Hacking wiikey + dvd+r + clicking = bad?

cineman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wiikey installed no problem and using Verbatim DVD+Rs (Taiyo Y) @ 4x - no DREs at all (burnt with LiteOn multi, dumped with LG).
However, when I put my backup disc in, I hear a clicking sound (maybe 2x) when the disc is being read. After the disc loads, I don't get it again.
I'm happy with everything else but wondered if this is damaging my Wii drive at all?

I suppose I could backup on DVD-R if this helps but I usually only buy DVD+R and I have plenty surplus.

Anyone can reassure me?

Thx.

mustnap

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
clicking sound? not sure if mine makes that sound or not. but i've been using Verbatim's DVD+R (and also a few DVD-R) disc all along.. no problem whatsoever. (memorex dvd+r is working just fine too..)

cineman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sound is not loud but audible if you are next to the Wii.
Hmmm, maybe I am being a bit OCD about it
wink.gif

I have some Samsung Pleomax DVD+R - I may try these to see if it helps.

slappynutz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sound is not loud but audible if you are next to the Wii.
Hmmm, maybe I am being a bit OCD about it
wink.gif

I have some Samsung Pleomax DVD+R - I may try these to see if it helps.

We share the same OCD. I've noticed the exact same thing with my Wiikey-modded Wii. I have a stack of TDK DVD+Rs from Costco and all of them make the adjustment "clicks" during disc detection. I've burned the same backup to a DVD-R and a DVD+R and not only does the DVD-R sound exactly the same during detection as an Original disc, it actually seems quieter during game operation.

The DVD+R games seem to constantly be adjusting during in-game loads. They work fine, and I've yet to have a DRE during play with any disc, but for the sake of my own OCD sanity I've switched over to DVD-R discs entirely. TDK seems to work ok, HP Lightscribe DVD-Rs are great, and I'm going to go and pick up a pack of Verbatim DVD-R Lightscribe discs this week if only because Verbatims are so highly regarded (and because Taiyo Yuden doesn't make Lightscribes ... I like pretty pictures on my discs).

I'm not an expert by any stretch, but the click on DVD+R discs (even when burned bitset to DVD-ROM) is enough to make me worry about the long-term health of the drive. Going exclusively with DVD-R discs to stay on the safe side.

Louse76

Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
I hear the clicking almost constantly when trying with ones that I know are going to fail (I've had DRE issues with certain disks on certain drives). However, when I have a good disc with a good burn, there is only a little bit of clicking when it is first inserted.

I wouldn't worry. I don't think that it will damage the drive at all.

However, can anyone explain what actual contact is causing the clicking?

cineman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, maybe I am being over cautious. BUT.. I am going to try with some DVD-R (will need to buy them) just to see if improves.
I would also like to know what is causing the clicking noise, so if anyone knows.....
Thanks for your replies guys.

Takrin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
beleive the clicking sound is the laser lens adjusting trying to read the disk, no clue if this does damage or not but mine does it also and i'm using openwii with Ritek G05

either that or its trying to communicate with you in that language with clicks

StacMaster-S

Trophies
Website
www.halolz.com
XP
Country
United States
I read up on this subject on another forum, and it turns out with the Wiikey it may actually be better to burn at higher speeds than lower speeds.

All I know is, for me personally the games I burned at 4x or less would create clicking sounds when loading, and the ones I burned at 6x-8x didn't. As far as playability, neither gave me DRE's, so at this point I'm doing higher speeds to avoid that awful noise.

One interesting thing I did notice in regards to speed burning... when I burned a backup copy of Battle Stadium D.O.N. (for Gamecube) at 4x, the game was having trouble loading the data fast enough for the game, but when I did another copy at 8x, I had no loading issues at all.

Of course there are several reasons why this could happen... may have to do with the exact type of media you are using. For example I was burning on 8x-16x DVD-R's, and from what I've heard writable media works best when it is burned at it's target max speed.

Just thought I'd share that. >_>

cineman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, I'm using 16x rated Verbatim burnt at 4x - this may be an issue so I'll try a faster burn on DVD+R until I buy some DVD-R to test.

As regard the laser adjusting issue making the noise, that seems plausible.
I remember an old set-top DVD player I had which I threw every kind of media at (which it read for a while) until it decided it could take no more and wouldn't read sh1t. Assumed the laser had worn out.

Don't want to send the Wii down the same road so I'm sticking to one type of media/dye so the laser never needs to adjust much (if at all).
This theory may be noobish but makes me feel better but please tell me if this is maxing out the "noob paranoia" scale
wink.gif

slappynutz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pardon my ignorance, but is this click sound the same sound when you put in an original Wii game and load it? (whirl, click)

That's the normal sound, and it's the same sound the Wii makes with DVD-R discs. However with DVD+R discs, at least in my experience, there's a noticably louder "click" or two before the drive spins the disc up to speed. In addition, I hear further seeking and adjustments during load sequences on DVD+R discs that I can't hear on Originals or DVD-R backups of the same game. Sticking with DVD-Rs.

cineman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yup, click is louder with DVD+R than my originals.
Not burning anymore on DVD+R until I get some DVD-R.....

kai445

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I severely doubt that +Rs will make the drive click more than -Rs ... if you doubt that to be true, set booktype to DVD-ROM, which will set it to the same as an original disc.

kristijan08

Trophies
XP
Country
i get those clicks and sometimes you can really hear the drive reading, im using +Rs with a DVD-ROM booktype, i'll put my next backup on -R and see what happens... the clicking itself doesnt bother me, but if the drive is straining to read +Rs, i'd rather just go with -R

kristijan08

Trophies
XP
Country
it definately sounds a lot quieter reading dvd-r's, that being the case i shall now just stick to using them, i doubt +rs are damaging the drive but better to be safe then sorry

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."