One more thing: i haven't even figured out how to display cart images in WFL, so i'm not touching cart disks unless i find a good reason to.Thanks. But once again the database is invalid. Please people, it's nice to help but try to be more careful.
How to check xml validity:
- The quick way but not very informative : open xml file in Firefox or any web browser.
- With xml tools (recommended) :
xmlstarlet val -e -s AMSTRAD_GX4000.xml
See the output:
AMSTRAD_GX4000.xml:2226: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: developer line 2215 and game
AMSTRAD_GX4000.xml:2896: parser error : xmlParseEntityRef: no name
<game name="Crafton & Xunk">
AMSTRAD_GX4000.xml:2899: parser error : xmlParseEntityRef: no name
<title>Crafton & Xunk</title>
AMSTRAD_GX4000.xml:3092: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: synopsis line 2215 and title
<synopsis>Cybernoid : The Fighting Machine</title>
AMSTRAD_GX4000.xml:3315: parser error : Input is not proper UTF-8, indicate encoding !
Bytes: 0x92 0x65 0x6D 0x20
The Dawn of Kernel is a flip-screen shoot�em up requiring skill and reflexes to
AMSTRAD_GX4000.xml:3482: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: game line 2215 and genre
AMSTRAD_GX4000.xml:3660: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: locale line 2215 and synopsis
AMSTRAD_GX4000.xml:3661: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: game line 2215 and locale
AMSTRAD_GX4000.xml:3673: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: datafile line 2215 and game
AMSTRAD_GX4000.xml:3674: parser error : Extra content at the end of the document
<game name="Double Dragon II - The Revenge">
Indeed, there are standards for a long time or else preservation would be a big mess. Well, the fact there are still at least 2 main filenaming is problematic.
And there's also the file's signature. Here for performance among other reasons, crcs and 'serial' headers for CD roms. Others rom managers are using md5 and sha1 now. Serials have been used for Snes too but off course it doesn't always work without a header in rom.
Anyway, as said the convention for filenaming used here is No-Intro(minus country flags etc) when possible. It covers most of the known 8/16 bits consoles.
For CD based, it's more complicated. Tosec was used but quite incomplete(seems better now). Redump is a reference nowadays.
For less known consoles and some computers it can be anything. Dedicated websites or whatever...
The main source was screenscraper.fr but a dozen of other databases too.
Regarding illegal characters. 2 main concerns. The OS and the filesystem.
There are also reserved names and other specifities on Windows(might also depend on version). No idea about Mac possible peculiarity. The Wii is Unix like.
The filesystem may have restrictions too. The most common here is fat32. No case sensitivity for example.
The GameID is screenscraper.fr filled with A letters. I've made it this way to have a fixed length string. Filling with A letter was post data creation and I forgot to rename the images.
Perhaps the initial commit may have helped to understand how this stuff work:
The snaphots/carts must be named with the <game name= value found in xml or with the full GameID. The <title> isn't used and that's why you must be very careful when you rename the game name in xml. Not sure why some of your images don't appear. Can you give example?
Here are a few remarks about data changes:
C64D.xml is invalid. The & character in <title>Zeros & Ones</title>.
It's not really an issue in WiiFlow but it's best to have clean files. You have to escape this character. Main escaped characters :
WiiFlow will translate them back again.Code:
" " ' ' < < > > & &
- Flintstones - The Treasure of Sierra Madrock, The --> Flintstones, The - The Treasure of Sierra Madrock (No-Intro name in .ini and .xml)
- Captain Tsubasa 3 - Koutei no Chousen --> Captain Tsubasa III - Koutei no Chousen
- F1 ROC II - Race of Champions --> F1-ROC II - Race of Champions
- Trials of Mana --> Seiken Densetsu 3 (officially never released in SuperNes era. Seiken Densetsu 3 was japanese exclusive. But the Press before US cancel was talking of Secret of Mana 2. Later with the fan translations it was also called that way with original jap name as subtitle. Trials of Mana only came recently for the Switch)
I haven't checked more than that. At this point, filling the data with script or manually should at least refer to the No-Intro dats if possible.
By the way, the platform.ini file isn't up to date. It doesn't contain AMSTRAD_GX4000 for example. I completely lost rack of it but it seems the latest one can be found here:
Pfiou, sorry for this long post.