WiiConnect24 = brickage?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by SlyGuy, Jul 19, 2007.

Jul 19, 2007

WiiConnect24 = brickage? by SlyGuy at 7:42 PM (2,331 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. SlyGuy
    OP

Member SlyGuy GBAtemp Fan

Canada
  2. pewpz

Member pewpz GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The heat is actually causing my burns to become unreadable. Played RE4 for about 4 hours, then didn't touch it for about a week and then it wasn't being recognized in the Wii menu. So I burned it again on different media, played it perfectly for a few hours, left it in for a few days and the game crapped out loading a saved game, consistently. I'm on my 3rd copy now, turned off WiiConnect24 and hope to come back in a day to a working disk.

3. betaboy

Member betaboy GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    You've just solved my 'Why has this game stopped working?' puzzle. I didn't think about heat causing the discs to corrupt.

4. go185

Member go185 GBAtemp Regular

I havent modded my wii yet, but I guess im lucky that i bought a USB powered wii fan (when the wii is in standby, usb ports still receive power)

5. SlyGuy
    OP

Canada
    I really hope the heat won't ruin my backups as I don't have backups of my backups if you know what I mean. No HD space!

6. Lazycus

Member Lazycus Rotten

United States
    This is OLD news. Anybody that leaves WiiConnect24 on is asking for trouble. Just touch the case after a few minutes to see why. Even the Wii manual warns not to leave discs in the system. Nintendo had to notice this in testing - I still can't believe they didn't fix this before full production started and they still haven't fixed it.

7. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    I think the main thing to take away from that article (and probably this discussion) is not so much being concerned about leaving WiiConnect24 on all the time, but rather not leaving Stand-by on.

But I can believe that Nintendo knew about it beforehand and didn't do anything about it. Why? Because if they learned anything from the last generation, it was that getting to the party late is not only unfashionable, it's a death sentence. Right now they're flyin' high, and probably more than happy to pay the cost of replacing or repairing units, rather than take a much deeper hit in the long haul. It might not be a policy that does the consumer any good, but most folks won't notice as Nintendo continues to deposit large sacks of cash into their accounts.

8. SlyGuy
    OP

Canada
    Technically both Nintendo and Sony came to the party late. Microsoft got there a year before. Unfortunatly MS forgot to wear underwear and their shit is starting to leak through their khakis.

9. killah2km

Newcomer killah2km Member

United States
    I guess where your from it's common for people to take shits in their kakis lol [​IMG]

10. The Teej

Former Staff The Teej Also known as The Tjalian

United Kingdom
    Hmm, so that's why my Wii is so hot...

My Wii has burning hot and I was actually kind of scared, I didn't understand... so I just turned the Unit fully off. Maybe I'll just leave my Wii on more often?

11. GexX2

Member GexX2 Lurker

United States
    WiiConnect24 is also the cause of most of the artifacting some people get on RE4 Wii. It also shows up on the channel selection screen as well. The wireless card is running in standby mode with no cooling, and wireless cards get HOT. After so long that heat may start to damage your Wii's internals. Just turn standby mode off fron the WiiConnect24 menu.

12. shadow1w2

Member shadow1w2 Still here.

United States
    Glad my discs never got damaged.
    This explains why my Wii over heats so much.
    It seems to do alright on my desk, but tends to get really hot when next to the TV.
    Plus maybe the heat was the cuase of my clicking disc wheel. (noise is driving me nuts)

I tend to leave my Wii unplugged and dont bother to play it much anymore.

Does turning off Wiiconnect24 really lower the heat? Though there would be no point in keeping it on if I cant receive messeges and get that nice blue flash when its on standby.

13. WeaponXxX

Member WeaponXxX Too F'in Blonde

United States
    Well this did help me as well, my system was hot...sooo hot I woulda called Nintendo but I didn't want to waste my time getting some shitty refurb back like I got with my DS. This seemed to help, hope I didn't fry the internals too bad [​IMG]

14. comapro

Newcomer comapro Advanced Member

United States
    My first Wii was really hot with WiiConnect24 on. It was giving me artifacts in Zelda. I sent it back and got a new one that works just fine. It's a lot less hot but still warm.

15. [M]artin

Member [M]artin .

United States
    You guys should look into buying a Wii-cooling-stand dealie. I know there are a couple out there that cool the system from the bottom and it acts as a stand as well. You'll have to read the reviews, however, since I've never tried one.

THIS ONE seems fairly popular. (HERE'S a review of it.)

Is that a lot for a console? Either way, it does keep the Wii cooler than normal, it comes with pretty Wii-style LED's (which you can switch off if you please), plus it's only 19 bucks.

16. captain^k

Member captain^k GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    I did try a fan but when the damage is done, it's permanent [​IMG]

But for everyone that doesn't have the speckled graphics yet, good luck and make sure your hearing aid is turned off or that your TV is turned up to DEAF so you can't hear the fan [​IMG]

17. Takeshi

Member Takeshi GBAtemp Addict

Germany
    I'll have to send mine in too! :'( Gonna call NOE today and check what'll happen to my VC games.

I turn it on almost once a day and it started about a week after I bought it, but it's getting worse. When playing Zelda TP the artefacts are most noticeable on dark surfaces and there are quite a lot of them. Damn you, WiiConnect24!

A theory:
    If it's really the wireless cart that's causing the heat, wouldn't it be possible to get the Nintendo LAN adapter and then leave WiiConnect24 on again without overheating? Or are normal LAN carts getting hot too (I'm not too firm with this kind of stuff)?

18. lanleague

Member lanleague GBAtemp Regular

United States
    You should just turn it off. It creates a lot of heat in the system.

19. Da Foxx

Member Da Foxx GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Oh wow... This is really new to me. I've had the Wiiconnect24 on since the day I got my Wii which was on lunch day and I haven't noticed any problems so far. I've turned it off now. But now I've got to throw in more cash for the cooling fan fuck.