Wiikey

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by jalaneme, Jun 25, 2007.

Jun 25, 2007

Wiikey by jalaneme at 9:34 AM (1,141 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. jalaneme
    OP

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    ok i am intrested in getting a Wiikey, yes i know the modchip is lame for updates but from what i've read it's the best on the market right? few questions that are not covered in the faq (yes i read it and it didn't' answer all my questions, the info there is outdated anyway) so, i want to ask:

i use my unmodded Wii to play usa legit gamecube games, will the Wiikey allow me to play these usa gamecube games without a freeloader? i've heard that the wiikey has problems with audio fix or something that won't play the gamecube games properly, i've also heard this audio fix problem messes with legit gamecube games aswell, i would really like to stick playing all my cube games via my wii with component so it's important that i am able to play ALL of my cube games fine if i mod my Wii with this Wiikey modchip.

does anyone know if the gamecube game "tales of symphonia" backup works on a pal wii? which region shall i use? pal or ntsc? i've have read that you still need to apply various patches and programs to the gamecube iso before it works properly, is this all worth it and is the process easy?

as i understand it i cannot directly play ALL usa Wii backups on my pal Wii, is this correct? and if the Wii's internal firmware has been updated i won't have a risk of my Wii being bricked, correct? (the firmware update can be cancelled right? or does it install automatically?) is there any problems like slowdowns or incompatibility with Wii games using the Wiikey? also is there any problems playing legit Wii games if i mod my Wii with a Wiikey?

it's the Wiikey that has the switch sticking out the back of the Wii correct?

also i have read that the Wii channels can sometimes corrupt and be lost when installing a modchip is this true?

is this really a good time to mod my Wii or should i wait longer for a more stable modchip that plays all region Wii games properly? is there anything else i need to know about the Wiikey?

thanks for your time and i hope all the questions i posted can be answered [​IMG]

2. Goldcoastr

Newcomer Goldcoastr Advanced Member

Australia
    main things to know bout wiikey are

no it isnt the chip with switch out back of wii will not as most are

if you modded it more then yes

main thing i like also know bout wiikey is its simple install method for home users it is the best chip out

alsoas for your ? on getting it done now or later i suggest when ever all newer chips basicly have same functions if wish you

could install wiikey wired so if later in life want newer chip would be simple to change them over

[​IMG]

3. Goldcoastr

Newcomer Goldcoastr Advanced Member

Australia
    here are sum F.A.Q of the famous wiikey modchip

Q: Will I be able to play games from overseas?
    A: Yes, The current capability is at about 70%. This may change in the future with an update.

Q: So what are the current games that will work?
    A: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/index.php/Wii_Regi...patibility_List

Q: How hard is it to install?
    A: The solder points are VERY small. If you have a professional soldering iron, a steady hand, and some soldering experience you might be able to do it. If you are unsure it is best to just go with our installation option, and get it installed by a professional.

Q: What kind of things could I mess up if I installed it wrong?
    A: A common problem is that people solder off the solder pads! If you solder off the pads you will have to get someone to solder directly onto the IC chip. It is classified as a repair work, so it will cost more.

Q: Can nintendo dectect this modchip?
    A: Right now, no.

Q: Will they be able to in the future
    A: No one can predict the future, but we are 99% sure they will never be able to detect the wiikey because of stealth mode

Q: How does stealth mode work?
    A: No broadcast signals can come out of the modchip, even when using the configuration disc. It is very hard to prove something is there when it doesn't respond. The wiikey doesn't modify any firmware, it is just a drive chip, which also means it is very hard to detect.

Q: I heard that a modchip will 'Brick' your wii, what does that mean and if it true.
    A: Bricking means the Wii is useless, just like a brick. A modchip will not cause bricking, but it is still possible. NTSC games like Super Paper Mario can be legally imported from overseas. This game requires the latest firmware to work. If you have the latest firmware already on your PAL console, the game will dump some settings on your wii, reset, and it will then work fine. If you do not have the latest firmware, Nintendo will try and download it for you. This is the problem, because it will only download the NTSC firmware and put it on your Wii console.
    So to eliminate this risk, just perform a 'Wii System Update' before playing an international game for the first time

4. H8TR

Member H8TR GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    You didn't have to copy the FAQ. You could have directed her to it, especially when it's not your own writing.

5. jalaneme
    OP

United Kingdom
    i have no soldering skills whatsoever i will have to pay for someone to do it for me, does anyone know more about the wiininja deluxe? i have heard it's much better than the wiikey in terms of compatibility (better gamecube support), how often is that updated? and does anyone have any more info about the gamecube questions i asked?

6. H8TR

Canada
    Just get a CycloWiz, Wiinja Deluxe, Wiip v2, anything but a Wiikey. Wiip v2 seems the best if you don't want to make/program your own chip. Its 100% open source as long as the community is alive, you'll have updates.

7. jalaneme
    OP

United Kingdom
    cyclowiiz i heard that's a clone and can't be updated? wiip v2 is alos a clone aswell? and what do you mean programing your own chip? i just wanna play games, i ain't into that kind of thing...

8. H8TR

Canada
    If all you want to do is play games then a Wiikey should be fine. If you want other features then get a different chip.

9. jalaneme
    OP

United Kingdom
    ok, thanks, i will have a look at both mod chips and decide which one to choose.

10. pnut

Member pnut GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Regardless, Cyclowiz is the one where you have to add a switch. The problem is, outside of the initial upgrade, that also has not released a new upgrade to resolve some of the same issues with GC games.