Gaming WiiKey FW update after SMG update?

willwest

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been scouring forums for some answers for hours and have found nothing. Im sure this is covered somewhere, but I cant find it. So please, no flaming.

I installed a WiiKey (its legit, not a clone), booted up a GameCube original to test, and it works fine. I tested again with a launch Wii game (Elebits), and it works fine as well. But when I tryed SMG and RE:UC (all original copies -- not backups, neither would be read. They show everything when I put it in, the appear in the disc channel, but they wont boot, the drive starts spinning and then stops and it says an error. I figured it was because I had not upgraded the WiiKey to the 1.9g firmware yet. So I tried that. I booted up the update disc in GCOS, and it said that the update went successfully after following all the prompts. So I rebooted and I tried both games again, and they still wont work (same error messages saying that there are errors reading the discs) but the other games I originally tested still play. I also tried booting the WiiKey config disc (multiple versions on different media) to see that the FW update went fine, but I get a static black screen error saying to eject disc and reboot console every time, though the disc keeps spinning (I left it for a few minutes and it kept going...). I looked at my installation, I am 99% sure thats not the problem and that nothing is wrong with it. Could it be the fact that I installed the modchip after having my console fully updated by the SMG disc? I have already applied the update, from an original NTSC-U disc back at launch and before I had applied any mods. Could this be the problem? And if so, how do I resolve it?

I searched for a long time for threads regarding updating the wiikey AFTER doing a full SMG update. I know they are there, but I could not find them.
Any help is appreciated!

DecoyOcto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try the 1.9g update again and make sure that you actually update, because the first time you "update" it's actually a test or w/e.. it's not actually flashing the firmware or whatever it does, it's testing first to make sure it can successfully update without a problem. if you stick around after it says the update was successful it should show you a button to press to update again. the second time it's actually updating. so remember, first time it's testing, second time it's doing.

aligborat69

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey. After you did the 1.9G update you need to use the 1.3 Setup disc again to set Region Override to ON.

It gets reset when you do the firmware update.

Ive dont updates/setup discs on over 20 wiis, never had a problem. All run everything fine.

Your games you are trying to play may have a region it doesnt understand until you switch on region override with WiiKey 1.3 setup disc.

Also, dont boot the wii with a disc in the drive, let it boot up fully to the menu, then insert the game.

willwest

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I try to boot to the config disc (I have tried 1.3 and 1.2) i get a black screen saying that it cannot be read and that I need to eject it and restart the console, but the disc continues to spin...

aligborat69

Trophies
XP
Country
Download an iso called GCOS.

Its a Gamecube boot disc, but works. Burn that, run it, until you get the the screen asking to "Boot DVD", then swap discs with the WiiKey 1.3 disc. Then run that.

You need a Gamecube pad.

Ive had to do this on a couple of Wiis, but works.

There is however (dont know a link) a hacked 1.3 Wiikey disc which has gcos and boots on its own, avoiding the black screen.

If anyone has a link to that, i would appreciate that too.

Thanks

willwest

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
theres a link to the "hacked" 1.3 disc in this thread. But it should read my 1.3 disc because I used filechop on it. It should boot in GCOS. It would read neither the regular image or the filechopped one.

willwest

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got the config disc to work, but it wont save the settings. It says it saves them, but if I go back into the config after rebooting, all the settings are reset. Im starting to think its a fucked chip.

aligborat69

Trophies
XP
Country
The disc doesnt read the settings from the chip, only writes the settings you save, next time you run the disc, it will show the "original" settings, but in fact, the wiikey is set using the settings you saved last time.

willwest

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any way to tell that my FW update went through properly? It is displaying the splash screen for every game but having trouble reading them all, whether theyare originals or backups. The only ones I have gotten to work are Elebits and SSB Melee...

Alerek

Trophies
Website
alerek.cjb.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if this will help at all, but...

When I got my genuine WiiKey, I installed it post SMG update. I ran the 1.9g update, let it go through both of its bars (It does a test install before actually flashing from what I understand), and attempted to boot config disc 1.3

1.3 asked me for some weird disc, I couldnt figure out why, so I tried the 1.2 disc, didnt do anything for me.

So I ran the 1.3 disc and when it asked for another disc, I popped in config disc 1.2, and that gave me my menu to toggle speeds and region unlocking, etc. My WiiKey has performed phenomonally since.

Hope this helps.

willwest

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was running GCOS discs, I reburnt the setup and it worked, but I was still getting DREs. I took the chip out and nothing is bridged, and I am still getting dres...

klyick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You say you took the chip out, does everything run normally with the chip out? As in the elebits and other launch game that you tried that were originals.

If so, it is possible that your install or wiikey is borked. Post some nice hi-res pics of your install so we can take a look.

mekaone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wiiwest.
Try this link:
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/597460
I had some of the same problems but then came across this page and some very friendly help form
forum membersand got my Wii to work.
There is a hacked disc iso that was file chopped and there is also a HEX version that may get the config disc
to work. Once I got mine to work and turned the region on everything worked and there was no need to
use the hacked disc anymore but I hold on to it as a just in case for the future or if my friends need it.
Also I think on that link I have listed they state that sometimes it may be a good idea to use the recover disc to bring you back to the original settings and start the update process all over again.
Have a look and give it a try.
Hope that helps.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over