Hacking WII64

Gus122000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I downloaded the latest version and the games were obviously unplayable. I remember reading somewhere that they decided to stop the project. Is that true?

retrospect

Trophies
XP
Country
Wii64 seems like a very strange way to go about N64 emulation on the Wii.

Surely the following concepts have more potential:

Hex edit a downloaded N64 game channel so that rather than loading a built-in ROM, it loads a .v64 from SD.

OR

Create homebrew N64 'game' and inject this into an N64 WAD. Now you have Nintendo's own n64 emulator running custom code. Use this (with a menu) to load a .v64 or have the program add the data from an existing .v64 to itself

OR

Take the emulator code from the Gamecube Zelda Collectors Edition disc. Replace the Zelda ROM. This would use Gamecube mode, disable the SD slot and thus require the ROM to be embedded. However, the modified Gamecube emulator could be packed as a dol, saved on the SD and launched via HBC. Each game would need to be packed with the emulator separately. This would allow the HBC to act as an emulator.

The later option seems to most likely way to get Jet Force Gemini up and running on the Wii.

geegee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A) We can inject N64 games (basically the same thing), 99% of the time it doesn't work. The emulators have special settings for one game only.

B) You want to build a N64 rom that is also an emulator. That has to be the most retarded idea ever.

C) You can inject games into the gc emulator too. It has roughly the same compatibility as VC injects. And there is NO WAY to make a gc game into a homebrew app. Maybe if you flew to Japan, broke into Nintendo headquarters, gained access to their computers, and stole the source code...then maybe.

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
geegee said:
there is NO WAY to make a gc game into a homebrew app. Maybe if you flew to Japan, broke into Nintendo headquarters, gained access to their computers, and stole the source code...then maybe.

ROFL!!!!....and it is still a maybe.
sign me up for that mission!

basically....just because wii homebrew has dols and gc homebrew have dols....that does not make them the same....as has been said many times.....HBC will not load GC dol files.
wii64 is pretty sweet....

blazingwolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its been worked on a lot since the team twiizers teaser release, a lot, practically no graphic glitches, the only thing left to implement really is a working dynarec. For now its using an interpreter which is pretty slow, but once the dynarec is complete it will be fullspeed and almost finished, just tweaks to get full 60FPS on every game and maybe some compatability issues. Other than that its actually almost done, just need to finish the dynarec to get fullspeed. You could get someone to build the latest source and play around with that one, its vastly superior to the one that came out during the HBC release.

DrYHeLL

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
geegee said:
there is NO WAY to make a gc game into a homebrew app. Maybe if you flew to Japan, broke into Nintendo headquarters, gained access to their computers, and stole the source code...then maybe.

And then used top secret military technology to escape.... Is it just me or does that sound like a scene from "Dark Knight"?

And I believe it is still being developed because.

A.) they've come this far why stop now?
and
B.) I recall reading somewhere that while emu_kidd and some other dude work on WIISX, the third guy would finish up some issues with WII64

So yeah it is still lives!

Meksilon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
retrospect: Wii64 seems like a very strange way to go about N64 emulation on the Wii.

Surely the following concepts have more potential:[*]Hex edit a downloaded N64 game channel so that rather than loading a built-in ROM, it loads a .v64 from SD.[*]Create homebrew N64 'game' and inject this into an N64 WAD.[*]Take the emulator code from the Gamecube Zelda Collectors Edition disc. Replace the Zelda ROM.

For a start, none of these options are strictly legal; as all require the pirating of a propriety emulator who's copyright is current. On the other hand, emulators released into the public domain can be used legally.

1. I doubt that would be possible - and at best it would only be compatible with ROMS which both: use the same or a similar engine, and are equal in size or smaller than the host ROM. Also, you'll never be able to use rumble or emulate the controller save pak.

2. This option works well, but only with a limited selection of games. And there'll never be any rumble feature or controller save-pak emulation.

3. That emulator is only capable of running half a dozen roms; and won't be compatible with the classic controller (only the Gamecube controller). And, unless someone can explain what I did wrong when I injected my ROMS into my own disc months ago - the save feature does not work!

The good thing about option number "2" is that it's available right now, not in the future. However, homebrew emulation will provide a far better option in the future, once it's running at full speed.

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ManZero said:
I hope it is compatible with Remote+Nunchuck. I don't get why people like GC controllers so much, wires simply does not fit the Wii imo!
hmmmm... theres this thing called the wavebird. heard of it?

a3HeadedMonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
dinofan01 said:
ManZero said:
I hope it is compatible with Remote+Nunchuck. I don't get why people like GC controllers so much, wires simply does not fit the Wii imo!
hmmmm... theres this thing called the wavebird. heard of it?

Damn strait!

MyWii-1.jpg

Wavebirds are cruise control to cool!
cool.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat