WiiKey Update 1.9 Not Working - Unable to Read Disc

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by isthisyournacho, May 1, 2008.

1. isthisyournacho
    OP

isthisyournacho Newbie

Newcomer
    May 1, 2008
    United States
    Hey all,

I tried to search for people having this problem through this forum and others but I can't seem to find people who are experiencing the same issue.

I modded my Wii with the Wiikey and have played burned games without issue - that is until Super Smash Brothers Brawl (SSBB) came out. I attempted to upgrade my Wii using the 1.9s, but it goes to a black screen saying it can't read the disc and it must be ejected. Sorry I don't have the exact wording as I am writing this from work.

I have tried putting the disc in with the Wii turned on and loading it as a GameCube game, and I have tried turning the Wii on with the update disc already in there. I have tried multiple DVD+R's and I also tried the 1.9b update first. In all cases, I am trying the US version.

Does anyone have any ideas? As it is I have owned SSBB for a hot minute but I have been unable to enjoy [​IMG]

2. ryuhosuke

ryuhosuke Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 25, 2006
    Canada
    check ur soldering points
    maybe a loose wire or something

3. blu9987

blu9987 GBAtemp Regular

May 24, 2007
    United States
    Well I occasionally get that message while loading games and what-not. One thing I might suggest is try a DVD-R rather than a +R. Also ensure that its a good brand.

If all else fails
    1. Check your installation, seems your Gamecube function may not be working properly?
    2. You can install a switch on to the wiikey so that you can disable it and play SSBB, then enable it after. Theres a tutorial floating around here somewhere....

4. isthisyournacho
    OP

isthisyournacho Newbie

Newcomer
    May 1, 2008
    United States
    Thanks, I will try the DVD-R and let you guys know if that worked.

5. isthisyournacho
    OP

isthisyournacho Newbie

Newcomer
    May 1, 2008
    United States
    Using a DVD-R did not work, though it doesn't give me the black screen anymore, it just tells me its unable to read the disk. I used a good brand so I don't believe it could be that.

You'd mentioned checking my GameCube functionality? I am not sure how to do that. Also I haven't checked the solder points yet as I don't have a soldering gun (twas done by my friend.)

Any other ideas?

6. Shuny

Shuny I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz

Nov 15, 2006
    France
    Somewhere in the world
    Maybe you have a Wiikey clone ?

7. squirt1000

squirt1000 Would rather have a cup of Tea!

Banned
    Jul 14, 2003
    Devon, UK
    wiikey clones work in exactly the same way as the geniune wiikeys!

8. hendu

hendu Member

Newcomer
    Mar 27, 2007
    United States
    Probably a bad burn, some burners have trouble with those small wiikey iso's. Try burning it on someone else's comp. with a different brand burner.

9. isthisyournacho
    OP

isthisyournacho Newbie

Newcomer
    May 1, 2008
    United States
    From another forum I got this link - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/597460 - I'm gonna try some things on there and I'll let everyone know how it goes.

10. manias

manias GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 7, 2007
    Netherlands
    do a search for GCOS also