WiiKey users! What's your disk read speed?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by HipN, Jul 7, 2007.

Jul 7, 2007
  1. HipN
    OP

Member HipN GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I noticed that on the setup disk, you can set up the disk read speed. The options are 3x and 6x. What's the difference? What do you use, and why?

I haven't tried 3x yet, but on 6x when region free is enabled, the import games make weird reading noises.

2. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    use better media? burn at lower speeds? i've personally never used or burnt a setup disc i've just left it at the default settings.

3. laurenz

Member laurenz GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    I had weird noises in most of the games on 6x.
    Now i set my wii drive to 3x but i don't think the noise reduced. But i have the feeling it did though.

4. Sonicandtails

Member Sonicandtails GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The noise is always there. What you are hearing is the DVD drive changing speed. That "beep" and the loud humming...

It's there on 3x too, you can't get away from it, but 6x amplifies it. My solution? I keep a fan on the floor next to my Wii to cool me off and keep the noise muffled.

5. HipN
    OP

Canada
    I use Ridata DVD-R

Seems pretty good, because only Biohazard 4 (J), Multi-Boot Rom Pack, and Metal Slug Anthology (U) make the loud ass noises. MSA sometimes does, not always.

BTW, is the default speed for the drive 6x? I mean before the chip got installed. And would it be a bad idea to change it to 3x?

6. Demons153

Newcomer Demons153 Advanced Member

United States
    >_> My Disk Drive Is At 3x I cant really tell a change in Loading screen.

And I'm using Taiyo Yudens X16

It also works fine with Unbranded DVD I picked up earlier >_>.

10.99 For 50 Not bad.

Oh and I don't near a sound.

7. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    Taiyo Yudens are good, you should have no worries, using cheap media in the long run will hurt your laser and the dye on the disc will fade after a short period making the dvd useless and unreadable by any dvd reader pc or console. Ridata or the disc ID of Ritek G05 if that's what your meda are is second grade B media so it should be fine, using memorex, cmc mag or prodisc and you are asking for trouble!

8. helba

Newcomer helba Advanced Member

Canada
    2 Important things I have to clear up.
    Good media - Anything Taiyo Yuden i've come to the conclusion, that's my opinion.
    Bad media, anything below Verbatim, even some wiis have problems reading the verbatim media, unless set at 3x or slower. Due to a rumor, the wii disks them selves are supposed to be TY media, therefore the drives will support TY media natively, whereas to other medias have problems, due to almost unsupported media, but wiikey has support for this so no worries, well some support anyways for the medium class media and better.

The Read Speed if for Usage with cheaper media, generally the bad medias won't perform at their unspupported speeds, meaning if you have 4x supported memorex and try to run at 8x, it will sometimes DRE, that's why you should use Better media, because they function close to their recommend speeds and above or below it. The read speed on Wiikey is also to lower your drives' sounds, at 6x it makes a sonic v-roooom noise, when opened during modding, when closed, you can notice it if your room is quiet, whereas to 3x is slower, and is suppose to read better, for the bad media anyways. 3X is noticeably quieter, almost 2/3 quieter where as to 6x. But generally 6x Disks Read faster during loading for good media, if you are using bad media, the load times will always be slow. Also the load time varies and is never the same, it depends on the game.

If I am wrong in anything please correct me, this is from experience and reading dvd media sites like http://www.videohelp.com/ and others.

9. Smuff

Member Smuff Fossilized Gamer

United Kingdom
    verbatim ftw - always and forever... never let me down

10. jalaneme

United Kingdom
    to say anything below a verbatim media is not on, maxell i've used for years for 200+ games and dvd moves and media and i've had not one coaster from them at all, i've also used g05 aswell and they were decent media aswell, high speed or low speed they always work well.

i've always burned at 6x speed for the Wii games and i have yet to get any disc read errors, slow loading times or noisy disc loading.

11. helba

Canada
    you are correct, but the medias have their classes, and everything below Verbatim is not just verbatim and then everything else is below it, the media you said i believe is in the same level of "good" whereas to TY are "premium" , I think some Verbatim media from japan is considered premium as well, it's like gas, well not really, but u kinda get the analogy.

edit, i forgot to also talk about burners too.
    It's not always the media's fault, it's also the burner, if your media is compatiable with your burner, then you will have success with your burns most of the time.

12. HipN
    OP

Canada
    So is Ridata DVD-R 8x considered "good" media?

13. jalaneme

United Kingdom
  14. HipN
    OP

Canada
    Sony is class 1? Man, I should have picked those up (DVD+R) instead of Ridata.

15. helba

Canada
    that site is mainly correct in some cases, but others its wrong.
    It's up to your experience and what you favor works for you, when choosing media, it's trial and error, if you get a good media, stick with it, because it's unpredictable sometimes [​IMG].

16. jalaneme

United Kingdom

no, the website i showed is just the same as that website you showed, the only difference is the website you showed has much more different media types, for instance maxell is listed to have a couple more different dyes, the same for other dvd media, you cannot base one type of maxell disc and say they are all crap

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia/maxell-d...6/4028#comments

here is the results for my media type i use, you see the media i use is decent media and it's not crap in any way.