OK too.

Good games are most certainly welcome but if a dubious game had a good example of controls I am all ears, and homebrew (be it on the wii or as a PC demo) is also in here.

From said discussion and a token search I got some sports games (pro evolution soccer being mentioned in the discussion, and an article on it mentioning it as a means to control a few extra players simultaneously compared to the standard one at a time and swap a lot), I have seen some passionate articles saying that the Wiimote versions of Metroid Prime games are worth a look in their own right, Godfather (something of a GTA clone), the Wii version of Resident Evil 4 as opposed to the GC/PS2 efforts (or even the sequels), but I will want to hear why any of those games do it better.
If I like snowboard games and the SSX features prominently in those (but not enough that I know all the courses in every game) then should I pick up a copy if I see SSX Blur somewhere?

I am also up for hearing why Skyward Sword, Red Steel 2 or something rocked your world in a big way. This is to say there are certainly styles of play that need something like a wiimote (even if it would benefit from being 10 times as precise).

As I am not seeing PC games use it, wiimotes getting given away everywhere I go looking for second hand games (despite millions also being out there I see fewer USB 360 controllers), I don't see threads everywhere asking too sensor bar help or PC replacements, demos on the wii or PC with them, articles trying to convince me of such things, find it hard to believe all the wii devs spent years making their games and all generally failed to do much then I am not expecting to be wrong in my general opinion but I can, and possibly should, still ask the question.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have been enjoying the shooting games recently: namely Ghost Squad, eco shooter, Attack of the movies, cabelas, metroid series, conduit series, etc (there are actually heaps of gun games).

Reactions: Tarmfot

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Playing point and click games on the wii was a great time. I finished Broken Sword on it and it was very enjoyable. So that is definetly a genre that benefited from it. Not sure if it is better than a mouse though at least without a mouse you won't have to have a surface the mouse works on. Think of it as a mouse that works "in air", and in that sense it is much better than even a wireless mouse, even if you lose some precision.

Following this I would much prefer playing turnbased strategy games with a wiimote on a TV rather than with a mouse. Heck using the wii u gamepad is better than the mouse. Examples like Heroes of Might and Magic, Disciples or even For the King, the latter having a good gamepad setup.

If you've ever played any COD game on Wii U online you'll have noticed that the best players use the wiimote rather than the standard controllers and analogs, not sure if it's because the wiimotes are actually better if you practice or if there is some bugged aim"assist"/bot.

And for Wii mote being better in Metroid Prime sure, though the only time I played it on Gamecube was years before I played and finished it on Wii.

Last edited by Zense,
Reactions: KiiWii

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I am generally of the opinion that the Wiimote was a barely serviceable control scheme, one the tech was just not there to properly handle (and likely won't be consumer affordable for some time yet). However I recently got into a discussion wherein the other person claimed it was some kind of unfairly dismissed tech and had improved games and gameplay styles as a result.

As it has now been several years since the Wii finished having games (few less since the wii hardware stopped being made, though it should be noted its successor has also been and gone) we should be past the fanboy, hype and justification of purchase/choice phase of life.

To that end I am looking for games and gameplay styles that were improved for having a wiimote over a gamepad, and if you reckon it also beats out mouse and keyboard then so much the better. If there is a learning curve after which it all clicks then that is OK too.

Good games are most certainly welcome but if a dubious game had a good example of controls I am all ears, and homebrew (be it on the wii or as a PC demo) is also in here.

From said discussion and a token search I got some sports games (pro evolution soccer being mentioned in the discussion, and an article on it mentioning it as a means to control a few extra players simultaneously compared to the standard one at a time and swap a lot), I have seen some passionate articles saying that the Wiimote versions of Metroid Prime games are worth a look in their own right, Godfather (something of a GTA clone), the Wii version of Resident Evil 4 as opposed to the GC/PS2 efforts (or even the sequels), but I will want to hear why any of those games do it better.
If I like snowboard games and the SSX features prominently in those (but not enough that I know all the courses in every game) then should I pick up a copy if I see SSX Blur somewhere?

I am also up for hearing why Skyward Sword, Red Steel 2 or something rocked your world in a big way. This is to say there are certainly styles of play that need something like a wiimote (even if it would benefit from being 10 times as precise).

As I am not seeing PC games use it, wiimotes getting given away everywhere I go looking for second hand games (despite millions also being out there I see fewer USB 360 controllers), I don't see threads everywhere asking too sensor bar help or PC replacements, demos on the wii or PC with them, articles trying to convince me of such things, find it hard to believe all the wii devs spent years making their games and all generally failed to do much then I am not expecting to be wrong in my general opinion but I can, and possibly should, still ask the question.
Shooters. That's basically it. Aiming with a Wiimote feels natural, as long as it's not being used as a pointer because that's just awful.
In most cases I would say the motion controls are detrimental to gameplay, as most games use them in places where they're not needed or useful or flat out make no sense. Mario Party 8 is a good example of the latter.
Can't exactly say the motion controls improved Skyward Sword either. It would be one thing if they actually worked, but more often than not you find yourself pointlessly waggling the Wiimote at an enemy and Link doing the complete opposite of what you're trying to do causing the attack to be deflected.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Tarmfot

Trophies
XP
Country
Montserrat
The only fault of wimote was not motion plus at launch. And a wireless nunchuk with more buttons.

Let's tap is really fun.
Mario and Sonic Olympic Games.
Rayman Raving Rabbids.
Zack & Wiki Quest for Barbaros'Treasure(I love this one)
Wario Ware Smooth Moves. Job Island.

FPS were more fun to play. Obviosly not as good as mouse but very fun.
Adventure Games, and Trauma Center Secon Opinion. Boom Blox.

Well. Go vacation. Sports games like Exerbeat, Wii Sport Resort, EA active 1/2, We Ski

I enjoy a lot the Wii Balance Board with PUnch Out, Wii fit plus, Rayman. R. TV Party And game for snowboarding, skiing, or skating like Skate It, Shaun White Snowboarding, etc...

I would love that steam showed compatibility with wiimote, nunchuk, balance board to play games in pc.

Last edited by Tarmfot,
Reactions: Zense and DANTENDO

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The only fault of wimote was not motion plus at launch. And a wireless nunchuk with more buttons.
This. This so much!

Okay, and that Nintendo was about the only company properly using the thing, which speedway stems from that.

The main class of great games were lightgun games. House of the dead overkill and sin & punishment 2 were blasts to play (hotd 2/3 was even fun, despite it being a poor port).

Super paper Mario was also pretty great in its uses. Granted, it wasn't something essential (why was there a'point to the screen 'part in it?) but the game was good.

Then there's the obvious sword game : red Steele 2, no more heroes and Zelda. And heck... The mini game of wii sports resort is something I'd play over plenty other games.

Next... Yes : kororinpa(I forgot the name). That game would be a boring marble madness clone if it wasn't for the wiimote.

Finally : fluidity. It was a hidden gem wiiware title in which you control a bit of water. By twisting and turning the world, you'd guide it to places where it becomes steam, ice and so on. Somewhat in the same ball camp as kororinpa, but again : it wouldn't work (as well) without the wiimote.

Edit : of course... How could I forget Wario ware smooth moves? It was just guided chaos. It was a'here... Think fast! 'moment. But it worked very well for what it wanted to do.

Last edited by Taleweaver,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I was personally a big fan of the Wii Remote and Nunchuck simply because I found them comfortable - the wire connection allowed me to rest my arms even when playing games that don't really use motion control features. As for games that utilise them well, the things that immediately come to mind are rail shooters like Resident Evil Chronicles, FPS games like Metroid or Call of Duty and the odd adventure game like No More Heroes or Skyward Sword. It's easily one of my favourite controllers, I'm glad that wand-style controllers didn't die out with the Wii and evolved into the default control scheme in VR.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Damnit... Totally forgot the racing games. Granted, it's not a genre I play often, but it certainly was fun (excite bots was awesome).
Wii Motion Controller - Just Dance.:yaywii:
It's somewhat funny that you're the first one to mention this, but this should be the main answer. After all, ubisoft released dance games on the wii waaaaay after publishing anything (specific) for the WiiU. :P

Last edited by Taleweaver, , Reason: Week? Should be waaaaay

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Donkey Kong - Jungle Beat
(NEW PLAY Control !!!!) :rofl2:

donkey-kong-jungle.jpg

UltraDolphinRevolution

Trophies
XP
Country
China
From said discussion and a token search I got some sports games (pro evolution soccer being mentioned in the discussion, and an article on it mentioning it as a means to control a few extra players simultaneously compared to the standard one at a time and swap a lot),
Trying it out is better than reading about it. In PES on Wii you can not just control a few extra players. All 10 players (not the goal keeper) can receive commands by a simple double click. Even players off-screen will abide by commands.
During attacks, you can e.g. send all 10 players into the enemy half if the time is about to run out.
During defense, clicking on an enemy player makes your player/s watch/follow him closely. Now imagine, all your attackers are being watched/followed. You can send them anywhere, thus also indirectly controlling your opponents. Why not send them off-screen? It becomes a mind-fuck if you are fast enough and turns it into 3D chess.

It's a completely different gameplay (which made progress between 2008 and 2011, but was left unchanged in 2012 and 2013, probably due to lackluster sales) and if you let a Wiimote play against CC player, the latter has no chance in hell if both know what they are doing.

Reactions: Alexander1970

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
As a Metroid fan here, Metroid Prime Trilogy is more enjoyable using a Wiimotion Plus WiiMote.
I've played the first two Metroid Prime games on the NGC and really liked them, but I'm on the process to replay them on my Wii as I've recently got my Metroid Prime Trilogy game, on its metal case and all that fancy extra things.
I've been playing Metroid Prime and I'm really enjoying it.

There's worth mentioning a rail-shooter game that first appeared on the N64 and on the Wii is really a great game too, yes I'm talking about "Sin & Punishment".

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i agree that the wiimote wasn't always used in the best way. many producers clearly tried to force control schemes that didn't make all that much sense.
but yeah, metroid prime, resident evil 4 and the lightgun games were certainly great games and more enjoyable with a wiimote. they put in the time to make the thing work really well and the mote controls came natural to these games
wii sports resort, mini game collection it may be, shows how good it can be used if you build your game around it, instead of being kind of an afterthought.

and while it probably wasnt needed, i even enjoyed some games with wiggle control, like mario galaxy and mario kart. even though its just one move, it always felt satisfying to give the mote a swing and have mario punch a goomba across the screen with it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended