WiiConnect24 questions

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Mestizo, Dec 27, 2009.

Dec 27, 2009

WiiConnect24 questions by Mestizo at 8:01 PM (895 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. Mestizo
    OP

Newcomer Mestizo Member

United States
    1. If I have the Homebrew Channel on system menu 4.2, is it a good idea to have WiiConnect24 on?
    2. If I put the Wii on it's side so it's well ventilated, is it a good idea to put it on Standby Mode, even with the HBC?

2. icebrg5

Member icebrg5 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    If you play online,send and receive messages with friends through the wii message board i would leave WiiConnect24 on,but i would use either StartPatch4.2.6 or pre/priiloader to block online updates.

If you do not play online or use it to send and receive messages i would just turn it off completely.If you turn WiiConnect24 off then standby Mode is also turned off automatically.

I would turn Standby Mode off as well.I believe all it does is alert you when you have new messages or if updates are available.You can still leave WiiConnect24 on to use with online play and have Standby Mode off and it will still work.

3. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    The standby mode also updates channels like the forecast and news channels.
    But it may also cause the wii to become a little warm (since the fan doesn't work)

The HBC has no effect on anything though

4. Mestizo
    OP

Newcomer Mestizo Member

United States
    So, I can leave WC24 on, and it won't have any ill effects on the HBC?

I turned WC24 off last night after noticing an odd glitch. I downloaded Super Mario 64 from the Wii Shop Channel, the download was complete, then I got an error message (Lost connection mid-download. The download was only halfway done. I redownloaded it, and it works), then went to play my NES emulator. It took 20 seconds to load the Homebrew Channel, but after that one instant, even with WC24 on, it loaded almost immediately.

And I'm not gonna use StartPatch or Preloader. Seems too risky IMO. Besides, I only installed HBC so I don't have to be stuck sitting on my computer playing the ROMS