quadomatic

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was looking into a free mod chip for my Wii, but it looks like a lot of them have died out except YAOSM. YAOSM looks good but it doesn't have DVD updating. WiiKey looks pretty good, and its cheap ($23 w/triwing screwdriver), and it supports DVD updating.

But, has Wiikey's site been down for a while? I went to wiikey.cn and the site doesn't appear to be there. Is it still being supported? YAOSM still appears to be supported.

Which mod chip has an easier installation for a supreme soldering n00000b? I'm not sure whether I have a DMS, D2A, or D2B. I bought my Wii one week after launch, but that one was defective, so I sent it back to Nintendo and they gave me a new one in early January.

I looked at the drivechip comparison page in the gbatemp wiki....does WiiKey really not support dual layer originals?

Which do you think is the best option and why?

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
does WiiKey really not support dual layer originals?
It does not support an original copy of Smash.

I think you should go with YAOSM on a PIC12F683, I have a Wiikey and am disappointed with it because of the above. The team has not released a fix yet and it has been weeks since Smash's release.

YAOSM will have DVD upgrade in the 3.0 version.
smile.gif

quadomatic

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Which one is easier to install?

I'm trying to figure out if I have a DMS D2A or D2B Wii. I used to know this a year ago, but I can't remember anymore.

I bought my Wii one week after launch, and then it was replaced by Nintendo in January because it was defective. I probably wouldn't be able to id the Wii by serial number, since they probably didn't change the serial number when they sent me the new one.

I'm not sure that I'll want to do this if I have a Wii with the legs cut, since then I'll have to grind down the chip on the drive :wtf:

mr deez

Trophies
XP
Country

I'm trying to figure out if I have a DMS D2A or D2B Wii. I used to know this a year ago, but I can't remember anymore.

I bought my Wii one week after launch, and then it was replaced by Nintendo in January because it was defective. I probably wouldn't be able to id the Wii by serial number, since they probably didn't change the serial number when they sent me the new one.

I'm not sure that I'll want to do this if I have a Wii with the legs cut, since then I'll have to grind down the chip on the drive :wtf:

Surely they would have sent you a new wii, with an entirely different serial number?

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country

And the YAOSM is slightly easier as it requires only the soldering of five wires and not six.

quadomatic

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
if im soldering the YAOSM chip itself to the chip on the wii drive, how would I remove it so that it can be reprogrammed? Is the chip placed in a socket which is then soldered to the wii's drive?

Can someone list all the parts I need to build the YAOSM? It looks like I just need a chip, and then parts to build the programmer.

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

They more than likely sent you a D2C.

quadomatic

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

They more than likely sent you a D2C.

Didn't D2C wiis show up a while later? My Wii was replaced by Nintendo with a new one in early January of 2007, less than 2 months after the system came out.

How difficult is it to build the programmer?

iori-kyo-k

Trophies
Website
www.jeux-france.com
XP
Country
France
I never built anything electronically speaking since I was in school, and I built my programmer in less than an hour.

Really easy if you take it step by step and do it carefully. You better take your time soldering than trying then to know from where the problem comes ^^

drexx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Couple things 80% of the people i have read about sending their stuff to nintendo to get repaird and get a new one sent back to them are getting D2B even the ones sent in december and january recieved them back got D2B.

Another thing i would say is Deffinitly get a Dip socket for the yaosm which is .69 at radio shack if your in the us and they are like .10 if you order them off the web. If you run the wires out the back of the case right above the USB ports then hook up the socket it will easily be upgradable when you can just pull the chip out of the socket you can upgrade it.

this is why i went with the yaosm and when 3.0 becomes final it will be dvd upgradable.

quadomatic

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Couple things 80% of the people i have read about sending their stuff to nintendo to get repaird and get a new one sent back to them are getting D2B even the ones sent in december and january recieved them back got D2B.

Another thing i would say is Deffinitly get a Dip socket for the yaosm which is .69 at radio shack if your in the us and they are like .10 if you order them off the web. If you run the wires out the back of the case right above the USB ports then hook up the socket it will easily be upgradable when you can just pull the chip out of the socket you can upgrade it.

this is why i went with the yaosm and when 3.0 becomes final it will be dvd upgradable.

Did you hear whether the ones that were replaced/repaired in December/January of 06/07 had the legs cut or not?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: Chuck your brain out the window, it's useless, use your head instead