WiiFit - Overweight?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by alucard77, May 23, 2008.

May 23, 2008

WiiFit - Overweight? by alucard77 at 6:36 PM (2,422 Views / 0 Likes) 23 replies

1. alucard77
    OP

Member alucard77 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hi All,

Just wanted to see how many of you are said to be over weight according to WiiFit? I was marked as over weight, which I guess I am, but to get to my ideal BMI seems rediculous.

I am 5'10" and I weigh 175 pounds. That is borderline overweight. I am not going to deny that. But the damn thing is saying to get to my ideal BMI I need to drop at least 20 pounds? What?? 5'10" at 155 is a bit rediculous. Muscle weighs twice as much as fat, so I would have to lose 30 pounds of fat and gain 10 pounds of muscle!

I read the articles about people getting called over weight by this game and didn't think anything of it. But I could see how this thing can give kids weight disorders. 155 at 5'10" doesn't seem healthy for me.

2. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    that would annoy me a lot actually, i'm already obsessive about my weight already lol

3. Mucuna

Member Mucuna GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    That would be 1,52m and 70kg?

Actually, that still overweight.

Must be something wrong with this conversion page...

4. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    5'10 is like 1.75m

5. alucard77
    OP

United States
    Well from the BMI calculators I found online, it says my weight is ideal. Just on the higher end. I obviously bought WiiFit because I want to get into some shape, while having it motivate me while I am doing it. Working out by myself never works. So I could stand to lose a few. My target weight is 165.

Btw, from the conversions I have seen, it is 1.524m and 79.5Kg.

6. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    I dunno how reasonable the BMI is. I'm 6'4" and 230lbs. I have a bit of a belly pooch going, and slightly giggly man boobies, but i wouldn't say i'm fat by any means. I just checked the BMI and i'm "over weight."

Looks like i'd need to lose 30lbs to be "healthy."

200lbs for 6'4"? Really? That sounds a bit low.

Or else maybe that IS healthy, and because the standard of life is so much larger that our opinions of "healthy/unhealthy" have been altered from X number of years ago when the BMI was established.

Meh, don't care. I'm healthy, i'll be marked as "overweight" by WiiFit when i get it, and i won't give two shits [​IMG]

7. Shuny

Member Shuny I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz

France
    You fattie ! [​IMG]

8. Monkey01

Member Monkey01 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    http://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&clie...oeken&meta=
    1.77800 meters
    http://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&clie...oeken&meta=
    70.3068174 kilograms

And overweigh shouldn't be seen as "You're a big fat hopeless bastard", but more like "You could lose some pounds without risking anorexia"

9. alucard77
    OP

United States
    Well Fat, and overweight are two different things to me. Fat is visible. Overweight means lose to me, aka, belly / slight man boob.

10. Mucuna

Member Mucuna GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    OK then!

Well, in this case, that's the avarage of an atletic shape. A little more, or a little less, depending on your biotype.

I am the same height and I am a guy that gains muscles easily. With 169 ponds I was in a really good shape (muscles counting).

11. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States

I understand you don't give two shits, but maybe if you took two shits, that 30lbs would just disappear!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    I think that taking two shits and losing 30lbs would be a bit more unhealthy than my bouncy man titties. [​IMG]

Oh, and
    @Alucard: Good call. Makes sense! [​IMG]

13. Lurick

Newcomer Lurick Advanced Member

United States
    The problem with typical Body Mass Index formulas is that it doesn't really take into account the unique "build" types of individuals in the population at large ... rather, it works based on streamlined averages. Men in my family, for example, have big, thick, strong bones. The bones in my wrist and ankle are twice as thick as others I've noticed that tend to be as tall as me (6'4"). I also have a lot of natural muscle mass. Now, most BMI calculations tell me that as an adult male, 6'4" tall, I should be 185-190 lbs. If I tried that, however, I'd be a malnourished skeleton.

My entire frame just isn't built that way.

Then you'll have people on the other end of the scale, who tend to be very slight of build and kind of petite.

This is compounded by problems that I suspect they're using BMI averages for typical Asian body types ... which is going to skew the whole thing for caucasian builds.

14. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States
    maybe there is a cheat code so it will tell you you are perfect.

15. Amiculi

Newcomer Amiculi Newbie

United States
    The BMI is a horribly ineffectual method for rating someone's overall health anyway. Between its not taking in other pieces of information like body type, muscle mass and bone mass and it having never been intended to diagnose health, I find it a bit stupid for it to have been put into the software in the first place.

It was originally created by a Belgian mathematician and sociologist who was trying to make a connection between weight and social status. He postulated that rich people were more apt to be fat and would have a higher BMI rating... in the 1800's...

16. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    OK.. I give you 1 million dollars if you can make a software that measure muscle mass, bone mass and body type using only a balance board.. [​IMG]

Well, if you're already into shape why are buying Wiifit for!?

17. sphere9

Member sphere9 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    181 cm tall

and i weigh 54kg,

so i'm underweight [​IMG]

18. Amiculi

Newcomer Amiculi Newbie

United States
    I just mean that they should have come up with their own scoring system, they could easily incorporate clothing sizes or measurements in addition to other things and come up with a more accurate rating. It's just a personal beef, I don't have the game myself.

19. gsarlis

Newcomer gsarlis Member

Greece
    Sorry but that's not underweight that's anorexic!

20. dweirdo

Member dweirdo GBAtemp Regular

Lithuania
    its not im 183 cm 50 kgs so...
    but its not that im anorectic, my bones are small ,so i guess im OVERWEIGHT [​IMG]