wiikey region override on- ALL discs stop loading

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ryoaska1, Jun 12, 2007.

1. ryoaska1
    OP

ryoaska1 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2007
    United States
    I have a u.s. wii with a wiikey modchip installed and it's been working fine so far to play backups. I recently tried enabling the chip's region-override feature via version 1.2 of the setup disc, saving the settings, and rebooting the wii. Once I do this, any time I load a disc- either NTSC-u or NTSC-j, the wii just tries to load the disc forever and nothing happens . It doesn't report the disc as unreadable or anything... it just shows that image of the spinning wii and gamecube disc indefinitely (except for the wiikey setup disk- that loads fine). If I turn region override back off, everything works fine again, so I really doubt that it's a media or burning problem. Is there anyone who has seen this before or has an idea of something i've done wrong earlier in the process?

I know there are some other options like patching via software which I might try as well if I can't get this solved (in that case I wouldn't need the region override feature because it effectively makes the disc NTSC-u, correct?) I appreciate any help/info you can give me, thanks!

2. Pikachu025

Pikachu025 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 3, 2006
    Australia
    Austria
    Hmm... Do originals also load forever? Gamecube backups work?

Never heard of this before, but paching the ISO should work fine.

3. ryoaska1
    OP

ryoaska1 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2007
    United States
    originals, and both ntsc-u and j backups have this behavior. Not sure about gamecube discs, although I read that the wiikey setup disk runs as a gamecube disc, so maybe not (I don't have any gc discs to check at the moment). I'll try the software based region patch tonight, but i'm just hoping there's something I missed here. I'd like to have my chip working correctly...

I might take another look at my soldering connections too, but I would think that if my connections were off, nothing would load correctly when region override is off either...

4. ryoaska1
    OP

ryoaska1 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2007
    United States
    it looks like i've solved this for now in case anyone else has this problem in the future. I switched the dvd speed to to 3x and now everything works including region override. It might have been some strange fluke... hopefully i can turn 6x back on later and keep it working.