Hacking Wiikey 1.9s (or 1.99b) compatible with 4.XX firmware?

diuqil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Greetings,

I've not kept up with the Wii scene for around 2 years, so trying to catch up and find what I'm looking for has been very flustering. Hopefully a veteran here can shed some knowledge on my issue.

Today I plan to turn on my Wii after 2 years of being packed away. Reason? I'm going to buy a copy of Golden Eye.

With that said, my Wiikey was still 1.9s when I left it, and the wii firmware was probably still in the 3's region (or 4.0 at best).

If I were to buy Golden Eye and play it, will it update my Wii to the latest firmware? Will my Wiikey be compatible with the latest Wii firmware? Or will I have to update it to 1.99B? If I update my firmware will my old back-ups still function? (and will this potentially brick my system?) [I have a NTSC system and all my backups are NTSC].

Thanks for all your help,

J

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
diuqil said:
Greetings,

I've not kept up with the Wii scene for around 2 years, so trying to catch up and find what I'm looking for has been very flustering. Hopefully a veteran here can shed some knowledge on my issue.

Today I plan to turn on my Wii after 2 years of being packed away. Reason? I'm going to buy a copy of Golden Eye.

With that said, my Wiikey was still 1.9s when I left it, and the wii firmware was probably still in the 3's region (or 4.0 at best).

If I were to buy Golden Eye and play it, will it update my Wii to the latest firmware? Will my Wiikey be compatible with the latest Wii firmware? Or will I have to update it to 1.99B? If I update my firmware will my old back-ups still function? (and will this potentially brick my system?) [I have a NTSC system and all my backups are NTSC].

J
The "Firmware" doesn't have any influences on a ModChip, besides loosing the ability to play games from other Regions (Region-Free), which can still be enabled by GeckoOS or StartPatch/Priiloader after the Update. So yes, GoldenEye will Update your Wii (if you didn't enable block Disc-Updates), but the WiiKey will still work fine, even on 1.9s, if all your games are from your Region, like you say.

Though, I would still update your ModChip to 1.99B, it fixes some serious bugs, and you should also know that 4.3 makes hacking much harder (but not impossible).

diuqil

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Blue-K said:
diuqil said:
Greetings,

J
The "Firmware" doesn't have any influences on a ModChip, besides loosing the ability to play games from other Regions (Region-Free), which can still be enabled by GeckoOS or StartPatch/Priiloader after the Update. So yes, GoldenEye will Update your Wii (if you didn't enable block Disc-Updates), but the WiiKey will still work fine, even on 1.9s, if all your games are from your Region, like you say.

Though, I would still update your ModChip to 1.99B, it fixes some serious bugs, and you should also know that 4.3 makes hacking much harder (but not impossible).

Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking/hoping for.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol