Wiikey2 or Wasabi 6X

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by hydrocilator, Mar 8, 2010.

Mar 8, 2010

Wiikey2 or Wasabi 6X by hydrocilator at 9:49 PM (997 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. hydrocilator
    OP

Newcomer hydrocilator Member

Ireland
    Hi all,
    I want to mod mine and friends wii, I have no problem soldering etc.

I'm between these two chips, I want to play backup DVD games and would like to have the 6X drive speed for no lag in gaming.

I cant find out what speed the Wiikey 2 runs at, does anyone have feedback on these chips?

Does the 3X Wasabi DX give noticeable lag in gaming.

Thanks

Joe

2. toejam316

Member toejam316 GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    6x is actual Disc speed.
    3x is half speed, theoretically doubling loading times.
    If you want to see what 3x speed is like versus 6x speed, get a retail copy of Metroid Prime 3, rip and burn it.
    Play through a section on your original copy, then using a backup loading method like neogamma, load the disc and play.
    You'll notice load times are a LOT larger.

If you get a mod chip, definitely get a 6x read speed chip if possible. USB Loading is still the best method, and works with pretty much every game (Metroid Prime Trilogy being a notable exception)

3. hydrocilator
    OP

Ireland
    And I thought the actual gameplay was slower in parts when the 3X chip couldnt handle it, thanks for that.

Is the Wiikey 2 6X? Is the software support going to be stopped because we know have the Wiikey fusion?

4. terminal_illness

Member terminal_illness Dark Hadou Master

Canada
    my first mod i bought a wiikey 2 the day it came out... was easy enough to solder. i still have it installed however have long since switched to usb loading through a hard drive. if you do go modchip way, always remember to install the patchmii_core.wad because some homebrew will not load because of the mod chip for some reason. (like wii64 and genplus)

5. hydrocilator
    OP

Ireland
    Cheers, thanks