OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Heya,

i got my wiikey installed since AGES now.
It's working fine so far.
After a view months of not touching my wii. i finally took some time to get new games
tongue.gif
. (there are plenty new ones :wtf:).
Some games had an update included (which i didnt run since i wanted to keep 3.2e)
The games ran fine with the gecko loader.

But i actually got a question about the wiikey feature "block updates"

how does it work?
after enabling it's still asking for an update when putting the disc into my wii and opening the disc channel.
Any Ideas?

Chinman

Trophies
XP
Country
you can also block updates using starfall, or playing games via geckos skips the update. the game that give you a black screen probably needs that update, some updates dont necesarily take you past 3.2e. need for speed undercover for example asks you to update in order to play the game, but the menu stays at 3.2e

i have not encountered any side effects after doing the need for speed update, all trucha, starfall hacks, and homebrew work fine, including all backups

the current updates above 3.2 only block homebrew, trucha signed games, etc but all your backups will still work, if you have no interest in those things, you should have no worry updating all the way to 3.4e, but most ppl are trying to stay on 3.2e for now

btw what game is it are you trying to play?

Rocco Savadgie

Trophies
XP
Country
In case you do not know, wiikey 1.9g/s runs at 3x speeds so you should downgrade to 1.9b (or else just take it out and use a softmod).

Recommend you downgrade the wiikey to v1.9b, install starfall to block updates and boot with gecko os to avoid the error 001 message.

Merry Christmas!

Chinman

Trophies
XP
Country
like i said, i have wiikey installed, 1.9s, am on 3.2e

did the update on nfs undercover a while ago now (mate tested it on his wii and told me that it was harmless, updates some of the ioses to allow those games to work but you remain on 3.2e), i can confirm i did the update and am still on 3.2e, everything still works (custom gh games, starfall, freeloader), but now also nfs and animal crossing work too

i have done this to my sister wii and my cousin with no consequence, but do not take any responsibility if anything abnormal happens to yours, i am only sharing my experiences. good luck

im pretty sure my drive is running at the default speed and i have never had a problem with my modchip. no one i know has bothered to softmod. a couple of people that i know that are too cheap to get their wii modded have considered it but not actually done it. chips are so cheap nowadays, isos need to be patched for softmod, and not all of them work or have bugs as far as i know, modchips are updated whenever a problem occurs and are therefore more futureproof. nintendo may even patch that softmod one day. i recommend sticking with your wiikey

Rocco Savadgie

Trophies
XP
Country
Elfish said:
so everyone's softmodding these days?
ohmy.gif

Well, the downside to softmodding is the disk read speed being locked to 3x instead of 6x. However a wiikey running with the latest frimware versions 1.9g or 1.9s is also locked to 3x so what's the point in using it over a softmod? If you downgrade the wiikey to 1.9b it runs at 6x hence the suggestions above.

Regards.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol