wiikey vs opensource?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by CamaroShifter88, Mar 4, 2007.

Mar 4, 2007

wiikey vs opensource? by CamaroShifter88 at 4:49 PM (1,155 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. CamaroShifter88
    OP

Newcomer CamaroShifter88 Member

United States
    ok, so I've read many reviews over the wiikey and that it's pretty much, the first upgradeable, simplest chip that's being offered. I was trying to think whether to get the chiip/wiip or the wiikey in terms of which one is better off. It seems like the only "major" differences between the two are how they are upgradeable. The wiikey requires them to release an upgrade. The open source chips, on the other hand, can be done manually or with the release of someone else's firmware. It SEEMS like going the extra mile and building your own open source would be the better way to go, but doesn't seem that popular and, this is the first time I'm looking at getting modchips so, I'm thinking I'll wait this one out to see the dominant chip that will last through the Wii's lifetime.

Also, i'm horrible at programming, but if updating an open source chip only requires clicking the "Flash" button on a program running on the computer, then I guess that's not too bad. Is that how upgradeable firmware is released for open-sourced chips though? Or is it best to make your own firmware and do your own coding and all of that other junk? Thanks everyone.

2. MaHe

Member MaHe one lazy schmo

Slovenia
    Open-source is generally cheaper, but maybe not the best option. I'm super clumsy at electronics and like some professionality, so I'll go with WiiKey, but everyone should make a decision of his own.

3. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Basically that's how you'd upgrade an opensource chip. Wiikey upgrades via DVD in the Wii, so it's easier to upgrade. If you do go opensource, install the ship outside the Wii so you can get at it easily to reflash.

Unless you plan on taking the source apart and editing it yourself you will probably just be at the mercy of the creator or other programmers to come out with updates that all you'd have to do is download and "click the flash button".

Wiikey = simple and easy to use, fully featured out of the box right now, maybe some good updates later

Open/DIY = more complicated to build & install if you plan on upgrading. potentially considerably cheaper if you already own a programmer or build your own.

Personally, since I don't have a Wii yet, I'm gong to see what the DIY chips are like in a month when I get my Wii. If they have the full feature set by then, I'll build a programmer and chip and go that way to save money. If the DIY chips aren't developing very quickly by that point I'll go with a Wiikey and save myself some stress.

4. heyyouguys

Member heyyouguys GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Or, buy the wiikey now, and in a year or so, if technology improves in either market, buy another then.

5. CamaroShifter88
    OP

Newcomer CamaroShifter88 Member

United States
    hmm, ok. So basically... besides being more expensive, wiikey is "generally" the better fix? I don't mind spending $40-50 (the same price of a game) to be able to play any game for free.. I don't see how many people argue about prices when they're spending less than a game would cost for every game imaginable.. even if would cost them $5 to make the chip.

But I'll digress.. I'm thinking about waiting another week or so till I get my Wii.. and if things are pretty much the same, I'll go ahead and get the wiikey. But one last question anyways. I know that wiikey will release DVDs that will update the chip. How long would it take for them to release a dvd w/ a fix say if.. Nintendo somehow disengaged the wiikey through an update? I doubt I'll have to worry w/ the lack of internet games *atm*, but are they normally pretty quick at fixing these, and do you wait for them in the mail or can you just download/burn them on a disc immediately? Thanks again everyone.

6. jaxxster

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    Go for a wiikey, its got everything you need and you dont have to mess around building it yourself, when an update comes out if u had an opensource chip you'd have to take your wii apart and reprogram your chip.

7. lookout

Member lookout GBAtemp Board Room

United Kingdom
    Far I seen the wiikey update through GameCube mode, I not quite sure how they put code to boot gamecube then run wii game? [​IMG]

They able to update the firmware through main motherboard it might be possible update the DVD-Rom firmware where modchip located.