Wiikey Problem

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by DGSystems, Apr 18, 2007.

Apr 18, 2007

Wiikey Problem by DGSystems at 7:16 PM (1,718 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. DGSystems

DGSystems Newbie

2. Ichiban

Member Ichiban GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Mine does it now and then, but when I first got it, it worked perfectly....I think my lens is getting weaker [​IMG] Or something!

3. DGSystems

DGSystems Newbie

4. Ichiban

Member Ichiban GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Good luck, maybe I'll try differnt vebatim's too!

5. Digeman

Member Digeman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sweden
    I also get it now and again, doesn't matter if it's originals or not. Have no idea why thogh..doesn't bother me much but i'm worried it might become worse in time [​IMG]

6. DGSystems

DGSystems Newbie

7. Redsquirrel

Member Redsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    happens to one wii i modded. Very strange. Doesnt happy all the time, but it has become picky on meda/write speeds.

8. DGSystems

DGSystems Newbie

9. Redsquirrel

United Kingdom
    yes i was thinking about testing the drive speed to 3x but i have given back the wii today and have explained if it has too many issues to give back and ill have another go. Just very strange as all points are fine, its hard to understand when it works with some discs and not others, heh.

10. dohclude

Member dohclude GBAtemp Fan

United States
    You have a bad connection on your chip install. You've probably got a weak signal on one of the solder points and the heat from the Wii can change the size of the metal in the solder causing the chip to work sometimes, and not work others. I've seen it before plenty of times, just take her back apart and carefully check all of your solder points. Any of them that you are not 100% sure about, then just tap it with the soldering iron and make sure it is making a solid connection.

11. Redsquirrel

United Kingdom
    but what if on some games work and some dont? its a bit weird really.

12. DGSystems

DGSystems Newbie

13. andreq

Member andreq GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    If the soldering isn't the problem I bet it's the media...

As you wrote... your using Verbatim DVD... but I'll just let you know that some Verbatim are not from Singapour...and those are as bad as cheap DVD...

Tehoricaly, the gray hub Varbatim are from Singapore, but It's always best to look for the "Made in Singapore" or the "Made in Japan" (which are "good" TY rebranded to Verbatim)

Those with the "Made in Taiwan" are not that bad... but far from the Jap. or Singapore Verbatim quality.

good luck

14. Luinwen

Newcomer Luinwen Member

Canada
    bump

I'm having the same problems. Sometimes the games load up perfectly but other times it gives me a DRE when I'm trying to boot up it up. Originals load up every time and I don't receive any DRE during gameplay for originals or backups.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

15. cippy

Newcomer cippy Member

Australia
    I had my wiikey professionally installed via the short wire method (better then quick solder so I've heard) and occasionally when i insert a backup i receive the 'Please eject the disk and restart the console' screen. The first time it happened i noticed that the media was a bit dirty from dust and fingerprints. I cleaned it up and it booted fine. I've never received a DRE during intensive game play. I think it boils down to the type of media used, the speed its burnt at, and obviously how well the chip has been installed.

For all my backups i use CloneCD v5.2.9.1
    Pioneer DVR 111D cross flashed to 111L
    TDK DVD+R 16x burnt @ 4X

16. nilsk123

Newcomer nilsk123 Member

Netherlands
    I get them occasionaly, allways fixed by cleaning the disc

17. feaks

Newcomer feaks Member

France
    happened to me once with an original (didn't check if the dvd was dirty).

Also my wii seems to read 16x burned dvd-r better than 4x ones ( i reburned dbzbt2 in 16x, same media (verbatim) and it's way faster to load for me. Also i don't hear anymore the "click" sound that it can make when it's reading/loading). anyone else noticed that?

18. surfnet90210

Newcomer surfnet90210 Newbie

United States
    Got a Wii NTSC console, installed Wiikey (quick method), used Ritek DVD-R at 4x burn on Pioneer 111D. Every backup played fine, except when I got Paper Mario, it wanted to do an update, the Wii was NOT connected to the internet, update did not complete. I then updated successfully via the internet. Now my Wii only plays my originals, NOT my backups..
    The Wii did reset itself after the failed update. Is the Wii flash rom changed? Would a different modchip help? Or am I out of luck?

thanks..

surfnet90210