moloko23

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
I'm going to get a pro to install my Wiikey. My only concern is how to get it back out.

I don't really care which way he does it as long as he'll be able to take it out whenever the god of all Wii modchips has been released.

Is it more difficult to uninstall, if say one has opted for the quick soldering solution instead of wires?

Thanks for any help,

moloko23

starduck

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I think somebody pointed out in every thread I've read on this forum that it's hard to remove a quicksolder chip, and that wires can be just... cut... or desoldered with a simple tab ith a soldering iron?

moloko23

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
I think somebody pointed out in every thread I've read on this forum that it's hard to remove a quicksolder chip, and that wires can be just... cut... or desoldered with a simple tab ith a soldering iron?

I did read it somewhere but I just wanted to be sure. I was about to let them quicksolder it in...

modmanwii

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if your using a wiikey, quicksolder is fine
smile.gif

i see no reason why id be upgrading mine... if I do, ill sell my wii to a friend and mod a new one with the new chip that comes out..

but for now, the wiikey is perfect, and i think quicksolder is 100x easier than the wire install...

but thats just me...

hanman

I'm a pretty lucky guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the general consensus is that wired installs are better and easier. the chip is a little too thick for quicksolder. modmanwii disagrees, however; though he's the only one i know of with this view.

starduck

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
I'm going to get a pro to install my Wiikey. My only concern is how to get it back out.

I don't really care which way he does it as long as he'll be able to take it out whenever the god of all Wii modchips has been released.

Is it more difficult to uninstall, if say one has opted for the quick soldering solution instead of wires?

Thanks for any help,

moloko23
He doesn't want to know which one is easier (He's not even doing it himself) nor does he want to know which one is better, or whether or not he has to care about future modchip or if the Wiikey is good enough for him.

It's not because you don't care about homebrew that he doesn't.

moloko23

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Swaziland
QUOTE said:

Thanks for any help,

moloko23
He doesn't want to know which one is easier (He's not even doing it himself) nor does he want to know which one is better, or whether or not he has to care about future modchip or if the Wiikey is good enough for him.

It's not because you don't care about homebrew that he doesn't.

Exactly I want to be able to run Wii homebrew (Wii Linux etc.)
I got a reply from the guy who is going to do it for me.

I asked him if it would be possible to install using wires instead of the quick soldering solution...

He answered: Of course we can install the Wiikey using wires, that is no problem. But we wouldn't recommend it, since there could be troubles (interferences). (the e-mails are in German and it's sort of difficult to translate...)

I'm gonna just reply now and tell him I want to install it with wires. What wires does one need?

Perplexer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The installer will know, or will have suitable wires. I personally would use 30ga for the data wires, and 26ga for PWR and GND.

I also don't recommend quicksolder; due to the spacing and chip design, the amount of solder needed to bridge the points on the board with the points on the chip would be too much to make a reliable connection. Plus, removing a quicksolder chip will be substantially more difficult than removing a wired chip.

I ended up quicksoldering the two larger PWR and GND points, and running short wires from the mainboard to the chip.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr