WiiFree 1.22 + Source Released

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Opium, Mar 7, 2007.

Mar 7, 2007

WiiFree 1.22 + Source Released by Opium at 11:08 AM (3,873 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Opium
    OP

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia

WiiFree 1.22 + Source Released

Free, open source Wii modchip

[​IMG]

WiiFree, a free open source Wii modchip, has been brought up to version 1.22 and along with this release comes the source code for the project.

[​IMG] Download

[​IMG] Source

2. ChowMein

Member ChowMein GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Oh this is awesome, first time I heard of WiiFree too. Great news!

3. Little

Member Little I r Little

United Kingdom
    I wish i was still back at college doing electronics, we had pic programmers there [​IMG]; no access to one these days.

4. ssj4android

Member ssj4android GBAtemp Regular

Which is better, this or Chiip? It seems Chiip might be cheaper/easier if you build the programmer as well, plus it has Gamecube backup support.

5. Emu

Member Emu GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Granted it's free, some of us don't have PIC programmers or much knowledge of electronics. I think they'd make a killing in funding if they sold pre-done PIC Chips with the code on it. Even I would fork out 10-15$ to have this done for me, and they could also use the funds towards furthering the project. Kinda like a donation! That's just my opinion though..

6. unpaiktable

Newcomer unpaiktable Member

United Kingdom
    Woah.. nice feature list [​IMG]

7. gr33dy

Member gr33dy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Just what I was thinking! [​IMG]

8. Pikachu025

Member Pikachu025 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Austria
    Hey, the Chiip developer messed that up in his first beta (original Wii discs didn't run anymore XD), so I guess it's good to know...

9. 111111111

Member 111111111 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Zimbabwe
    But thats exactly what they don't want to do.

They give it away free so everyone can diy without some fat spotty nerd profitting.

10. Frz

Newcomer Frz Member

Germany
    There's a difference between providing the choice between buying a chip and programming it yourself to the sole possibility of buying it

11. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    heh still easier, cheaper, and more convenient to buy a modchip. I didn't think $39.99 was expensive for one. The original viper chip was way overpriced at $70+ when it came out. I wouldn't worry about 40 bucks. Probably end up spending at least $40 on the programmer and all the hardware. No such thing as a free mod chip unless someone gives you the hardware.

12. Sonstwer

Newcomer Sonstwer Newbie

Germany
    40 USD for the chip used for the WiiFree and the parts for the programmer would be quite a rip-off - I just checked a well known mail-order electronics company in Germany (Reichelt) and everything sums up to about 2.60 EUR. A PIC programmer can be really simple, see http://www.ps2-scene.org/forums/380789-post39.html for an example.

IIRC some people over on WiiNewz mentioned buying a pre-built programmer from eBay and even those wouldn't raise the price to your limit.

For me the WiiFree was actually free, I had a 12F675 and all parts for the programmer lying around. [​IMG]

13. joeglens

Newcomer joeglens Member

Philippines
    This is only recommended for people who really knows the ins and outs of electronics and/or microcontrollers.

Me im building 1 myself. I already have a decent home made PIC programmer (http://picallw.feniks-pro.com/pdf/p16pro.pdf) and i have 12F629 and 12F675 lying around from my previous projects.

If you want to buy chips, buy direct from microchip (http://www.microchipdirect.com/productsearch.aspx?Keywords=12f629)
    cost only $0.93 (12F629-I/P PDIP package) for 1-25 pcs order, cheaper for bulk orders