Gaming WiiFit - Overweight?

alucard77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi All,

Just wanted to see how many of you are said to be over weight according to WiiFit? I was marked as over weight, which I guess I am, but to get to my ideal BMI seems rediculous.

I am 5'10" and I weigh 175 pounds. That is borderline overweight. I am not going to deny that. But the damn thing is saying to get to my ideal BMI I need to drop at least 20 pounds? What?? 5'10" at 155 is a bit rediculous. Muscle weighs twice as much as fat, so I would have to lose 30 pounds of fat and gain 10 pounds of muscle!

I read the articles about people getting called over weight by this game and didn't think anything of it. But I could see how this thing can give kids weight disorders. 155 at 5'10" doesn't seem healthy for me.

alucard77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well from the BMI calculators I found online, it says my weight is ideal. Just on the higher end. I obviously bought WiiFit because I want to get into some shape, while having it motivate me while I am doing it. Working out by myself never works. So I could stand to lose a few. My target weight is 165.

Btw, from the conversions I have seen, it is 1.524m and 79.5Kg.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dunno how reasonable the BMI is. I'm 6'4" and 230lbs. I have a bit of a belly pooch going, and slightly giggly man boobies, but i wouldn't say i'm fat by any means. I just checked the BMI and i'm "over weight."

Looks like i'd need to lose 30lbs to be "healthy."

200lbs for 6'4"? Really? That sounds a bit low.

Or else maybe that IS healthy, and because the standard of life is so much larger that our opinions of "healthy/unhealthy" have been altered from X number of years ago when the BMI was established.

Meh, don't care. I'm healthy, i'll be marked as "overweight" by WiiFit when i get it, and i won't give two shits
tongue.gif

Shuny

I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz
Trophies
Website
www.shunyweb.info
XP
Country
France
alucard77 said:
Hi All,

Just wanted to see how many of you are said to be over weight according to WiiFit? I was marked as over weight, which I guess I am, but to get to my ideal BMI seems rediculous.

I am 5'10" and I weigh 175 pounds. That is borderline overweight. I am not going to deny that. But the damn thing is saying to get to my ideal BMI I need to drop at least 20 pounds? What?? 5'10" at 155 is a bit rediculous. Muscle weighs twice as much as fat, so I would have to lose 30 pounds of fat and gain 10 pounds of muscle!

I read the articles about people getting called over weight by this game and didn't think anything of it. But I could see how this thing can give kids weight disorders. 155 at 5'10" doesn't seem healthy for me.
You fattie !
rofl2.gif

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
alucard77 said:
Well from the BMI calculators I found online, it says my weight is ideal. Just on the higher end. I obviously bought WiiFit because I want to get into some shape, while having it motivate me while I am doing it. Working out by myself never works. So I could stand to lose a few. My target weight is 165.

Btw, from the conversions I have seen, it is 1.524m and 79.5Kg.
http://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&clie...oeken&meta=
1.77800 meters
http://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&clie...oeken&meta=
70.3068174 kilograms

And overweigh shouldn't be seen as "You're a big fat hopeless bastard", but more like "You could lose some pounds without risking anorexia"

alucard77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well Fat, and overweight are two different things to me. Fat is visible. Overweight means lose to me, aka, belly / slight man boob.

Mucuna

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
lagman said:
Mucuna said:
That would be 1,52m and 70kg?

Actually, that still overweight.

Must be something wrong with this conversion page...

5'10 is like 1.75m

OK then!

Well, in this case, that's the avarage of an atletic shape. A little more, or a little less, depending on your biotype.

I am the same height and I am a guy that gains muscles easily. With 169 ponds I was in a really good shape (muscles counting).

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WildWon said:
I dunno how reasonable the BMI is. I'm 6'4" and 230lbs. I have a bit of a belly pooch going, and slightly giggly man boobies, but i wouldn't say i'm fat by any means. I just checked the BMI and i'm "over weight."

Or else maybe that IS healthy, and because the standard of life is so much larger that our opinions of "healthy/unhealthy" have been altered from X number of years ago when the BMI was established.

Meh, don't care. I'm healthy, i'll be marked as "overweight" by WiiFit when i get it, and i won't give two shits tongue.gif

I understand you don't give two shits, but maybe if you took two shits, that 30lbs would just disappear!

nyanya.gif
rofl2.gif
rofl.gif

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zidane_genome said:
WildWon said:

Meh, don't care. I'm healthy, i'll be marked as "overweight" by WiiFit when i get it, and i won't give two shits tongue.gif

I understand you don't give two shits, but maybe if you took two shits, that 30lbs would just disappear!

nyanya.gif
rofl2.gif
rofl.gif

I think that taking two shits and losing 30lbs would be a bit more unhealthy than my bouncy man titties.
smile.gif

Oh, and
@Alucard: Good call. Makes sense!
smile.gif

Lurick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with typical Body Mass Index formulas is that it doesn't really take into account the unique "build" types of individuals in the population at large ... rather, it works based on streamlined averages. Men in my family, for example, have big, thick, strong bones. The bones in my wrist and ankle are twice as thick as others I've noticed that tend to be as tall as me (6'4"). I also have a lot of natural muscle mass. Now, most BMI calculations tell me that as an adult male, 6'4" tall, I should be 185-190 lbs. If I tried that, however, I'd be a malnourished skeleton.

My entire frame just isn't built that way.

Then you'll have people on the other end of the scale, who tend to be very slight of build and kind of petite.

This is compounded by problems that I suspect they're using BMI averages for typical Asian body types ... which is going to skew the whole thing for caucasian builds.

Amiculi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The BMI is a horribly ineffectual method for rating someone's overall health anyway. Between its not taking in other pieces of information like body type, muscle mass and bone mass and it having never been intended to diagnose health, I find it a bit stupid for it to have been put into the software in the first place.

It was originally created by a Belgian mathematician and sociologist who was trying to make a connection between weight and social status. He postulated that rich people were more apt to be fat and would have a higher BMI rating... in the 1800's...

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Amiculi said:
The BMI is a horribly ineffectual method for rating someone's overall health anyway. Between its not taking in other pieces of information like body type, muscle mass and bone mass and it having never been intended to diagnose health, I find it a bit stupid for it to have been put into the software in the first place.

It was originally created by a Belgian mathematician and sociologist who was trying to make a connection between weight and social status. He postulated that rich people were more apt to be fat and would have a higher BMI rating... in the 1800's...

OK.. I give you 1 million dollars if you can make a software that measure muscle mass, bone mass and body type using only a balance board..
tongue.gif

Well, if you're already into shape why are buying Wiifit for!?

Amiculi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CockroachMan said:
Amiculi said:

OK.. I give you 1 million dollars if you can make a software that measure muscle mass, bone mass and body type using only a balance board..
tongue.gif

Well, if you're already into shape why are buying Wiifit for!?

I just mean that they should have come up with their own scoring system, they could easily incorporate clothing sizes or measurements in addition to other things and come up with a more accurate rating. It's just a personal beef, I don't have the game myself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr