Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wiigionfree OSX

Wiigionfree%20OSX.png

Wow, who'd have known. We're already at 0.3, and is hasn't been much more than a week since the initial release. Version 0.3 is a big step for this application, since Wiigionfree OSX is now the most feature-filled region patcher available. Not only can Mac users now use a completely native application for their ISO patching, but they can use the best one around!

What's new in 0.3:
  • Preference panel
  • Automatic updates
  • Drag and Drop-support
  • A shiny new icon!
What's new in 0.2:
  • Brickblocking functionality (remove updates from ISOs to avoid applying incompatible updates)
  • User Interface refinements
What's new in 0.1:
  • First public release!
  • Patches to and from all regions - NTSC-J, NTSC-U, and PAL
  • Completely Mac OS X native
Planned features:
  • Localization
  • Help documentation
  • Batch processing
  • Code optimization, such as better error handling and multithreading
System Requirements:
Compatible with both Intel and PowerPC (PPC)
Requires Mac OS X 10.4 or higher

I'd like to thank the following people:
Jonathan Scott - for making the original Java version of Wiigionfree
Kevin Vinck at hotcocoa.lastedit.com - for teaching me almost everything I know about Cocoa, and for helping me iron out a few bugs
cazlo at macrumours.com - for helping out with using NSData

screencap.jpg

Official Site
Download v0.3

Flagcarrier

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bumping to say that version 0.2 is finished - now featuring 150% more Brickblocking functionality and half the amount unimplemented UI features = P

rhyguy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think you should work on the interface.
the progress bar should be more like the normal ones, and make the program more like a 4:3 rectangle

Flagcarrier

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I get even more motivated to make this as good as possible for every comment I get = P

DaRk_ViVi said:
I think that an auto-update feature would be very nice too.
Yeah, that one is certainly coming soon. It was supposed to be implemented in 0.2, but the files needed to make it work were screwing around with me, and I was just too tired to make it work at the time. So, in other words, you can be sure to expect it in 0.3.

rhyguyI think you should work on the interface.
the progress bar should be more like the normal ones, and make the program more like a 4:3 rectangle
First of all, thanks for the constructive feedback = )
The progress bar, though mostly decoration, is actually able to accurately pinpoint the process of the patching. So in a way, it's useful to have it divided into segments, as it's easy for me to see what went wrong if it were to stop. For the interested, here's how it is organized:

Segment 1: Patching Initiated
Segment 2: All variables initialized and region codes loaded
Segment 3: Wiigionfree has found the first patching position
Segment 4: Wiigionfree has patched the first region code
Segment 5: Wiigionfree has found the second patching position
Segment 6: Wiigionfree has patched the second region code
Segment 7: (if "Remove Updates" is selected) Wiigionfree has found the position to overwrite the update information
Segment 8: (if "Remove Updates" is selected) Wiigionfree has overwritten the update information
Segment 9: The file modifications have been saved and closed

Now, I actually programmed this without knowing that the entire process would be so quick! So in a way, it has become useless to the end user as long as the program works as it should. However, it might become useful in a future version when I add the "Create copy of ISO before patching"-option. Copying files, especially the 4.3GB size ones, takes a bit of time. I've always found progress bars that don't show the actual progress to be slightly stupid, so I make it a point to show concrete progress whenever possible.

Regarding the shape of the window, that will probably also change as more features are added. If features like "Force startup language" or "insert IOS version" come around, then the window will without a doubt be split into sections which will be easier to navigate.

As of now, 0.3 will have the following features (mostly thanks to your suggestions)
  • Automatic Updates / Check for updates from inside the program
  • Preferences such as "Default target region", "Create copy of ISO before patching", etc
  • Drag 'n Drop-support (not sure if I can make it work on the actual dock icon, but I will do my best)
What more would you guys like to see?

Once again, I thank you all for your interest! It's what's makes programming worthwhile.

Flagcarrier

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey people, 0.3 is now out. This application just keeps getting better and better.

Be sure to post any questions or feedback, just to let me know that the application is really being used!

kutis

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
thank youu...

now i can remove that stupid xp off my mac.

and a feature request, if i may.. a 'burn' button? it's always a hassle for burning iso on mac

thanks again

DjFIL

Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
I never knew this existed... i too will no longer have a need for VMware w/ XP... that's awesome. I'll try this tonight as I've got a PAL game I wanna get running. Thanks.

And burning ISO's is easy for me... i just mount it in disc utility and burn from there... never have had any issues.

jedzepp2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone having trouble with this program? I downloaded it, installed it, but when I add an ISO, the progress bar fills immediately and says it's finished. However, the ISO has not converted to the region I selected. Any suggestions?

Flagcarrier

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
and a feature request, if i may.. a 'burn' button? it's always a hassle for burning iso on mac

Thank you for the suggestion! While I might not add an actual "Burn" button (the code required to burn discs would make the program twice as large), I have however planned to make automator actions that come along with this program. So in that way, you can use the Automator to first extract an ISO, patch it to a certain region, and then burn it. I hope it will suit your needs!

Anyone having trouble with this program? I downloaded it, installed it, but when I add an ISO, the progress bar fills immediately and says it's finished. However, the ISO has not converted to the region I selected. Any suggestions?

The progress bar filling instantaneously is normal behaviour. Not converting the file is not. If you re-open the file in Wiigionfree OSX, which region does it say it has? What game did you try to patch, from and to which region? (so that I can try it out for myself)

Oh, and some general progress report: version 0.4 has all it's new features implemented and working. I'm just polishing it up a bit, which means that soon you'll have a new update being downloaded next time you start Wiigionfree OSX!

blackadder1st

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi there

Excellent work. Glad to see stuff like this on the Mac. Have always been a Mac user but had to rely on my Windoze for ISOs conversions.

I have a wee problem though with version 0.3 - when I try and open the app, it bounces around as normal, then disappears from the Dock. If I drag the icon onto the Dock to use always, no drag and drop is available, and clicking it does the same - it bounces for a bit then stops. Basically it won't load up. I'm using version 10.4.11 Tiger on a PPC (Graphite AGP) tower.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Cheers and thanks again

Allan

jedzepp2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The progress bar filling instantaneously is normal behaviour. Not converting the file is not. If you re-open the file in Wiigionfree OSX, which region does it say it has? What game did you try to patch, from and to which region? (so that I can try it out for myself)

Oh, and some general progress report: version 0.4 has all it's new features implemented and working. I'm just polishing it up a bit, which means that soon you'll have a new update being downloaded next time you start Wiigionfree OSX!

I tried Mario Kart and Rabbid Rabbits TV going from PAL to NTSC with Wiigionfree OSX. When I checked the files afterward, they said they were converted to be compatible with US Wiis. However, when I tried them on the Wii using Gamma Loader, the screens keeps rolling and is black and white. I tried adjusting the setting on the loader, but that didn't help anything, either. I read somewhere, where the conversion using Wiigionfree OSX should take around 30 secs, which is why I thought there was a problem when the progress bar filled up so fast. Am I missing a step here?

xbradyx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
downloaded the program and put in my applications folder. when i open it the program shows up in my dock for a second and then disappears...anyone else experienced this problem? i have osx 10.4.11 and the site says it should work with 10.4 and later. am i missing something here?

DjFIL

Trophies
Website
homepage.mac.com
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry, never experienced that issue. But I think I'm having issues with the 'remove updates' (ie... brickblocking) not working. Last 2 games I've tried (Sonic atBK and MLB 2K9) both show that updates have never been removed. They're both experiencing #002 errors if I try and load via WiiGator Boot Loader... and wants to update if I check from the Disc Channel. Anyone else, or suggestions? Thanks.

D

Deleted User

do anyone know where i can get this file? been searching for it but no luck. if anyone can provide me with a link to download that would greatly be appreciated

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn