Wii Zapper is ridiculous

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Bob Loblaw, Sep 11, 2007.

Sep 11, 2007

Wii Zapper is ridiculous by Bob Loblaw at 10:20 PM (1,744 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. Bob Loblaw
    OP

Member Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

United States
    The new wii zapper looks ridiculous to me. It is just a piece of plastic so that you can hold the wii remote and nunchuk in the shape of a gun. You could hold them in that position without the "zapper" if you really wanted. The whole thing with nintendo wii is that the wiimote itself IS a "wii zapper"

anyone else agree? or is anyone actualy looking forward to it? anyone actually going to spend money on it? what are your thoughts

edit: i also just realized you won't even be able to use for it many games because the motions they require you to do. red steel for example a game where you do shoot a lot but then you would have to take it all apart to do some of the sword moves that require you to crisscross the controllers

2. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    I completely agree with what you said. It's just for novelty purposes... Doesn't serve any real use at all. Like you said, you can just hold them in the same position for the same "effect."

One of the main reasons the Wii was so exciting is because of how the Wiimote can act like a gun in your hand.. Now this Zapper thing is just taking it 10 steps backwards.

3. Icarus

Member Icarus fire walk with me

United States
    And other thing is, when you use the zapper, you'll only have access to 3 buttons[B, C and Z] and the analog stick. How exactly are you going to play games with 3 buttons ? You can only play games like Resident Evil: UC and other rail-on shooters, but otherwise, it's pretty useless. Besides I can aim just fine with one hand, without the need of a zapper.

4. squeakypants

Newcomer squeakypants Member

United States
    You don't get it... the point is to make it feel like you're pointing and shooting a gun, versus just rotating your wrist. All it needs to be is a piece of plastic [​IMG]

That said, the zapper is really fucked up ergonomically. I complained about it on another forum awhile ago:
    http://theboard.zogdog.com/index.php?showtopic=20001

Personally, I'll get one of the knockoff pistols for the same price (but without Zelda Duck Hunt) as long as it's still compatible with RE:UC and MoHH2.

5. Pigwooly

Member Pigwooly GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Seeing as it's only 20 bucks for the Wii Zapper and it comes with the Zelda Crossbow game, not only am I getting it, but I'm really looking forward to it. Why? I love Zelda and I love on rails shooters. (I know most people hate them, but most people are idiots) [​IMG]

Note: It does look shitty compared to the prototype, but it's dirt cheap so whatever. Personally, I don't wanna judge it till I tried it. Tons of people said the wiimote wouldn't work well and the DS was gonna be gimmicky crap, but they turned out awesome.

6. Killian

Newcomer Killian Member

United Kingdom
    I was hoping they'd come up with an all new Wiimote for shooters......... instead of having to connect the current one as no matter how cost effective it may be it kind of limits the games.......... why can't they just bring out a normal gun so I can play the shoot em ups like the good ol time crisis and house of the dead.

The wiimote works but it hardly feels like holding a gun now does it!

And with that wiizapper, your gonna have to shoot from just above the hip unless you want arm ache after the first half hour......... come on nintendo.........!!!!!!

7. webjedi

Member webjedi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'll probably get one cause I got all the other Wii crap... but you know what looks like the worst part. Hooking up the pieces!!! Ok the Wii remote snaps on the top, but then it looks like you hook the Nunchuka on the back and have to thread the wire through the back, and store the extra wire in the middle storage area and plug it in. So not something to do quickly but a few minute project to set it up for each use. PITA!!! [​IMG]

8. Pigwooly

United States
    My couch and TV are set up perfect so I can sit on it and aim the Wiimote at a perfect level comfortably. I won't have any problems [​IMG] I can even rest my elbows on my knees.

9. Bob Loblaw
    OP

United States
    yeah it would be ok for on-rail shooters (and umbrella chronicles is a game i'm very much looking forward to) but i'm not going to spend an extra 20 dollars to play it ,like shaunj said its a back step for nintendo

they should have just made a whole new gun like killian said

10. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    finally an official one.. I thought the 3rd party ones were fine, this one looks kinda weird..reminds me of the super scope 6 which didn't do too well..but at least this time it's only 20 bucks, that's close to nothing especially with the current value of a $20 in the usa. our money is nearly matching canadain money which means my bank account is totally worthless.

11. Pigwooly

United States
    I think you need to think of it more like a pistol. Just don't hold it firmly with the left hand. Aim and shoot with the right hand, like a handgun (if you're right handed) and use your left hand on the nunchuck, but I wouldn't firmly grip the damn thing with my left hand. Just sort of rest it there. Think of it like a messed up pistol with extra crap on the back. The nunchuck is the Hammer and the part with the grip and trigger is the part with the grip and trigger on a normal gun. It's far from an ideal design I agree, but I think it'll be better than nothing. At least for on rails shooters. We'll see though, Nintendo has about a 50/50 track record of brilliance to pure crap. [​IMG] Also, their prototype shotgun looked way better. Guess I'm the only one looking forward to this (although mainly for the free game that comes with it.)

12. Upperleft

Member Upperleft Namcoholic

United Arab Emirates
    i use a deferent version of it ..
    and it's not from nintendo [​IMG]

it's better cuz the nunchuck is much closer and you can press
    any button you want

well,, i'm using it for MP3 =P

lol, kinda weird and disturbing
    but cool i think =D

13. superrob

Member superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Denmark
    Well Call Of Duty 3 has would work [​IMG]

14. Da Foxx

Member Da Foxx GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    No one is going to make you buy it. You don't want to buy it fine. You don't have to. Its great that Nintendo is putting out stuff like these. For one I'm looking to buy this even though its just a piece of plastic. The overall experience changes if you ever have played shooter games at an arcade you would understand.

15. Bob Loblaw
    OP

United States
    i have a dreamcast with a light gun and time crisis and dynamite cop and house of the dead 2

the wii zapper is silly compared to that one i think, i think they rushed the design

16. cubin'

Member cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    yeah it's pretty stupid but I'll end up buying it for zelda crossbow training.

DS light gun-like games don't feel anything like the real thing and the cursor lags a bit [​IMG]

17. T-hug

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    lol what an absolute PoS! Got to be the worst video game peripheral ever, even worse than that flimsy Zelda Sword Shield PoS. Seems were not the only ones who think so either, hope to see something on this on penny arcade lol.
    [​IMG]

18. Bob Loblaw
    OP

United States
    LOL @ piece of shit alert do not buy this if you value your sanity! haha that's the best

19. WK416

Member WK416 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States