WiiKey 2 or D2Pro

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Rheotron, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Rheotron
    OP

Rheotron Member

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2009
    Hey,

Ok, this is my situation. My Wii is Banner Bricked so I'm buying a modchip to help get me out of it.

I'm following this guide. They say here that they got a DriveKey. Now, I was looking at getting a DriveKey for some time but I read about the 3x drive speed and the Gamecube Streaming Audio problem. People have said this is a great chip, but now I'm looking at getting either a WiiKey 2 or a D2Pro on solderless clips.

Which one do you think I should get? I've heard that the D2Pro would not be able to Autoboot a disc to get me out of my bricking problem. Also, will a solderless clip work on my Wii? It's a PAL with the serial number LAH103779667.

Thanks.

2. olliepop2000

olliepop2000 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 4, 2009
    North West UK
    According to drive chip database you should be ok with solderless wiiclip. Yes you would need the Wiikey2 to autoboot.

3. Rheotron
    OP

Rheotron Member

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2009
    Ok thanks.

Just a few more questions.

Are these chips detectable by Nintendo?

Also, can you block updates with the Wiikey? I don't really want to risk bricking my Wii again.

4. olliepop2000

olliepop2000 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 4, 2009
    North West UK
    Not detectable.
    You can download the update/config dvd to block updates. I think it comes enabled as default anyway.
    Edit: You may be better off disabling the chip update blocker and use a system menu based patcher such as Starfall/Starpatch/Preloader.

5. Rheotron
    OP

Rheotron Member

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2009
    What do Starfall/Starpatch/Preloader do? What advantage would they have over the update blocker.

6. olliepop2000

olliepop2000 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 4, 2009
    North West UK
    They patch the system menu directly. If you decide to use USB loaders the Wiikey update blocker will be useless anyway. Also to unbrick the Wii I think you will have to disable the chip update blocker.

7. ddp127

ddp127 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 14, 2009
    Netherlands
    modchips ARE detectable, but it has no use for ninty to destroy your wii, or ban you from the shop channel...

8. olliepop2000

olliepop2000 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 4, 2009
    North West UK
    AFAIK drive chips just patch the data to trick the Wii into thinking it is a legit game. Do you have any anecdotal evidence of them DVD drive chips being detectable.