Wiikey Recovery Disk not working

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by yo_matt2004, Apr 8, 2008.

Apr 8, 2008
  1. yo_matt2004
    OP

Newcomer yo_matt2004 Member

United States
    I disabled my wiikey a while ago using the 1.9b update and pulling the plug. Now I am trying to recover my wiikey, but it isnt working. I have tried burning the wiikey recovery 1.9b with imgburn on a Sony 16x DVD-R at 2.4x speed. are these DVDs not good enough? should I try another speed? should I wait for 3 minutes at the wii menu or in the disk channel? or is my wiikey completely broken somehow? I will try burning at other speeds and post results. If you know what my problem is or have suggestions please help.

2. yo_matt2004
    OP

United States
    sorry for the double post, but I changed my post greatly and decided to edit it instead of making a new topic.

3. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

The only solution is to try burning again. If that doesn't work, the only option is to reflash it manually with Wiikey hex by building a programmer.

4. yo_matt2004
    OP

United States
    any clue on how this is done? a tutorial perhaps?

5. dragon574444

Member dragon574444 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hey, It's my buddy Matt. Those DVDs I gave you didn't work? If worst comes to worse, and your Wii Key is broken, you could get another Wii Key and (I) we could install it again...

6. noisound

Member noisound GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    try leaving the recovery disc in for 5 mins

skim through this thread for more info on when to power down your wii before and after you use the recovery disc. it seems silly but i think powering down steps are important. you can skip the part about putting twilight princess in because the users that needed to do those steps had wiis that were spitting out discs

DVD drive keeps ejecting discs back
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=78580&hl=

7. Bob Loblaw

Member Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

United States
    Nothing will come up on the wii menu.

Leave the disc in for 5 min like noisound said. then eject and turn your wii off and back on and test.

8. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

If you're going to get another chip, I recommend a socketed YAOSM or OpenWii as opposed to another Wiikey.

9. Bob Loblaw

United States
    Definitely. Or if you want you could go with a wasabi so if you ever buy a new wii that is d2c you could swap the chip out of the old wii and put it in the new.

10. yo_matt2004
    OP

United States

funny story. I tried some of those suggestions there, and it actually gave me the ejecting disks problem. so now I have the ejecting disks problem.

I'm starting to think that the problem is the DVDs I'm using. Its the second brand of DVD-R that I've tried. I guess I'll go buy memorex and try that. I thought sony would work. waste of $25.

EDIT: also, what speed should I burn it at? I've tried 2.4x, 16x, and 8x. does speed matter? if anyone knows the correct speed please tell me

11. noisound

Member noisound GBAtemp Regular

Antarctica
    wooooooooooooops !

can you tell me all the steps you took using the wiikey 1.9b recovery disc ?

12. yo_matt2004
    OP

United States
    I pulled the plug
    repluged it back in
    inserted recovery disk
    waited 10 seconds
    reset
    waited 3 minutes
    reset
    ejected recovery disk
    inserted backup game
    unable to read disk

I think its the unplugging that gave me the problem, it only happens now and then though. but if its happening, I need to restart, and then it will sometimes work. can anybody confirm whether or not my sony DVD-Rs work with this? I dont wanna go spend another $8 on other DVDs to try it with if my DVD isnt the problem. Also, I have now tried 1x, 2.4x, 4x, 8x, and 16x burn speeds, none of which worked.

13. Bob Loblaw

United States
    the official read me that was put out when the recovery disk was first released said to wait 5 minutes at the very least.

14. yo_matt2004
    OP

United States
    I tried putting it in, taking a shower, making a sandwich, and then reseting my wii. it didn't work. I'm pretty sure either my wiikey is unrecoverable or my disks don't work for this.

15. Bob Loblaw

United States
    heh hmm..yeah i would start thinking of replacing with a new chip after that [​IMG]

16. yo_matt2004
    OP

United States
    I may have found the problem, I dont know.

[​IMG]

when I go to burn the Iso, it says CDROM for the label. I'm not sure what this means but it seems like the problem. If anyone knows how I can change this, please help. I need it fixed tonight.

17. Bob Loblaw

United States
    It actually says that for me as well.
    Maybe buy a 3pack of verbatim if they still sell them? and try one of those? if you burn alot of dvd movies you could just grab a 25 pack or whatever, but I'm thinking in terms of spending as little $ as possible on dvd's that might not be the problem to begin with.

18. yo_matt2004
    OP

United States
    it says that for you when you burn the recovery disk? or just any disk.

Also, I checked for verbatims when I was at the store, they didn't have them. I guess I'll try the memorex sometime, they sell 10 packs for $8, not too bad. they have been confirmed to work, so If those don't work, I'll give up on my wiikey.

19. Bob Loblaw

United States
    It says it for the recovery and the update and config discs for me.

20. yo_matt2004
    OP

United States
    In that case, it seems as though it is referring only to the size. the recovery disks, config disks, and update disks are small enough to fit on CDs