Wiikey not working?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by thebugsdontbothe, Oct 17, 2007.

Oct 17, 2007

Wiikey not working? by thebugsdontbothe at 11:01 AM (2,411 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. thebugsdontbothe
    OP

Newcomer thebugsdontbothe Advanced Member

United States
    I've soldered in my Wiikey and put everything back together, and it's as if the Wiikey isn't there. I'm using an Australian PAL Wii with serial number LAH10025957 (purchased just before Christmas last year) and firmware 3.1E (updated the day before yesterday). The Wiikey came with firmware version 1.9 installed and a hologram sticker, and is from ozmodchips (an official reseller) so I'm confident I don't have a clone.

Store-bought Wii games still work, but I don't get any response from the config or update disks. I don't have any backups or imports to test. Boot disk means it should run before the Wii's health warning, right? With either disk in it boots as it does normally, and the Disk Channel says the console doesn't recognise the disk. I've tried the packed .iso from http://psx-scene.com/forums/wiikey/59818-w...ler-needed.html as well as the iso straight from the Wiikey resources page. I've burned them on a CD-R, DVD-RW and DVD+RW. Does it have to be a write-once DVD or should rewritables work?

2. megatron_lives

Member megatron_lives GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    ok, if the configuration disc isn't working, It sounds like the chip isn't installed properly. Now this doesn't necessary mean you soldered it incorrectly; some people have wired it correctly and then apon reassembling the Wii, a solder point came lose . I suggest you take the wii apart again and check you wiikey connections. Then run the configuration disc (latest version - old versions won't work with new Wii updates) while the wii is still open and see what happens.

As far as media ie. DVD-r vs. DVD-rw - I trust only DVD-Rs and Verbatims. However, I do understand DVD-rw can work but they may not be as reliable.

Best of luck.

3. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    please post a picture of your installation...

4. rhyguy

Member rhyguy GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    i'm also having a problem, mine was shipped with 1.9 fw from ozmodchips aswell

mabye they got a bad batch

5. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    you only tested update or import discs.. those are blocked on wii 3.0 and above without using gcos.
    also the wii does not support cd-r, and dvdrw badly. so use dvd-r's

6. thebugsdontbothe
    OP

Newcomer thebugsdontbothe Advanced Member

United States
    Well, it seems that a solder point came loose while I put it back together. I fixed that and it still didn't work, so I pulled it back apart and removed the modchip. Somewhere along the way, though, I melted off one of the contacts that you need to solder. I don't have any photos, since I don't have access to a camera, but there's definitely a solder point missing.

The Wii still plays regular games fine, so it's not bricked, but have I screwed my chances of installing a modchip in it?

manias, the disc I used has GCOS installed on it. Before I pulled it apart I tried a DVD-R and that didn't help.

7. lenselijer

Netherlands
    its still possible to install it, but please dont try it yourself because if you screw that up your dvd drive will be busted.

do you use a 15watt soldering iron?

8. ShadowFlame

Newcomer ShadowFlame Newbie

Portugal
    I have a Wii with Wiikey and serial LEH103… European Pal and firmware 3.1E but the wii doesn’t boot any disc I have tried Zelda original and wiikey 1.9b update.
    The wiikey had the hologram so it as not the clone and I think the solder is alright.
    Here is a photo

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

pls help

9. aligborat69

Member aligborat69 GBAtemp Fan

I know there has been a bad batch of Clones going around, they "almost work", but then disc fails, to load, are you sure its a genuine wiikey?

10. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Try the Wiikey Config Disc 1.3.

But, seeing that an original Game doesn't work, my guess it's that the installation went wrong in some way.

If you have a multimeter (something like this) test the connections putting a probe on the pad on the Wiikey and the other probe on the pad on your Wii. Maybe it's a cold solder or a point that seems soldered but isn't really. Also pay attention to the 1 and 2 points, they often don't make contact.

11. lenselijer

Netherlands
    the ground and power dont seem properly connected, put some more solder in there.

original disc always work, even with the clones.

12. ShadowFlame

Portugal
    I have just found someone with the same problem
    “Hi,
    my wiikey problem solved now.

I have installed it again with the same result- wii not reading any discs, not even original discs (both wii and gc). I have anyway downloaded and burned wiikey setup disc 1.20, booted wii without any disc and inserted the setup disc. What a surprise when disc was recognised as Game Cube disc and I was able to start the setup utility. I have changed DVD rom speed from 6 to 3, enabled imports and saved the settings. After the reboot everything is OK now. Wii is playing original and coppied games as well.

So the chip installation was not a problem in my case, but without running setup disc the wiikey was causing DVD rom problem.”

But it was on may 10 so my wii reads the disc 1.2 but it gives a error so I m going to try 1.3

13. ShadowFlame

Portugal
    Oh no...

The 1.3 disc gives me the same error the only discs I can read are the setup 1.2 and 1.3 but they give an error what should I do now

14. ShadowFlame

Portugal
  15. lenselijer

Netherlands
    good to hear, it sounds like you bought a clone chip, these need to be setup first using the config disc because the default region for these clones is japan.

16. aligborat69

Member aligborat69 GBAtemp Fan

How do you setup the clone disc first? using the original 1.2 disk? Ive heard of similar problems, it was put down to faulty wiikey clones, but maybe it was as simple as booting with the correct boot disc first?

17. ShadowFlame

Portugal
    Maybe it’s a clone not sure but the chip came with an official hologram sticker I buy from a Spanish shop that was selling both clone and original I paid for the original but I m not so sure right now