WiiKey clones?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by squeakypants, Jul 4, 2007.

Jul 4, 2007

WiiKey clones? by squeakypants at 12:43 AM (1,378 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. squeakypants
    OP

Newcomer squeakypants Member

United States
    It seems WiiKeys go for about $35-$40, while the clones and thet WiiKit go for about $10. I wanted to know if there's any problem with the clones; any reason to get the real WiiKey besides just to support them. The WiiKit also has the wires built in; is this a problem in any way, or does it not make a difference (besides that now you don't need to get wires)?

2. Tanas

Member Tanas GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    I think that the only difference between a clone and an original is the price.

3. INTERNETS

Member INTERNETS GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Production quality as well. A WiiKey clone from Divineo fried my first Wii.

4. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    I've installed 1 clone from dealextreme and it worked fine.

but since they're out of stock now i stick to using the original wiikey with hologram sticker and gold solder pads.
    It's also easier to quicksolder, the points are better located on the wiikey itself so its a perfect fit on the wii dvd drive solder points.

5. squeakypants
    OP

Newcomer squeakypants Member

United States
    Yea but the WiiKey is 4x as much as a WiiKit. INTERNETS, which did you use? I want to make sure that the WiiKit works flawlessly.

6. bobshock

Newcomer bobshock Newbie

United States
    my wii workes perfectly fine with wiikeyclone. i bought a modded wii-console at "konsolenchips.de" and they gave me 2 years guarantee. no problems at all.

7. INTERNETS

Member INTERNETS GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I've never heard of WiiKit. But, I used a noted WiiKey clone with its serial code sanded off. A post-death biopsy found that one of the soldering points had been bridged with an on-board resistor.

So, really, the cause of death was some shoddy machine soldering.

8. gotrice864

Newcomer gotrice864 Member

United States
    I just bought a 11 dollar wiikey, it came with the holographic sticker =D

9. bootmonster

Member bootmonster GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    used severl wiikey and also a few clones, all worked in exactly the same way, the clones looked a tiny bit shabbier but they worked fine. and i got them for $4 each

10. wii_ownz

Newcomer wii_ownz Member

Canada
    I think the wiikey teams should be supported, face the fact, they brought us the xenogc and a close to perfect chip.

there may be one problem though, if that is if the wiikey team releases an update in the future, it will not update on clone chips.

for people that are finding the legit wiikeys a bit pricey, look to foundmy, they have a sale going on, all legit and for a great price.

I personally haven't used a clone chip but heard from lots that it works just like the original.

11. aligborat69

Member aligborat69 GBAtemp Fan

Im not a supporter of things cloned, i have an original wiikey in my machine and fit a few in friends machines which were originals too.

I received a free wiikey clone, which looked pretty well made, only a couple of very minor differences.

I thought i would install it in my spare wii just to try, assuming that it wouldnt work as well and neither would the Wiikey 1.2 setup disc work.

Everything Worked fine, Played a few hours non stop of re4, mario strikers multiplayer then some wii sports (used a DVD+R copy) with a bunch of friends and all worked fine, no issues.

Its a shame someone managed to copy the original so soon after release, hopefully 9/10 people go for the wiikey original in appreciation and peace of mind.

Considering the fact that the wiikey original is the price of just one single original game, if i didnt get the wiikey clone free, i would never have considered it as an option, id rather have an original i knew you could trust, but this goes to show, the clone works just as well.