Hacking Wiikey slowdown?

dtjesus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just a quick question here. I've installed my wiikey last week and It's working perfectly, all the games I've tried load up and play. The thing is that on most of the games I've tried (Eledees/godfather/mario strikers) there's some slowdown. The only other game I've tried is paper mario and theres no slowdown in it. In Mario strikers the slowdown is mostly in the main menu and in the cut scenes before a match and when you score a goal. In-game is fine 99% of the time. The godfather has quite a bit of slowdown during the game and even when the home button is pressed it's quite stuttery. I used the setup disc to change the speed from 6X to 3X to see if it would help but no luck. Does this happen to anybody else or is it just the games themselves?

My wii is pal and I'm using Verbatim DVD-R burnt at 4X.

Any advice/hints/tips greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

mustnap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what is the maximum burning speed for the verbatim media? try burning using the maximum speed. but i'm not sure whether it will change anything or not..

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
what is the maximum burning speed for the verbatim media? try burning using the maximum speed. but i'm not sure whether it will change anything or not..
DO NOT DO THIS

It's common knowledge that the slower you burn the better. If you wanted to be super extra safe you'd burn at 1x or 2x speed, but the GBAtemp reviews use 4x.

No one ever reads the reviews...
dry.gif

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is not common knowledge that the slower you burn is better. At times a slower burn could work out worse than if you were to burn at 16x, which is what I burn all DVDs at.

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Eledees and Mario Strikers have some frame rate issues that I've noticed.
In Mario Strikers I experience the frame rate issues in the replay or after a match scenes.
I can't say I've had any problems with the menus though.

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DO NOT DO THIS

It's common knowledge that the slower you burn the better. If you wanted to be super extra safe you'd burn at 1x or 2x speed, but the GBAtemp reviews use 4x.

No one ever reads the reviews...Â
dry.gif
It may be common "knowledge" but it isn't true.
Burners have different write strategies built into their firmware which tell them how to burn particular media at different speeds.
The low speed strategies are often generic as the media is not made to be burned at low speeds. More effort is put into write strategies for a media at it's rated speed.
Newer burner and newer (usually means faster rated) media are designed to work at a higher burning speed and generally that is how they should be burned.
Sometimes the manufacturers get it wrong and a slower (or sometimes faster) write strategy works better on certain media. Sometimes with some firmware hacking you find that a completely different media's strategy works better. Usually though your best of leaving as is and writing at the rated speed.
Updating your drives firmware is a great idea if you want to try burning newly released media on it too.

Hey, I read the modchip review where that was said too. I respect the authors opinions on many things but it appears they have a bit to learn about optical disc recording.

opnr2000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Burn slower to solve problems. It worked for me.

If i was you i would burn at 2x and see if that fixes your problems.
The specs that manufactures releases are always Ideal conditions, we however are not always in ideal conditions, so to avoid problems burn slower. You can't really go wrong slower. IMO.

feaks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I got better results burning at 16x on verbatim DVD-R with my LG H42L than at 4x (way faster loading time in DBZBT2 for exemple). So i guess you should give this a try...

mustnap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
from my experience, i got the same result burning Verbatim +R at 16x, 12x, 8x and much slower 6x. that common knowledge that you say does not necessarily applies to everything.

and also, if you are running other programs/softwares, browsing the internet while burning, that might have some effects on the burning process.

dtjesus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the replies. As far as I can remember I burnt my first disc at the max speed (16X) and It didn't work. I might be wrong there though, I'll try it again and see if it makes any difference. I think 4x is the slowest that my drive can write at as well.

I take it by all your replies that it is a problem with the way i burn the discs and it's not a problem with my wiikey/wii ect?

georaldc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I always burn at half of what's written in the dvd. My +r verbs say 16x, so I burn at 8x. My -r verbs say 8x, so I burn at 4x. Always works for me (though there are exceptions, with crappy media).

satel

Luigi's Big Brother
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
the God Father would not load past the menu when burned at 8x & 16x on verbatim Taiyo yudens but when burned at 4x speed it worked perfect. this was the same when i used to burn PS2 games ! its a fact that slow burning is better for console laser to read.

Rocco Savadgie

Trophies
XP
Country
If you are using an IDE hard drive and IDE burner on the same IDE cable, the buffer will not keep up when burning at > 4 speeds. It should take ~4 minutes to burn at x16 speed. If it is taking longer than that, your burner is "stalling" while waiting to cache the data and this is probably the cause of the problems. Try use a SATA2 hard drive to host the iso and burn x16.

Good luck.

instigator

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The key is to experiment to find the right speed for your setup. We all seem to have varying results.

One way of finding out is to listen to your wi drive as it reads a disc. If it is noisy/violent sounding it is thrashing around struggling to read a disc.

I'd start by burning the same iso at different rates to find your most compatible speed.

seetheviz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The BEST way to figure out what burn speed to use for a particular combination of blank and burner is to buy a drive that can do proper error scans, and USE it. Burn the same (full) disc at all the speeds you're considering and compare the resulting error scans. Just remember that all scans are relative, not absolute, and don't go nuts over errors because ALL burnt discs have them. You need to minimize, not eliminate. Of course, most people are cheap and lazy and stick with a blind generalization that may or may not serve them well. If you always burn at the max or min speed, it MAY work out for you. Depends on your drive, depends on your blank. I have a Benq drive that burns Verbatim MCC004's best at 12x, not 16x or 4x. That's a case where the min and max are NOT optimal. Some drives do great with almost any blank at any speed, some really need a particular speed to burn clean. It's a huge YMMV...

aross6

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The BEST way is to simply burn all games at 2.4x in good media (DVD-R recommended... DVD+R works depending on the brand (Maxwell works good)) using CloneCD. I have never had an issue using this technique... NEVER.

mustnap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The BEST way is to simply burn all games at 2.4x in good media (DVD-R recommended... DVD+R works depending on the brand (Maxwell works good)) using CloneCD. I have never had an issue using this technique... NEVER.

jeez, seems like a lot of people claiming theirs is the BEST way to go. i would say, use a couple of blank discs from the same spindle, burn the same ISO at different speed and compare the result just like what seetheviz said. you will waste a couple of discs now (20 cents a disc now rite?) but if that helps you to find the best combination of the burning speed and the media, it will save you a lot of hassle in the future.

and aross6, i have to disagree with you on your method. i burned all of my Wii games (i should say A LOT) at 8x and everything seems to work just fine. i bought my Wii on February and to date, i encountered only 1 DRE (i've played that same game for more than 15 times and the DRE occurred only once). slower burning speed ? better

EvoTroy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me, Mortal Kombat wouldn't work when I burned it at my usual 6x, so I burned it at 16x and it works great. I remember the first few games I burned at 16x didn't work so I went down to 6x and haven't had a problem until now.

I believe every combination of burner/media could have it's own proper speeds, you just need to figure it out.

dtjesus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Plenty of good advice given, Thanks to everyone. I'll have a go experimenting with different speeds and see what I come up with.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: