WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Anyone remember this video from back in the day? This was from 2008. 3 and a half years later does the world still lack an adaptor that provides Wiimote-GC-Connectivity?
27xnwjr.png

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The gamecube controller was never designed for low power battery operation.
There was no need for it as it got it's power from the console trough the cable.

Besides that, you could connect the controller directly to the wii, so why connect it to the wiimote?

Reactions: 1 person

lismati

Speedrunner in practice
Trophies
Website
www.wiiplanet.info
XP
Country
Poland
To add the ability to control the pointer? And in my opinion, GC pad is better than Classic Controller (Pro), so connecting it to the wiimote isn't so stupid as it seems.

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The gamecube controller was never designed for low power battery operation.
There was no need for it as it got it's power from the console trough the cable.
Hm.. I never thought about that. Do you have some sort of documentation/proof that a GC controller needs more than 3V to operate?

Besides that, you could connect the controller directly to the wii, so why connect it to the wiimote
This is different. Connecting GC controller to a Wiimote allows you to play Wii games with no native GC Controller support such as Call of Duty or Monster Hunter with a Gamecube Controller. It's basically just a Classic Controller replacement.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Code:
http://www.int03.co.uk/crema/hardware/gamecube/gc-control.htm

you need 5V for the rumble motor and 3.43V for the logic. Maybe 3.3V could work as well. Not sure about the needed current.

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Code:
http://www.int03.co.uk/crema/hardware/gamecube/gc-control.htm

you need 5V for the rumble motor and 3.43V for the logic. Maybe 3.3V could work as well. Not sure about the needed current.
Do you think it will work if the adaptor increases the voltage? Like an invertor?

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Yes, that's perfectly possible. The problem is that the power dissipation will remain equal. Let's say the motor uses 0.1Amp at 5V. This means it consumes 0.5W. Producing this from a 3V battery supply with a step up convertor, would use a current of 0.5 / 3 = 0.166Amp. This is with a 100% efficiency. Note that the efficiency will be more between 80 and 90 % which means even more current drawn from the batteries.
It will dramatically reduce the autonomy of the wiimote batteries.

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hmm.. what if the adaptor doesn't supply the motor with power at all? Since a Classic Controller doesn't have a motor, supplying power to the motor of the GC controller is pointless anyway.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
that might work. I still have no idea how much current the electronics in the gc controller need.
If it's not to much, the wiimote batteries might be able to supply it.
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RE_s_X0Cac

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Why not use a WaveBird controller? It's already battery-powered and all you need to worry about is converting the radio module and embedding it in an a'la WiiMotion+ case.

Benefits? It's wireless and you don't have to worry as much about the battery circuitry - the module only takes one type of voltage rather than two.

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Why not use a WaveBird controller? It's already battery-powered and all you need to worry about is converting the radio module and embedding it in an a'la WiiMotion+ case.

Benefits? It's wireless and you don't have to worry as much about the battery circuitry - the module only takes one type of voltage rather than two.

Because I don't have a WaveBird controller. Besides, how is this even gonna work without an adaptor?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The adapter would be connected to the WiiMote, obviously. It's a two-piece set y'know. It's just battery-powered so that's one worry off a designer's back, but unfortunatelly you don't have one of those.

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The adapter would be connected to the WiiMote, obviously. It's a two-piece set y'know. It's just battery-powered so that's one worry off a designer's back, but unfortunatelly you don't have one of those.

But if you need an adapter in the first place, wouldn't it be easier to build one that works with wired Gamecube Controllers?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

But if you need an adapter in the first place, wouldn't it be easier to build one that works with wired Gamecube Controllers?
I thought I explained it already. A standard controller needs two types of voltage to work - one for the rumble and one for the logic. The WaveBird requires only the logic one as the energy for the rumble motors is drawn from batteries inside the controller itself. Wiring up the wireless adapter would be far easier than the controller.

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

I thought I explained it already. A standard controller needs two types of voltage to work - one for the rumble and one for the logic. The WaveBird requires only the logic one as the energy for the rumble motors is drawn from batteries inside the controller itself. Wiring up the wireless adapter would be far easier than the controller.

Do you say it because you know that it's more easier or do you just assume it? Plus there is no need for an adapter to supply the motor with power because a Classic Controller lacks a motor. So what's really easier, to build an adapter that supplies a wired GC Controller with power (ignoring the motor) or to build an adapter that supplies the radio unit of a WaveBird with power?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So what's really easier, to build an adapter that supplies a wired GC Controller with power (ignoring the motor) or to build an adapter that supplies the radio unit of a WaveBird with power?
In that case they'll be equally easy to build as the WaveBird adapter and the standard wired controller send the exact same output on button presses, the only difference is the way the motor is powered and, well, the fact that one is wireless.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Foxi4 speaks sense. Wavebird supplies it's own power from the battery pack. The ONLY power needed to be provided is to the receiver, which one would assume could work on a lower power input than a controller. However, I can't find any sort of documentation on the Wavebird, so I cannot say for sure if this is the case or not.

On top of the issue of power, there also needs to be some sort of micro controller in there to convert the signals from those sent by the GC controller to those expected by the Wii remote. And I would assume this will need power on top of that required for the GC controller itself.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Foxi4 speaks sense. Wavebird supplies it's own power from the battery pack. The ONLY power needed to be provided is to the receiver, which one would assume could work on a lower power input than a controller. However, I can't find any sort of documentation on the Wavebird, so I cannot say for sure if this is the case or not.

On top of the issue of power, there also needs to be some sort of micro controller in there to convert the signals from those sent by the GC controller to those expected by the Wii remote. And I would assume this will need power on top of that required for the GC controller itself.
*Unless* he practically rips the logic board out of a working Classic Controller and simply wires up the appropriate buttons to the Gamecube ones, that should work quite dandy.

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hm.. look what my friend Google send me in the mail: http://www.ps2tune.com/testkategorietest/Ps2-Zubehoer/PS2-Controller-Adapter-for-Wii-Remote.html
It's what I want, but this only works with a PS2 Controller. Does a PS2 Controller need less power than a GC Controller to function?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hm.. look what my friend Google send me in the mail: http://www.ps2tune.c...Wii-Remote.html
It's what I want, but this only works with a PS2 Controller. Does a PS2 Controller need less power than a GC Controller to function?
PS2 controller needs 3.3V for power. (7.9V by the looks of things for rumble, but CC doesn't have rumble, so that connection isn't needed). Spend some more time with "your friend Google". ;)

EDIT: Might even work as low as 3V

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyBmc3-J5AM