WiiKey Setup Disk

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by hkpatv, Mar 16, 2007.

Mar 16, 2007

WiiKey Setup Disk by hkpatv at 12:01 AM (1,918 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. hkpatv
    OP

Newcomer hkpatv Newbie

Hong Kong
    Have bought a Wii pre-modded with WiiKey. Trying to get the WiiKey Setup disk to run, but I keep getting "Unable to read the disk" message.
    I can run backups burnt using the same settings as the setup disk, so I suspect it isn't a burner/media issue.
    Is there anything special I need to do for the setup disk to get it to run? What about if my Wii is modded using a different chip than WiiKey - would that cause this problem?

2. KakTheInfected

Newcomer KakTheInfected Member

United States
    Well, I would imagine just about any Wii modchip would at least be able to read the setup disc. It sounds like a bad burn.

3. Hogmeister

Member Hogmeister GBAtemp Regular

United States
    well i know that the setup disc is in the form of a gamecube iso, so if the wii is anything like the cube as far as being able to read certain media.. it may very well be more picky in cube mode than in wii mode. so i say try a different type of dvd see if that doesnt work out for ya.

but yeah any modchip should be able to read the setup disc, especially if like you said you're able to play backups already

4. Perplexer

Member Perplexer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Some chips (i.e. early WiiFree code) could not read GC ISOs... other chips (Cyclowiz v1) couldn't read GC ISOs unless burned on mini-DVD-R. There is a possibility you don't have a Wiikey...

5. Edster

Member Edster GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I burned the setup disc on a Maxell DVD+RW and it worked fine. I set it to region free and still can't get Wing Island to load on my NTSC unit.

If the disc fails Region check do you get an error like Wrong Region or something? I just get the disc icon spinning. Maybe a bad ISO. Dunno.

6. Renegade_R

Member Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    Some games are more picky than the others with Wii discs. I couldn't get Red Steel to burn correctly on any of my DVD-R but I was able to get it working on a cheap DVD+R

7. hkpatv
    OP

Newcomer hkpatv Newbie

Hong Kong
    Thanks all. Based on suggestions I burned it to mini-DVD instead of regular, and I can get to the setup screen OK now.
    Still a little worried that I have a different mod-chip installed - does the fact that I can see and modify the WiiKey configuration via the setup disk mean that I do have a WiiKey inside? Hesitant to open it up at the moment. Can someone confirm that GC backups on full size DVD-R should work with WiiKey? The WiiKey website is not clear on this.
    Thanks again

8. SpaceJump

Member SpaceJump Where's my new 2D-Metroid?

Germany
    I burned the Wiikey Setup Disc on a full sized DVD and it worked.

9. Sc0rpion

Newcomer Sc0rpion Newbie

United Kingdom
    Dunno where you got that gem from mate, I have a cyclowiz v1 and run all GC from full size 4.7GB Verbatim DVD+/- R,
    Without problems.

10. Critical_Impact

Member Critical_Impact GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I got a WiiKey installed and I am going back to the store tomorrow. If no games read and no the setup disk doesnt work does that mean the modchip has been installed wrong?
    I have tried GC backups I know work and I have tried burning the Wii Setup disk on DVD-R's and a DVD+RW, verbatim and Ritek G05 discs.

11. xiaNaix

Member xiaNaix GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Where did you purchase your chip(s)? Wing Island (NTSC-J) plays fine on my NTSC-U console. Sounds like you either have a bad install or a counterfeit chip. I have confirmed with the Wiikey team that there are at least two "clone" versions being sold by non-official resellers. One of them apparently does not work correctly with the configuration disc.

12. jaxxster

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    Me too, burnt all my GC games on a fullsized DVD and they work fine on a v1 cyclowiz

13. hkpatv
    OP

Newcomer hkpatv Newbie

Hong Kong
    I also notice the audio skips on some games - for example WarioWare. Is this the audio-fix issue? Looking like I haven't got WiiKey inside...

14. Perplexer

United States
    My bad; this came from a friend with Cyclowiz v1; he could only boot GC from mini-DVD-R. It's possible he was using crap full-size media.

15. Perplexer

United States
    No, audio-fix dates back to a problem with audio on Gamecube backups. All current GC and Wii chips already address this issue.

The choppiness is due to your disc read speed. Most Wii chips suffer from this problem, mostly evident in Wario Ware. Wiikey runs my Wario Ware disc at 6x, and I've not had a problem with FMV.

16. Renegade_R

Member Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    I'm gonna have to attribute this to crappy media or burning too fast.

17. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    First disc i test when i mod a wii with wiikey chip is the setup disc.

i burned it to a fullsize dvd+r and it worked everytime.
    I think if it cant boot you dont have a wiikey in your wii!

18. hkpatv
    OP

Newcomer hkpatv Newbie

Hong Kong
    I found that if I burned to DVD-R instead of DVD+R it booted GC and WiiKey setup disk no problem. I hadn't tried that because Wii backup burned to DVD+R had no problem. Still not sure if the fact that it now loads to the WiiKey setup screen means I have a genuine WiiKey inside or not. I took the machine back to the shop because of the WarioWare issue. They could reproduce with their own burned media, so are following up.

Thanks for all help and advice so far.

19. hkpatv
    OP

Newcomer hkpatv Newbie

Hong Kong
    OK just got it back from the shop. Wario works fine with no sound problems and can now boot WiiKey setup even from full size DVD-RW. I got the impression from the shop it might not have been a WiiKey inside before, but the wouldn't admit as such.
    I guess I, and others will find out for sure when we apply the coming WiiKey upgrade.