Hacking Wiikey's Prospective Future

Jenacis

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just had my Wiikey installed the other day - pretty thankful for that little chip.

I realize that the Wiikey - and other similar "mod" chips - allow backups to run because they trick the DVD drive into thinking the backup is legit. They don't touch the encryption of the system at all - which is why they don't support "true" homebrew. Makes sense to me.

Makes me wonder though - in the coming few months - or even next few years, as more and more games get released - is there any foreseeable reason (for now, at least) that they won't be playable as backups? Provided that some hacker with a souped up LG-drive can copy the game to his/her computer, is there any technical issue that could arise that'd prevent the Wiikey from playing a backup of the game?

Sort of a vague question, and my apologies for my own lack of understanding in terms of modding and the scene in general.

Anyone who has any idea, your responses are welcome. I'm in the dark on this one. Thanks gents (and ladies?)

togashi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It would be relatively easy for nintendo to make new games unplayable.

They could include a new software protection scheme on the game side and a new firmware on the console
which added additional checks making it impossible for us to play new backups with current chips.
Old games would still be playable as they shouldn't break compatibility.

Actual modchips aren't a definitive solution, we'll probably have to change them in some time.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
another problem is dvd9 support, wii games will use it in the future and the wiikey doesn't have this feature yet.

i don't know how much modchips for the wii will progress as the xbox360 is based on the same thing, hacked via drive mod aswell and that cannot play games from another region even after all this time, i doubt we will see a mod that truely is region free any time soon, i would eat my wii if it did happen though.

KINGOFNOOBS

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just because its based on it doesn't mean it will happen. Not to mention that if it does happen, then we would still be able to play those games, just using the same methods we use now but just using a DVD DL instead of a normal DVD.

What will not happen though is dual layer with current Wii games, or putting two wii games on one disk, or homebrew on a DVD-DL.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Just because its based on it doesn't mean it will happen. Not to mention that if it does happen, then we would still be able to play those games, just using the same methods we use now but just using a DVD DL instead of a normal DVD.

What will not happen though is dual layer with current Wii games, or putting two wii games on one disk, or homebrew on a DVD-DL.

nope we won't becasue the wiikey dosn't support dvd9, full stop.

KINGOFNOOBS

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Where does it say that the WiiKey doesn't support DVD-9? If a Wii game comes out a on a DVD-9, then the Wii itself will get an update to support it. If you install this update on a Wii that is modded with the WiiKey then you could still just burn games on DVD-9's and put them on a DVD DL.

But it doesn't matter since there won't be Wii games that use DVD-9's anyway. Sure it supports DVD-9's, but I highly doubt there will be any game that uses them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you doing @K3Nv2