Wii won't start up properly with HDD plugged in.

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by RedHero, Dec 13, 2013.

1. RedHero
    OP

RedHero GBAtemp Regular

Dec 27, 2008
    Netherlands
    So I was going through some problems earlier this week. My laptop wouldn't recognize the external HDD as an HDD, but the Wii would still read it perfectly fine... so I couldn't add anything from my laptop to it.

I think the reason was that one of the pins in the case was loose and now it won't be read at all anymore in that case. Anyhow, put the HDD in a new case and my laptop had no problem recognizing it. But now a new problem arose, which is that the Wii won't start up properly if I have it plugged it. It'll automatically go to the Priiloader menu (I think, the white screen with some options) or it will crash at the warning screen that appears when you start the console up.

The Wii starts up just fine if I have it unplugged. If I plug it in later, USB loaders will give an error.

What do you guys think I could do to solve this problem? Would reformatting the HDD help? It's currently WBFS, but I suppose it would be a good chance to finally start using FAT32 (used the thing since the start of USB loading days). Or is it just the case that's causing the problem?

2. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    Yes you should try formatting your USB sitck fat32. The same thing almost happened to me when me Flash drive would not work on my wii and would make it crash alot but is was because it needed to be format.

3. RedHero
    OP

RedHero GBAtemp Regular

Dec 27, 2008
    Netherlands
    Well, now I have a completely different problem. Formatting the HDD didn't help at all, so I did some searching for the error and it appeared that updating priiloader should help. So I did that and it helped. But the system still won't mount the HDD and I can't figure out why. In the meantime I've pretty much fully updated my Wii by following a recent softmod guide, didn't encounter any problem and it still won't be mounted correctly (doesn't matter if WBFS or FAT32).

Could the problem be the case itself? Because it worked fine with the previous case (until it broke). I'm hoping you guys can offer me some miraculous solution that doesn't require me to spend €15-€20 for a new HDD case which I can't really afford at the moment.