Soybomb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
http://www.wiikey.cn/images/clones2.jpg
clones2.jpg

I got the top left version from eurasia.

weet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I now have strong reason to expect a cloned WiiKey is shipping to me. It appears to be the upper-right clone, with larger print C1, C2, C3, ordered from dealextreme.com. Boo.

But has anyone actually tried to install and use this clone? Does it work more or less identical to the real WiiKey? Let's ignore its compatibility with theoretical future updates for now. Does it run backups in the ways you would expect the real one to?

I would not recomment anyone intentially buy a clone, but they exist, so this is valuable information for the community.

weet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Replying to my own question, since dealextreme just updated their product page with this explanation:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1999

QUOTE said:
Chip Validity Update:
Our supplier guaranteed us that this is an original WiiKey chip and is updateable via normal WiiKey.cn sources (CD, DVD, etc). After actually testing them on Wii Consoles, we can confirmed that these WiiKey chips do support all official features PLUS they do support DVD software updates. We have also tested a good number of them (as our supplier offers modding services) to make sure their quality is consistent and safe for use. Having that said, the PCB board does look like the cloned ones, as some fellows have posted in the product forum.
The bottomline is that the PCB board appears to be clones (again, based on user submitted pictures in the forums) but the chips themselves work and provides true WiiKey functions. You can test them to confirm this.
After trying different supply sources we found that all supply sources here provide the same versions.

So this means that it is reasonable to expect that, yes, this particular clone will work more or less just like the real one.

I'd rather have a legimiate chip, but I will probalby just install this clone wired and see how long it serves my needs.

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If i may comment...
Those are some really good clones IMO
wtf.gif

EDIT:
curious like weet, do they work like the original... If they do... then i wouldnt mind having one
rolleyes.gif
if i pay less for it of course

DRACO

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lol human nature- goo for da cheap one-- i might buy one from kai but i dunno a higher price is for higher quality

wii_ownz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
don't buy a clone, those people behind wiikey work hard to put this chip together. when a clone is bought, they're not being rewarded for their work, and this can ultimately lead to the demise of any modchip team.

like come on, it's not a whole lot cheaper, we shouldn't treat the wiikey staff that way.

airrich

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't buy a clone, those people behind wiikey work hard to put this chip together. when a clone is bought, they're not being rewarded for their work, and this can ultimately lead to the demise of any modchip team.

like come on, it's not a whole lot cheaper, we shouldn't treat the wiikey staff that way.

i don't think anyone actually wants to buy a clone

wovva

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I didn't want a clone and purchased thinking it was an original.

That said - I don't understand how - if this actually a CLONE - how it will work any diferently to the normal chip. If the chip has been nicked and put on this chip, then surely it will work in exactly the same way.

I have no idea if that is the case, just wondering.

I'm not installing it until I am certain it will be ok.

panther_512

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
I didn't want a clone and purchased thinking it was an original.

That said - I don't understand how - if this actually a CLONE - how it will work any diferently to the normal chip. If the chip has been nicked and put on this chip, then surely it will work in exactly the same way.

I have no idea if that is the case, just wondering.

I'm not installing it until I am certain it will be ok.

Because the PCB and the chip are identical, that doesn't mean that the code inside the clone Wiikey is the same. Also, since there is no dump of the authentic Wiikey code released, it's easy to assume that the clone Wiikeys have inside other code.

Most propably the opensource Chiip, Wiip, openwii code...

plexo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
load of bollox m8, thats like saying wiinja clones are actually an opensource chip, people dont just release to public, youd be surprised how many weeks people were messing with them chips and never let on some of em probably saying on forums, cant wait for this wen it comes out!

about the wiikey clones not able to update, they claim this but can they actually prove this? i mean, wiikey was made in china, china does everything fake, im sure someone in a factory who is making wiikeys has just nicked the code, or someone has unprotected the chip and read the code

exact same chip, resistors, pads, chip to pad layout, why wouldnt it update???

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wouldnt mind a clone, + $5 refunded to my paypal, wondering why they only refunded 5 dollars thinking my order was canceled

anyhow $27 is a really nice deal if it updates, as for the life of the chip i think it would last awhile seeing how chips alone work well for open source mods, personally think these type of drive hacks are only worth $10 due to the open source functioning well as the commercial ones. Open Source ftw
bow.gif

mustnap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey takrin where do they give you 5.00 off for clones? dx or kai?

I believe he is talking about DX

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1999

QUOTEWe are sending all WiiKey customers a $5 discount
First of all, to thank you for the patience while we were working this out. We are now sending everyone who bought this chip prior to March 20, 2007 an automatic refund of $5.00 as a discount. You will see a confirmation from PayPal by the March 22, 2007 evening. If for any reasons you do not see this discount refund, e-mail us at [email protected].

DRACO

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cool thanks mustnap--i checked my email to see if kai emailed me again and he said that they used to use the same distributer as dx for wiikey but now they use an official dealer i dunno sounds fishy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @The Real Jdbye, I know what it is. :creep: