WiiKey - Get now or wait for next gen?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by gimpymoo, Mar 27, 2007.

Mar 27, 2007
  1. gimpymoo
    OP

Newcomer gimpymoo Member

Im on the verge of ordering a Wii Key, but am wondering if I should wait for the next gen chips.

Realistically, how far can they go with the current WiiKey with firmware updates alone?

Is is possible to have full NTSC Playback on PAL consoles and vice versa with just a firmware update or is this likely to require a new chip?

Also, is it possible to say remove the WiiKey and install a next gen chip in about 6 months time?

Many Thanks.

2. Pado

Member Pado GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Sure, no problem with that. It's easier to do that if install it with wires, but removing a quicksolder isn't all that hard either if you got the right skillz and tools [​IMG].

3. Little

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    Personally I'm waiting till my warranty runs out to start installing chips. That way we'll see what happens to the early adopters. Make sure that the systems dont get bricked etc. I guess it depends how much risk you are willing to take with your system =)

4. StacMaster-S

Member StacMaster-S GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Back when the PS2 came out, I put in a modchip in the first year, and within another year it was pretty much rendered obsolete. However back then they didn't design chips with the ability to update them down the road like they do now, so I feel pretty confident in my new WiiKey.

5. Soybomb

Newcomer Soybomb Advanced Member

To me the really cool thing that we'll eventually get with modchips is the abillity to run custom software on the wii and not just override the drive checks. You're not ever going to get that with the wiikey. There will eventually be mod chips out that do far more. Do you want to use the wiikey's features until then or will you feel like it was a waste?