Hacking WiiKey2 problems

mbabauer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought the WiiKey2 + WiiClip bundle from ModChipCentral. I read posts here that the WiiClip is not the best solution with the WiiKey2 right now, but unfortunately thats what I got for the time being.

I got it in, installed it, and everything seemed to go well. I would like to note that the chip came in a plain manila envelope with absolutely no documentation. The WiiKey site is also sparse on any documentation and lacks a forum all together. I booted to the WiiKey2 utility disk I downloaded from the WiiKey site just fine, and figured all was right with the world, at which point I turned my attention to figuring out how to actually backup my existing Wii games on my Mac (another post).

Not finding a good solution for backing up my physical media, I turned to downloading my backups through Bit Torrent. I got a couple of games down, but when I try to run them the Wii tells me the disk is invalid. So, I took the Wii back apart and tried to make sure the WiiClip was seated right, which it seemed to be, but still no booting of backups.

My first question is this: When I boot the Wii, should I get a continuous LED light on the WiiKey2? I am getting a Blue flash, followed by a Red flash, then another Blue flash. On my XBox mod, the Xecuter2, the LED stays solid all the time indicating its functioning (or not functioning).

Second, is there any tricks to burning the ISOs? I know that the actual Wii disks themselves have some error on them that will prevent conventional burn apps from reading the disks, and I noticed the ISO image files will not mount on my mac. I wasn't sure if I had to patch the ISO or something first, or use some particular app/settings to burn the ISOs. Once of my theories is that the app I am using to burn the ISO is artificially *fixing* any CRC errors, but this is making the disk unreadable in the Wii.

Third, should I de-solder the WiiKey2 from my WiiClip and just do the install the old fashioned way? I really liked the idea of doing a solderless install as it allowed me to remove the chip if I needed to, perhaps to update later or whatever.

Thanks for any help, and sorry for the lengthy post

mbabauer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On a whim I used the Mac Disk Utility to burn one of the ISOs. I was using Disco before. I got it to recognize the disk when on insert, but when I tried to actually run it I got a black screen saying something was wrong with my disk.

I am going to try another ISO to see if its possibly the file was broken, but wanted to add this latest bit of news to the thread.

mbabauer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update 2: I burned a different ISO and it worked. I guess the first one I tried was either non-compatible in some way or flat out bad.

I would still like to get some ideas as to how I can backup disks on my mac.

layzieyez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What speed are you burning?
What media are you using?
I use Taiyo Yuden @ 4x on my Mac (Pioneer DVD Burner)
If you have iMac or Macbook, then the internal burner is pretty crap. Get a Pioneer external burner.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse