Hacking Wiikey V1 and HBC... Bootmii

ghostyroasty

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 4.2U Wii with a Wiikey V1 and used hackmii to get the hbc installed. Because of the ancientness of my Wiikey, should I just go with Bootmii and be able to play my backups?? Would I be able to play online with my backups? Any tips would be great!!

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Bootmii is not a backup loader; it is a pre-boot program that provides a level of security when hacking because it can be used to reverse changes or make changes to the Wii even when the Wii is bricked. That being said, everyone is advised to install Bootmii as boot2 if possible.

Softmodding to run backups is fairly simple. Once you have the Homebrew Channel installed, install a cIOS (Waninkoko's cIOS rev17 and Hermes' cIOS v4 are both good choices) and a WAD Manager, then obtain the app or wad for a backup loader. You can use a disc loader (NeoGamma, Softchip) or a USB loader (Configurable, USB Loader GX, WiiFlow).

Backups run from any of these loaders generally have the full features of the original game, same as if you used your modchip. They can play online, use the same game savefiles, etc. although some games may have compatibility issues with peripherals or SD cards.

ghostyroasty

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info... I began having problems with some of my backups that I recently made. They originals would play fine, but the backups would have various problems w/ freezing and the such. Thanks again!

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Some games may have particular issues, but if you have several freezing games it may be due to bad burns. Make sure you burn at the slowest possible speed onto decent-quality discs.

ghostyroasty

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went back and re-read your post to go ahead and do what needed to be done... So you suggest that even with the wiikey, I should put the bootmii on? And the CIOS... does this run from inside homebrew channel?

Szalkow

RawkSD Cheerleader
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The cIOS is a custom IOS (sort of like a piece of firmware). The installer runs from the Homebrew Channel. Once it's installed, it will always be there on your Wii until you uninstall it.

If you're doing any softmodding, especially with installing IOS files, you should install Bootmii.

For directions on EVERYTHING, check the Modify any Wii 4.2 & below thread at the top of this board.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)