Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia

Wiikey Update.....Update

Clones not to blame?

wiikeylogo.gif

The Wiikey Team have broken the silence on the status of the much debated Wiikey update. Surprisingly the team reveals that the recent bout of clone chips is not to blame for the hold up.

Wiikey Team said:
We have received a lot of questions on the coming update lately.

The upgrade is now near completion. It has been delayed due to a few factors; the base system disc took longer than expected to complete, and there have been a few unexpected issues that are currently being worked on.

Making the update incompatible with clones is NOT one of those issues, though. We would also like to clarify that we do not intend to brick or render clones inoperable.

Hopefully this means the update will finally be released soon. Thanks to dsbomb for the news tip.

icon11.gif
Source

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
I emailed the wiikey team a few hours ago about the status of the update. Thankfully we get some sort of answer.

Although I wonder whether it will or will not be compatible with clone chips, they didn't really define that. If it is compatible with clone chips then what does that mean for loyal wiikey customers?

H8TR

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe WiiKey Team got a deal with those who manufacture the clones to give them some royalties. That way they don't care if you buy a clone. Good because I was going to buy a couple clones.

bollocks

Trophies
XP
Country
Surely what they mean is they don't give a shit about clones and they aren't going to test it on a clone, so use it at your own risk. I doubt there's anything else going on there.

jaxxster

The Heretic
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
yay wiikey team! Way to let maxconsole/divineo win!
tongue.gif

"we wont make the clones inoperable"

A.K.A

"We actually cant do fk all about the clone chips and its impossible for us to make an update that wont work with the clones"

moshii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Maybe WiiKey Team got a deal with those who manufacture the clones to give them some royalties. That way they don't care if you buy a clone. Good because I was going to buy a couple clones.

Maybe the clones don't actually exist? Maybe they're all clones ....

Personally I don't give a poo. I don't see why everyone is crying for an update so badly either.. the only thing that's missing so far is real de-regioning and those Naruto games. whop-de-doo.

I didn't realise that these low-end Atmel's were meant to be in-system reprogrammed either... probably the real reason for the delays.

H8TR

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Surely what they mean is they don't give a shit about clones and they aren't going to test it on a clone, so use it at your own risk. I doubt there's anything else going on there.
It's not that they won't test it. It's that they can't do anything about the clones. Release a new product or continue with what you have. The same people who make original probably have a room in the back to produce clones. They sell the originals to Wiikey and those are sold for $30+ and the clones they make for themselves are sold for $5 a piece for to any retailer who want to sell them. My two cents.

qusai

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Finally the update is coming.
I actually sent them an email a couple of days ago asking when the update is coming and if they gave up on their customers because of the clones.
tongue.gif

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
From what I've heard about the clones, is the chip and PCB are the same. So they cannot brick or disable it, without doing the same to the originals. If they could, the Wiikey has a recovery mode (However that works). I hape this is a proper firmware update, to prove the doubters wrong that it cannot be updated firmware wise. It might just be another configuration disc. With them taking so long with it, I bet its going to be a great update.

moshii

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I hape this is a proper firmware update, to prove the doubters wrong that it cannot be updated firmware wise.Â

The chip is an MCU.. so it's never going to be a proper firmware update i.e. a complete software replacement. The fact is they can't actually re-program much of the chips contents as the serial port on the drive just isn't designed to do that sort of thing so don't expect miracles. These things are meant to programmed and left to run for ten or so years.
tongue.gif

dsbomb

Trophies
Website
dsbomb.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I read the statement just that at worst, they'd leave the clones alone. As fun as it would be here and other forums to watch the kids bitch about how WiiKey screwed them, the company would still get bad-mouthed to no end. There are bad installers (one posted here recently) that claim to sell legit Wiikey installs but use clone chips.

There are just too many clones out in the world. It would result in too much bad press for them if they bricked those chips.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.