Hacking Wiikey 1.9b update error

onmyown

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've got an authentic Wiikey installed, but have had problems updating the Wiikey to 1.9b. I always get an error message (ERROR: test failed! check your connections and try again) once the initial test completes at 100%.
Tried different media and combinations (DVD+R, DVD-R, padded image, unpadded), but I keep getting the same error.

I know this has been asked on a couple of topics here already, and I'm sorry for posting about it again, but it's because I looked through those threads and found no conclusive solution so far.

The two suggestions I've seen are:
1) Eject the disc before the test and actual updating
2) Check connection of solder point 3

I tried the first solution, and the test and updating does seem to proceed without error if you eject the disc before each process, but it seems like nothing is actually updated, cause audio fix still doesn't work and nothing really has changed, so this solution isn't really valid.

As for the second solution, can anyone who has had the same problem confirm if it does indeed work?
Cause I had my Wii modded by some shop which has closed already (since I'm not very confident about my soldering), and I don't wanna try opening it and messing it up if it's not even confirmed that point 3 is the problem.

If someone did have this problem and fixed it by re-soldering point 3 or whatever, then I'll probably give it a shot, otherwise I'm not gonna risk it.

Thanks!

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
2) is useless because the wiikey wont even work without that point being soldered.

you have a clone wiikey, if you want the update you should get it replaced by a real wiikey.

onmyown

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the reply, but I'm pretty sure I have an authentic one as I had insisted on it at the store where I got it modded (they offered both authentic and clone Wiikeys), and I do remember checking it for the hologram on it.

Also, I have heard that clones were also updated fine with 1.9b, so maybe the problem lies elsewhere?

Thanks again though.

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
I have a clone, it even has the atmega8 chip not the normal atmega8L chip, and it updated just fine, from a re-writable too.

I heard point 5 was the one to watch out for if you have this error. But try using a different burning tool first just in case, I used Alcohol120%, but Imgburn is good too...usually try to avoid Nero and burn at a slower speed.. x4 is normally good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ Aglae Pheryl: Is anyone familiar with former forum opg.life ? I missed the transition to the new forum over...